Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wheel Upgrade - Pic

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wheel Upgrade - Pic

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 06:13 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheel Upgrade - Pic

Just got me a set of Carbone Premiums. I am a very happy camper

2013 Noah RS

Last edited by stonecrd; 03-15-08 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-18-08, 08:47 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Ride reports. Now we need to know how much improvement you see in the bike. Does it still handle ok in crosswinds. Better into the wind?
Old 02-18-08, 09:08 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did 20mi on Friday which was pretty windy (15-20mph) and 50mi on Sunday only lightly windy (5-10mph). I did get a few gusts that I could feel but nothing that would make me want to go back to my Elite's. What I notice is that it does take a bit more effort to spin the wheels up from a stop but once spinning they seem to take less effort. The wheels are about the same weight as my Elites but since I am riding almost exclusively on flat roads the aero advantage makes more sense over weight. They are pretty stiff but I did not find them uncomfortable. I got the Mavic MP3 guarantee which basically says they will replace them for two years regardless of how they die, so these will be my daily wheels.

Hard to say if the performance advantage is due to the wheels or just placebo effect. I do think that when you are riding race type wheels you feel a bit more pressure to push and not just look like you have more money than talent (which is probably true in my case). Of course if I bought Zipps or Lightweights it would not even be a question

2013 Noah RS
Old 02-18-08, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
" Just got me a set of Carbone Premiums. I am a very happy camper"

I guess the grammar can not be blamed on No Child Left Behind! However, I read that aero wheels are the best speed upgrade you can make. I would be interested if all things being equal(as much as possible) if this is true?
Old 02-18-08, 09:32 AM
Ti #18 Senior.

Bikes: Serotta Concours

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good looking rig! Enjoy.
Old 02-18-08, 09:39 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
" Just got me a set of Carbone Premiums. I am a very happy camper"

I guess the grammar can not be blamed on No Child Left Behind! However, I read that aero wheels are the best speed upgrade you can make. I would be interested if all things being equal(as much as possible) if this is true?
When you have teenagers you have to speak their language. Your question should be 'Learn me on aero Wheels'.

I think you can look to the Pros, most ride some type of CF deep wheel these days even on mountain stages. I think if you routinely ride at speeds >20mph deep wheels can provide an advantage. By using CF you keep the weight down so you don't take a significant weight disadvantage. My criteria for choice was they needed to be reasonably priced, <$2,000 and pretty bullet proof (I'm 175lbs) which my research shows the Carbone's are. I wanted to stick with clinchers since I will use these for daily rides and don't want flat hassles. So far I love them but I am still in the honeymoon stage.

2013 Noah RS