Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Clipless pedals that stay level?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 08:30 PM
Clipless faller

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact, 1981 Raleigh Super Record 10-sp, Trek 4900 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been riding clipless pedals since September, and like them. Mine are a Look style, by Nashbar. The only problem is that when I'm disengaged, say at a stoplight, and I start rolling again, I have a heckuva time trying to re-engage the cleat. The heavier rear half of the pedal points down, and It's hard to kick it into a level position to click in. Sometimes it flips over, bottom side up, and sometimes my cleat misses. Often, I'll just put the foot down on the pedal without clicking in, so I can get through the intersection quickly. Then I'll play footsie with the pedal to get it lined up with my cleat. Does anyone have recommendations on clipless pedals that stay level when you're not using them?
Old 02-10-08, 08:38 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Bebops stay in whatever position they are in when I unclip and they're two sided so there is no upside down.
Old 02-10-08, 08:44 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Practice.
Old 02-10-08, 09:07 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Look Keos hang with the thicker heavier side down so that when my foot kicks across the pedal it catches the front of the pedal and the cleat engages. I usually don't even have to look to clip in.
Old 02-10-08, 09:16 PM

Bikes: '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As BluesDawg says, "Practice".

Once I stop at a light I make sure the foot still clipped in is a few degrees past TDC (top dead center). That gives me maximum speed after push-off and gives me a little more time to clip in the other foot. I will admit, however, that clipping in with a Keo (or other Shimano-style) pedal is trickier than my old Crank Brother's Candy Cs that had no up or down.
Old 02-11-08, 05:35 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The heavier rear end of the pedal drops down and turns the pedal into a big loop. You slide your foot over the loop and the nose of your cleat catches in the loop as you push down on the pedal you hear the cleat click into the pedal.

Having the pedal sit horizontally would be like recessing the cable of an aircraft carrier; the tail hook wouldn't be able to grab it as the plane landed.
Old 02-11-08, 05:58 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
You are lucky that the pedal always hangs tail down. Once you have mastered the move of pushing the nose of the pedal down while clipping in it will always be the same and you will be able to do it without looking.

For those who are unlucky enough to have the pedal stop in random places it is necessary to look or touch the pedal with the foot to determine where it is and then do whatever is appropriate to right it and clip in.
Old 02-11-08, 06:34 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Rainycamp,
My earlier answer may have seemed flippant , but it is really what is needed. As several others have suggested, your pedals are doing exactly what they need to do to make it easy to click in. What remains is for you to understand how to take advantage of the ready position of the pedal and place the front of the cleat into the upward pointing front of the pedal at the upper part of the crank rotation (near the 12 o'clock position). After you've done it correctly a few thousand times, you won't even be conscious of it anymore.
Old 02-11-08, 06:54 AM

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You could switch to Eggbeaters.
Hockey
Old 02-11-08, 07:56 AM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Egg beaters here too.... just stomp and go. Speedplays awful easy to get into as well....
Old 02-11-08, 08:54 AM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by hockey
Hockey
Yeah. That's what I do when I'm not on my road bike. The right tool for the job.
Old 02-11-08, 09:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As mentioned by another, Speedplays are pretty much stomp and go. SInce I started using them I don't even think about clipping in. Keep in mind that not everyone likes Speedplays. The model I use has unlimited float. While I (and my knees) like this, there are those that describe it as pedaling on an ice cube.
Old 02-11-08, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ad6mj
My Bebops stay in whatever position they are in when I unclip and they're two sided so there is no upside down.
Bebops rule.
Old 02-11-08, 11:01 AM

Bikes: Giro 26, Giant FCR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crankbrothers Quattro. These have solved it for me.
Old 02-11-08, 12:12 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Shimano M520's were never a problem and I got the A520's on the Boreas. Not a problem one sided and I just engage the top of the pedal- Push forward and I'm in. And If I'm not- I get through the junction- take my foot off and try again.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-11-08, 12:21 PM
Pretend Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just don't kick it too hard when you're clipping in. Easy does it.
Old 02-11-08, 12:26 PM
BFD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get in the saddle, stay seated, then clip in. Staying seated seems to make me more steady for clip in. Then go!
Old 02-11-08, 12:58 PM

Bikes: Seven (brand, not number....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
As mentioned by another, Speedplays are pretty much stomp and go. SInce I started using them I don't even think about clipping in. Keep in mind that not everyone likes Speedplays. The model I use has unlimited float. While I (and my knees) like this, there are those that describe it as pedaling on an ice cube.
Agree, agree and agree. Once you get over the float, you and your knees will love 'em.
Old 02-11-08, 09:33 PM
Clipless faller

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact, 1981 Raleigh Super Record 10-sp, Trek 4900 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the welcome advice. I solemnly promise to practice, practice, practice.
Old 02-11-08, 11:02 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by rainycamp
Thanks for all the welcome advice. I solemnly promise to practice, practice, practice.
Or you could learn to trackstand.
Old 02-12-08, 07:52 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by hockey
+1
Or try Quattros, the road version of Eggbeaters.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 02-12-08, 08:26 AM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
I have found that it only takes a while to get used to the "ice cube" effect.
Old 02-12-08, 08:55 PM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Yeah. That's what I do when I'm not on my road bike. The right tool for the job.
Yes, But...

Quattros or Candies...
Old 02-12-08, 09:27 PM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by flatlander_48
Yes, But...

Quattros or Candies...
I've been trying to decide if the different little faux platforms they put on various Crank Bros. pedals make any difference at all. I can't feel any difference between riding eggbeaters and Smartys. I don't see how the Quattros would be any different. In the end you are still attached to that little pedal with that little cleat. Fine for offroad and short rides, but nothing like the large contact area of a Look cleat or similar where the cleat itself provides the supporting platform.
Old 02-12-08, 10:05 PM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I've been trying to decide if the different little faux platforms they put on various Crank Bros. pedals make any difference at all. I can't feel any difference between riding eggbeaters and Smartys. I don't see how the Quattros would be any different. In the end you are still attached to that little pedal with that little cleat. Fine for offroad and short rides, but nothing like the large contact area of a Look cleat or similar where the cleat itself provides the supporting platform.
Well, my Quattros are fairly well scuffed, as are the bottoms of my shoes. Perhaps it's a function of what shoes you have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.