Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sunny 61 miles today (tired legs hurt)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-08, 11:21 PM
Old Cyclist

Bikes: Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure what got into my head that it would be a good idea to take off for a 50-mile ride today, but that's what I did. I only did a rough estimate of the distance, and my 50 turned into 61. The route was pleasant, mostly scenic, with some short hills but mostly rolling on a mix of chip seal and nice newish asphalt. I haven't ridden that far in a day for a LONG time and my legs definitely made that clear to me this afternoon. The first 20 miles were fun. The next 12 pretty nice. Then there were four miles of a 'horizontal flag' headwind in a lowish gear. At that point it was about all I could do to leave my cell phone in my pannier and not call home for a ride. Bought some Gatorade, sucked it up and headed north toward home, expecting another 20 miles. It's actually a little farther on the back road than the freeway. The last big hill (a mile climb) darn near did my legs in and I actually had to stop and rest part way up, which I never do. But the 4-mile downhill sure felt great! I made it home with very tired and sore legs. When I told my wife and son I was out of shape because I hurt after 61 miles they just looked at me funny. I guess I need to make time for more longer rides more often. I felt like I was crawling for the last part of the ride, but I still averaged 15 mph (riding time).
Old 02-17-08, 11:49 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice ride Mark and to think - it wasn't raining! You live in a beautiful area!

I graduated from University of Puget Sound and lived in Puyallup for about six years.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 02-18-08, 12:07 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My hat's off to you for going out on a long ride like that alone, and making it back on your own. We completed our first 50-miler yesterday and it was fun until the last 2 miles -- a big hill at the end. But we had a lot going on around us as part of a group of many riders. Congratulations on completing your solo ride.
Old 02-18-08, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I envy you folks who are riding already this year. I woke up Sunday morning to freezing rain. The roads were covered with ice.

Oh, and welcome to the 50+ group, Mark.
Old 02-18-08, 05:59 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride, Mark. I'm glad someone is having weather that allows such rides.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 02-18-08, 08:46 AM
Old Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
My hat's off to you for going out on a long ride like that alone, and making it back on your own.
I almost always ride alone. But yesterday I started with my neighbor joining me for the first part. I thought he was in better shape than he turned out to be in. He disappeared (I presume turned around) before the top of the first hill, just 3 miles from home. I waited three stoplight changes for him to show up, then went back down the hill looking for him in case he had a flat or mechanical problem. No sign, so I continued my ride as planned. He told me as we rode the first few blocks that I "had a fast bike." I ride a 29-year old steel frame and he was on something new with a carbon-fiber fork. I don't think it's the bike. He'd also commented about needing to stop for a couple of beers along the way before we left.
Old 02-18-08, 09:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel your pain, to paraphrase an ex-President. Tried to do a metric century for my first long ride of the year and the last 17 miles were pure torture. The heart is willing but the body just has not caught up this early in the season.
Old 02-18-08, 10:42 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Greetings. I see you're from Bellingham. That brings back memories. I lived there in the 70s and 80s and graduated from Western. I was up there two years ago. Man, had it changed!

Just curious - where did you go on your 61-mile ride?
Old 02-18-08, 11:45 PM
Old Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
Greetings. I see you're from Bellingham. That brings back memories. ... Just curious - where did you go on your 61-mile ride?
Yes, Bellingham is growing and growing. I live downtown and work from home so I'm not affected so much by increased development and traffic. My Sunday ride, for those who know the area:

Side streets to Woburn, south to Lakeway, east to Lake Whatcom Blvd and then south around the lake to the far end (wide spot in the road called Park on the map), continuing on Park Rd. to Hwy 9 at Wickersham. Thence south on 9 to Sedro Woolley and a break at the junction with Hwy 20. Then west through town and on Cook Rd. to Hwy 99. Turned north on old 99 past Skagit Speedway and through Alger. Crossed under I-5 and continued north on East Lake Samish, up the hill to Old Samish Rd, long downhill to Chuckanut, then back to town through Fairhaven. This link <https://maps.google.com/maps/mm?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=48.72098,-122.432156&spn=0.097734,0.161533&z=13> to Google Maps may show the route, or maybe just the area.
Old 02-19-08, 12:22 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Those long- spur of the moment rides are something you have to get acclimatised to. Most of my rides are around 40 miles at this time of the year but by doing enough of them- I know I could do a 60 tomorrow with no problem. A 100 miler may take a bit of thinking about- but by the time I get to those- I will be up to 60 as a standard ride. And If I get to regular 100 mile rides and want to go further- I will phone up DG and he will talk me out of it.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-20-08, 12:20 AM
Old Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Those long- spur of the moment rides are something you have to get acclimatised to.
I've mostly been doing 20-35 miles, and not as frequently during these short day rainy winter months. So 60 was a bit much of a jump. I survived. Rested on Monday. Rode 20 today. Legs don't feel so bad now. Maybe 30 tomorrow if the rain holds off.
Old 02-20-08, 12:31 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Mark,

Are you coming down to Seattle for the Chilly Hilly ride on Sunday (actually, the ferry leaves from Seattle, but the route is around Bainbridge Island)? Nice 32 mile ride, thousands of riders. Weather looks good, slight chance of light rain late. Details on the Cascade Bicycle Club site, some threads about the ride over in the Northwest forum (sorry if you already answered this...).
Old 02-25-08, 08:38 AM
Old Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Are you coming down to Seattle for the Chilly Hilly ride on Sunday
Didn't see this until Monday morning. But no, I thought about going to Bainbridge, but couldn't really justify a 180-mile RT drive to bicycle 30 miles with a bunch of other people. I don't really like riding with large groups.