Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Into a Time Warp... Long

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Into a Time Warp... Long

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-08, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Into a Time Warp... Long

This afternoon, I felt like I stepped back in time 40 years. I was out for a quick ride, and was passing a convience store where I saw a group of older riders standing next to their bikes that all appeared to have chrome lugs. So, I thought I'd stop for some hot chocolate as an excuse to see what was going on. As I wheeled up closer, one of the guys yelled, "Nice jersey." I forgot I was wearing my 50+ jersey over three other layers. I replied, "Thanks.", and pulled to a stop next to them. What I saw was just short of unbelievable. There were five Schwinn Paramounts and one Schwinn Vouyager. They all appeared to be 60s or 70s vintage, and none of them had more than five cogs in the rear. All original equipment. It turns out the guys riding them were all in their late 60's except the one they called Ackerman. He had just turned 70.

So, I spent about 20 minutes with them and found out only their first names or nick names. There was Sal, he lost his wife 10 years ago and lived near Middleburg, PA. Turns out all of them had lost their wives, and only one remarried. Then, Harold was introduced as being, "From one of those God forsaken cities on the west coast." I was then introduced to Clark, Bing, and Woodsy. These guys were having the time of their lives as they joked, talked, and laughed with the kind of ease that only comes from knowing each other for a long time. It turns out I was right. They had been riding together, playing golf, and fishing (for large mouth bass, Woodsy was quick to point out) for over 35 years. None of them were from this area. They spent most of their time planning and then taking adventures all across the country. This particular ride was to honor Ackerman.

But at the moment everyone was angry at Ackerman. Harold called out to him, "Ackerman, tell him why we've been here so damned long." Ackerman just sneered. Woodsy, however, spoke up and said, "The damn fool is riding on sew-ups and got a flat. Now we can't get the glue to hold the tire on. So, we're waiting for Clark's wife to bring the Bago (I assume he meant Winnabago) with a new wheel." Bing jumped in and said, "Yeah, we had quite a time just talking him out of wearing those old shoes with the wooden soles and nailed on cleat. He says he likes to keep things pure. I think he's just being a jackass." At this point Ackerman came over and took a close look at my bike. I suspect his real reason was to better hear what others were saying about him in the hopes he could defend himself. He asked, "Is that one of them carbon bikes?" I replied that it was, but not in the same league as what they were riding. There were grins all around. Harold asked how much it weighed. So, I invited him to lift it. He did, and then so did everyone else. Bing said, "Hey Sal, this would be a heck of a lot easier than trying to lose that five pounds you're always talking about. Why don't you get yourself one of these." We talked for a few more minutes about their bikes and mine, when I noticed Clark and Harold headed back in the store. Several minutes later Clark came out opening a small tin of cocktail sausages. Sal saw this and said, "Ah, do you have to eat that? Nobody's gonna want you to pull now." Clark just grinned as Sal added, "When he eats those things he gets incredible gas. I think he does it on purpose." I then noticed Harold coming out holding an ice cream cone. He took it over to a little girl I had not been paying attention to who had dropped hers. He asked the girl's mother (who was busy talking on her cell phone) if he could give the ice cream to her. The mother nodded, yes. As he gave the ice cream to the girl her face just lit up.

Well, I couldn't stay around and talk any longer. I had a phone call I was expecting at home. But as I rode away I kept thinking, I'm pretty proud to be part of the group of riders who are 50+. In another 10 years I hope to have as much class as these guys.

Last edited by BSLeVan; 02-08-08 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-08-08, 03:55 PM
Been around

Bikes: Recumbent

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the great story - O to have a group of friends like that!!!!

G
Old 02-08-08, 04:16 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for the report.

It made me smile!
Old 02-08-08, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Made my day. Thanks.
Old 02-08-08, 05:12 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bravo!!! Thanks for sharing a positive story. Been a lot of
negativity lately. You made me smile and kinda brought me
back to Earth.
Old 02-08-08, 05:18 PM
Recumbent Trike

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
VERY enjoyable! A terrific escape from polotics, stress, road, economic ups and downs. Thanks for the big grin!

counterstrike
Old 02-08-08, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Great story!

Paul
Old 02-08-08, 05:40 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I want to be one of those guys someday.
Old 02-08-08, 06:15 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Count me in! I'ld like to be with them someday!

Great Story! It is just dripping with good friends and great relationships!

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 02-08-08, 07:11 PM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great story. I'm old enough, now if I only still had my 53 RollFast.
Old 02-08-08, 07:13 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for a great story. I love reading these types of posts.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 02-08-08, 08:31 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
Yeah, we had quite a time just talking him out of wearing those old shoes with the wooden soles and nailed on cleat. He says he likes to keep things pure. I think he's just being a jackass.
Thank you for today's belly laugh!
Old 02-08-08, 08:41 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Good stuff!
Old 02-08-08, 09:10 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Thanks, I am now grinning from ear to ear! As said, I want to be one of those guys some day.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-08-08, 10:00 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nice story. I ran into a group like this a couple of years ago. They traveled once a year to somewhere to ride and (I think) drink. They all had to heft my CF Giant and joke about their vintage steeds. Hmmmm. Maybe it was the same group. Thanks for sharing.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades