Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   What type of shoes? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/386788-what-type-shoes.html)

BillK 02-10-08 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 6141687)
except that using cleat covers on road cleats makes walking on dirt much less of a problem.

True, but having seen what 5K cyclists milling around a few tables of food & drink can do to a wet piece of earth, I'm also sure there are some situations that even cleat covers can't conquer!

BluesDawg 02-10-08 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 6142116)
I have three things to say to you: "Quack! Quack! Quack!"

I have lots of practice doing the duck walk and I'm quite proud of my expertise.:p Sometimes I find myself going into a convenience store in regular shoes walking on my heels. It just seems natural after all these years.
Riding my road bike with tiny little cleats making hot spots on my feet does not seem nearly as natural. :rolleyes:

Retro Grouch 02-11-08 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 6142871)
I have lots of practice doing the duck walk and I'm quite proud of my expertise.:p Sometimes I find myself going into a convenience store in regular shoes walking on my heels. It just seems natural after all these years.
Riding my road bike with tiny little cleats making hot spots on my feet does not seem nearly as natural. :rolleyes:

I hear you. I've been blessed with never having the "hot foot" experience. :)

Ranger63 02-11-08 08:34 AM

Shoe and pedal combo

I like shimano pedals. The M520s are usually on sale thru one of the outlets (and occassionally a deal can be had thru ebay)
Shoes..Last season I discovered the Nike Kato. Sadly,I didn't take advantage of the closeout Nashbar had on the origionals.
The kato is very much like the old Bata Biker..Nice, comfortable fit, cycling shoe with the rubberised toebox and heel.
Nike now offers the 3 strap Kato3. That lower strap looks like an afterthought.
The problem I discovered with buying on line (shoes especially)is the fit. One makers 11 is anothers 10 or 10.5

donheff 02-11-08 09:13 AM

I like MTB shoes and SPD pedals with clips on one side and a platform on the other. I run the same pedals on my good bike and my beater hybrid. On the good bike it is easy to drop the clips and ride the platform sides in real tight stop and go conditions. On the hybrid I can jump on with regular shoes for a short commute if I don't feel like bothering with the bike shoes.

Beverly 02-11-08 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 6142871)

I only get the hot spots if I wear the sandals for more than 60 miles. I've never had the problem with my regular shoes and SPD pedals. I have Specialized BG shoes with the metatarsal button to keep the pressure off the nerves that cause "hot foot".

Road Biker has a very helpful article on the cause and how to prevent it.

Scroll down for the link to the article on Hot Foot.

CACycling 02-11-08 11:03 AM

I am a returning cyclist and recent convert to clipless. I rode with toe clips from the time I got out of high school until this past Christmas. Up until last September, that meant I was in toe clips an average of 10 miles per year. Started riding seriously last September (my 48th birthday) and for Christmas received a set of Shimano M520 pedals and Answer Flatfoot shoes. WOW! What a great combination. I've logged over 300 miles in them and they have been awesome. Easy to engage/disengage, great feel when in the pedal and still comfortable shoes for walking around.

Ordered both online. Niagara Cycle Works had a special on the pedals for under $30 with shipping and the shoes were new on eBay for less than $20 with shipping. As others mentioned, sizing is a crapshoot. The first pair I got were size 13/47 but fit like size 12. Sold them on Craig's List for a buck more than I paid and got the size 14/48 from the same seller and they fit perfect.

Old School 02-11-08 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 6138579)
I would suggest the MTB route for shoes. Unless you are an out and out racer that gets on the bike and next time you stop is after a quick 100 miles and it is home. I have been looking for a Look or Time type shoe that is walkable in but yet to find one.

On the pedals- The Shimano M520 is not bad but on Boreas last year- I got the A520's. Only one sided but they have a longer platform for the shoe. It does make for a bit more comfort on longer rides.

Can assure you that SPD's are the way to go- and please take a friend with the camera with you for the first fall. And cycling specific shoes have a very firm sole that does make for better pedalling efficiency.

+1
I also like two-sided Shimano M520 pedals on the MTB and single-sided Shimano A520 pedals on my road bike. I use SPD cleats on both my off-road (Cannondale) shoes and road shoes (Pearl Izumi) for ease of walking when I tie up to the ol' Starbucks or local pie shop! :)

stapfam 02-12-08 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 6143874)
I hear you. I've been blessed with never having the "hot foot" experience. :)

After about 8 years of Small pedals- I did not realise about the hot spot on the foot. Just thought it was normal for the foot to hurt after 4 hours riding. Then I got the A520's for the Boreas and realised what it was. Longer platform on the A520's and it does stop the hot spot.

RockyMtnMerlin 02-12-08 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 6138894)
Whatever you decide-try the shoes you prefer on-especially if you have wide or narrow feet or issues with arches. Don't take a gamble by getting them online unless you've tried wearing them first. Bike shoes are notorious for the same size fitting differently-even with different models under the same manufacturer.

Nail on the head! It is just plain weird how different bike shoes, in the same size, can be from manufacturer to manufacturer. Manufacturers have even been known to change "lasts" within a model year to year.

Retro Grouch 02-12-08 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ranger63 (Post 6144299)
The problem I discovered with buying on line (shoes especially)is the fit. One makers 11 is anothers 10 or 10.5

That's less of a problem than it appears at first glance.

Buy 3 pairs straddling the size that you think that you need. Return the 2 pairs that don't fit. All it takes is 1 trip to the UPS store. If you're quick you'll only have 1 pair show up on your credit card bill.

HopedaleHills 02-12-08 01:56 PM

I use Crank Bros Candys on all mine and my wifes bikes. They are easy all around pedals. For shoes the only choice is Sidi Dominators. A little expensive but like a dream for your feet. I tried two other brands and both caused hotspots or discomfort.

BluesDawg 02-12-08 02:38 PM

Many different answers based on different uses and preferences. The only way any of these answers can be wrong is if it is claimed that one is the only right answer.

Old School 02-12-08 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 6151219)
Buy 3 pairs straddling the size that you think that you need. Return the 2 pairs that don't fit. All it takes is 1 trip to the UPS store. If you're quick you'll only have 1 pair show up on your credit card bill.

I guess that would work if your closest LBS doesn't carry the shoe you want, or the online deal is a real bargain. Buying three pairs and returning two would be too much effort for me!

Camilo 02-14-08 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jet Travis (Post 6139224)
...spill Gatorade all over my full Team Discovery kit.

You should always buy Gatorade (or in my case the FAR SUPERIOR Powerade ;) ) in a color that matches either your jersey or at least one of the logos on your jersey - preferably the one that sits over your chest/gut area. I have yellow, blue and red jerseys and therefore have no difficulty finding the right color powerade. I would never dream of wearing a white jersey.

gpelpel 02-14-08 09:51 PM

I have both types.
I use Sidi Genius 5 Mega (I have wide feet) for my road bike with Time RSX Carbon pedals. I used to have Look Keo but they required carrying rubber pads in the seat bag otherwise they were treacherous while walking. The Time cleats have built-in rubber pods so walking around is easy and safe, you still have the toes pointing upward though.
For my MTB I use bottom of the line Shimano shoes with Crank Brothers pedals and cleats. The shoes look like regular sport shoes with plenty of rubber to allow for good traction on muddy slopes. The cleats are recessed so no clic-clac sound when going for a coffee break. They are also safe for driving back home.