Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

bike shorts??

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

bike shorts??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Shorts are not that expensive that I would ever ride without them. Just buy a pair and try them. You won't go back.
+100 to the above. That said what kind of riding are you going to do? The issue will come to the fore when you experience chafing from your underclothes while riding. Padded shorts are da bomb for this problem. Not overly expensive and the suggestion of a padded short liner($20) is a good place to start.
Old 02-11-08, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, there I was, on the Celebrity Millenium.
I knew I was going to hit the LifeCycle in the on-board gym so I packed a pair of PIs for the trip.The best part was after I was done and I did a cool-down walk around the top deck. Still in my shorts
Oh, I got the looks
Old 02-11-08, 11:35 AM
Hanging On

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the shorts. At 5'7" and 126 pounds now I don't have any gut to worry about (thank you. low carb diet!). I buy shorts that fit me well and don't sag . BTW I have a long torso and short arms and legs. I'm also very thin, so I'm worried that bib shorts that fit me in the shorts part would get pulled up by the straps, giving me the dreaded "wedgie" effect.

-soma5
Old 02-11-08, 12:31 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Let me start by saying I don't care too much what I look like. If total strangers see me in bike shorts and think I look dorky, what do I care? I'm a little more concerned about what my students and co-workers think of me so I wouldn't wear Spandex to school, but if they see me out in public, well, I'm a bike rider!

I used to be among those who thought they looked dorky and never wore them. Then I got some and tried them. Now I wear bike shorts on any ride over a mile or two.

I like the padding. It helps. I like the fact that they stay put and don't rub. That's not a concern on a short ride, but when you're riding 40 or 50 miles a day (or more), day after day, like I do on tour, chafing can be a serious problem. Even on a once-a-week 25 mile ride, chafing can happen. I just feel more comfortable without seams I can feel, and without my shorts sliding on my skin with every pedal stroke.

My wife thinks she looks horrible in Spandex bike shorts and refuses to wear them. She bought some padded, baggy, mountain bike shorts. She loves them. I bought a pair to try them out. The padding is still good, they don't look dorky, and they have pockets (which is a plus off the bike I guess - I wouldn't use them while riding.) But they rub on my thighs. I think I'll wear them on my class bike ride, but other than that, I'm not sure.

I've probably got 15 pairs of Spandex bike shorts, and have thrown away close to that many in the past. I tried various brands and models until I found ones that felt the best for a good price - in my case, Performance Centuries. That's important to me, because many of my shorts just don't feel right. YMMV.
Old 02-11-08, 02:18 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
One thing to realise is that there are different Qualities on Shorts or Bibs. The basic cheap ones are a manufactured from just 4 panels of material. The comfortable ones are 8 panel.

Saying that- After ordinary shorts- a basic 4 panel pair of Cycling shorts are very comfortable. Just don't buy the cheap ones in a size that are even a fraction small. But even they have an advantage as you don't get many wheel sucking when you wear thin Lycra- stretched just a bit too much

Spike Milligan
Old 02-11-08, 03:06 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The shorts you wear really depend on the riding you do. As you ride more miles, and if you ride faster, you will want to wear lycra shorts. I have been wearing lycra shorts since the mid-1980's, and would not wear anything else for a club or training ride. If I were riding to the grocery store or something short like that, I would wear either mountain shorts, or other shorts.
Old 02-11-08, 03:08 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I vote for Bibs! I have a bunch of mountain bike shorts that I wear for the right occasion. I was embarrassed about tight shorts and would wear them on the road. They all seem to be cut a bit smaller and they certainly are not any cheaper than bibs. They are not comfortable for a long ride over an hour. Seems I spend most of my time out of the saddle when mountain biking, so they aren't built for riding and sitting for long periods.

Take a look at these Performance Ultra Bibs They are on sale for 59.99 and are ten panel and really well made and comfortable. They fit like they should in the size they are marked. I haven't tried other brands that cost well over a $ 100.00 like Pear Ozume or others. They may be like riding naked with support, but the Performance Ultra Bibs do just fine for me.

There is always BPD's - Bicycle Padded Depends
They let you ride without worrying about that "I gotta go feeling."

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 02-12-08, 06:31 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus ,Trek 850, Gt Agressor-wife Specialized Crossroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am already chafed ..I didn't realize that bike shorts would help in that area, My original thoughts were
that racers used them for speed and I didn't need that as I am not racing. Or guys wore them to show off.
I didn't know they were practical. My wife and teenage daughter will tease me to no end-My daughter thinks my long lycra pants are embarrassing. As far as sizing-I see some on e-bay for around $25-30.
I am 5.6 feet-155 lbs. my waist is 31 at my navel 32 not sucked in-one size says it fits 32-34 the other size says 30-32..Should I buy the 32-34? As long as I can justify to myself they are practical-I can wear them and live with the teasing..Do all lycra shorts come with padding? The lycra long pants I have were running tights and had no padding..
Old 02-12-08, 07:35 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
Let me start by saying I don't care too much what I look like.
LOVE your avitar by the way.
Old 02-12-08, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam
One thing to realise is that there are different Qualities on Shorts or Bibs. The basic cheap ones are a manufactured from just 4 panels of material. The comfortable ones are 8 panel.
Quality matters. My wife and I stumbled onto Craft brand shorts. The first time that I pulled them on I mentioned to her that I needed to check visually to be sure that I wasn't naked from the waist down before going outside. Now none of my other shorts feel right anymore so I'm going to have to buy more Craft.
Old 02-12-08, 08:06 AM

Bikes: 04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Quality matters. My wife and I stumbled onto Craft brand shorts. The first time that I pulled them on I mentioned to her that I needed to check visually to be sure that I wasn't naked from the waist down before going outside. Now none of my other shorts feel right anymore so I'm going to have to buy more Craft.
That's how I feel about my Giordana's. When I first put them on, they felt like the company had used ME for a model, they fit so perfectly. Let me assure you, NOBODY would use ME to model ANYTHING. Great fit and comfort, and not wildly expensive.
Old 02-12-08, 08:09 AM

Bikes: 04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alentric
I am already chafed ..I didn't realize that bike shorts would help in that area, My original thoughts were
that racers used them for speed and I didn't need that as I am not racing. Or guys wore them to show off.
I didn't know they were practical. My wife and teenage daughter will tease me to no end-My daughter thinks my long lycra pants are embarrassing. As far as sizing-I see some on e-bay for around $25-30.
I am 5.6 feet-155 lbs. my waist is 31 at my navel 32 not sucked in-one size says it fits 32-34 the other size says 30-32..Should I buy the 32-34? As long as I can justify to myself they are practical-I can wear them and live with the teasing..Do all lycra shorts come with padding? The lycra long pants I have were running tights and had no padding..
alentric, I would lean toward the 32-34 size. Cycling shorts, as in cycling clothes in general, tend to run small. The padding's there for long ride comfort, after an hour or so you'll be glad it's there.
Old 02-12-08, 03:54 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
This newbie is glad to see the positive feedback on bibs, as I ordered a pair last night.... I currently am wearing lycra padded cycling shorts. Myself, I desired bibs as they don't slip down. Its kind of like wearing suspenders. If I lost another 25 pounds, it might not be so important.

Well, I like the bibs so much I just ordered a second pair. I bought Diamondback Racing bibs, for $32 from Longs Cycle. I also bought some of their socks for less than $2.

Last edited by wrk101; 02-22-08 at 08:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-12-08, 07:54 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
LOVE your avitar by the way.
Thanks. That's my tribute to Sheldon Brown, may he rest in peace, as well as my twisted sense of what's amusing.

I'm a 6th grade teacher. My trademark is Goofy. My classroom is covered with Goofy memorabilia, I have Goofy ties, Goofy phones, etc. It's something that gives me personality to the kids. When I saw Sheldon's picture with the eagle from the flagpole on his helmet I got inspired. Then I found a Specialized helmet on sale at Nashbar for like $9.00. It was too good to pass up. I bought it, then found a good Goofy figurine. I think it's a Viking Goofy - he's wearing a fur garment and a helmet with horns - and I think it came from a Happy Meal at McDonalds or someplace like that - who knows. I got some epoxy and glued him on.

I take my class on a bike ride each year, and always wear that helmet (it's the only time all year it gets worn.) The kids think I'm a total kook, but they love it. It amuses me.
Attached Images
Old 02-12-08, 08:38 PM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RalphP
Although I'll admit to having owned a pair of padded spandex shorts once, almost all the riding I've ever done was while wearing cotton shorts. This includes several extended tours. These days, I do wear cotton briefs under the shorts because they improve comfort. My current favorite riding shorts are "Land's End" brand that I got for almost nothing at Sears. A nice soft khaki without a lot of extra pockets. I also weigh 150-5 and ride a Brook's saddle. I also wear loose shirts. A silk/linen blend bought on sale is my favorite. I think Spandex is partly explained by the need many people have to feel enclosed, packaged. Just my humble opinion, of course.
The compression is actually healthy. It helps to reduce fatigue and speed up recovery.
Old 02-12-08, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I'm a 6th grade teacher. My trademark is Goofy. My classroom is covered with Goofy memorabilia
I could tell that was a Goofy helmet even when the picture was too small to recognize the figurine.
Old 02-13-08, 08:11 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
As a newcomer, when do you need to buy bike shorts for a longer ride?
I have worn regular shorts for as long as an hour --I was wondering if I need to buy
bike shorts for longer rides this spring or summer. I weigh 155 lbs. and have a
fairly comfortable male-specific saddle..
I have one pair of bike shorts, but will be purchasing more, they really are more comfortable and on a long ride i am always glad i have them.
Old 02-13-08, 04:12 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
5'6"- 150 lbs and 32/4 waist here. Sounds to me as though you want the 32/4 in bibs. They are really that much more comfortable. If you are getting tights- they are normally worn over shorts- or bibs- and need no padding. And bib tights again for an extra reason. Lycra against lycra and a lot of slippage goes on. Tights that slip down to give loose material around the saddle can cause problems.

And watch out for Lycra- Several makes and types of Lycra. Do not go for any of the materials that say they are made of Coolstop. Even in 90 degreesF- they are more like Freezestop. That material is cold.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-14-08, 06:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well--I have purchased my first pair on ebay..
I will let you know how they work out
I bought Falconi black lycra padded shorts
If I get teased-I am a big boy and I can take it
Old 02-15-08, 07:07 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
well--I have purchased my first pair on ebay..
I will let you know how they work out
I bought Falconi black lycra padded shorts
If I get teased-I am a big boy and I can take it
Auggie, the comfort is worth any teasing, and you won't be teased in my opinion, so many people use them these days. Good luck, and enjoy the rides.
Old 02-15-08, 07:17 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I went to true riding shorts in 1979 (wool no less) and have not ridden without padded riding gear since. Much less chaffing and general irritation. Bibs are next for me. I just ignore the teasing, at 51 YO I figure I can handle any name but late for dinner

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-22-08, 04:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well my bike shorts are here ..I tried them on and they feel good..
I just need some good weather in NY to give them a test ride..
I have been working out in a gym all winter and I need to get outside
I am sure you guys know what I mean
Old 07-24-14, 12:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those people who don't wear bike shorts for cycling are their own personal preference. Please don't try to say any negative comments of bike shorts (spandex), which are designed for cycling/biking !!!

Please go to ANY bike shops in the WORLD and check how many spandex bike shorts and baggy bike shorts in the shops.

The answer is SO obvious !

Thank you
Old 07-24-14, 12:41 AM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
If I get teased.......

Bike Shorts from People Who Really Know Bike Shorts!

$ 42.95

Comfortable, airy, light, padded and roomy zip up pockets for arm warmers, food etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Men'sTouringShorts_5.jpg (69.2 KB, 6 views)
Men'sTouringShorts_3.jpg (64.4 KB, 8 views)
Men'sTouringShorts_6.jpg (52.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Zinger; 07-24-14 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-24-14, 01:10 AM

Bikes: A MTB and something else with 2 pedals.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a newcomer, when do you need to buy bike shorts for a longer ride?
I have worn regular shorts for as long as an hour --I was wondering if I need to buy
bike shorts for longer rides this spring or summer. I weigh 155 lbs. and have a
fairly comfortable male-specific saddle..
Never. Do Not Stoop To That Level.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.