Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Training for Fast South CC ride.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 08:46 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I signed up for the Fast South CC Ride from CA to Savannah, GA in April. We spend two months in FL training for that which means 70 miles before lunch and another 30 miles on a Tandem after lunch. The average speed was 17 MPH regardless of conditions.
There were two interesting people going with us. Mel and Marlene from Davenport Iowa.
He is 73 she is 70.
Not only were they able to keep up but occasionally were able to sprint at speeds over 20 MPH.

Here are some pictures:

Old 02-19-08, 07:47 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
That!!! Were your ears burning the last several weeks? We've been wondering where in heck you've been. Sounds like retirement is off to a terrific start.

So how many miles per day or days of riding will this XC trip be?
Old 02-19-08, 08:12 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Sometimes I wonder why I try so hard and wonder if I would ever use the training I'm doing. I know it helps, but I would like to put it to some use. After reading your post, I hope some day to do something like your going to do Will. I know you train hard and been riding for some time. I wonder how long some of the other people have been training and how old they are. Anyhow good luck on your ride and I hope you have good weather.
Old 02-19-08, 08:36 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Will, as always (ALWAYS) you are absolutely AMAZING! (and one of my bcicyling heroes)

Glad to see you back, and the heartiest good wishes on all of your endeavors!

Keep us posted.
Old 02-19-08, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,023 Times in 4,468 Posts
Nice pics, but who is who? And do you mean you ride the tandem the whole day? Are you riding the tandem on the long tour?
Old 02-19-08, 06:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Nice pics, but who is who? And do you mean you ride the tandem the whole day? Are you riding the tandem on the long tour?
Top picture is my wife Helga and me.
Next (middle) picture is Marlene and Mel. They are amazing!

I am doing the CC Tour on a Trek Madone 5.2. I was training in FL on the Madone and the Tandem both. I/we did about 100 miles per day. The result of all that training? My HR is 115-120 at 17 MPH on a trainer. It was 130-140 before that training.

My wife wanted to join me but we did some testing and she overheats in mid 90's temperature. Nothing she can do except drop a lot of weight which neither of us wants her to do. I like her the way she is now.
Old 02-19-08, 06:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Will, as always (ALWAYS) you are absolutely AMAZING! (and one of my bcicyling heroes)

Glad to see you back, and the heartiest good wishes on all of your endeavors!

Keep us posted.
Thanks Denver.
A message to all 50+.
Train hard. At my 66 years of age I have measured a significant improvement due to hard training and very careful nutrition.
Old 02-19-08, 06:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
That!!! Were your ears burning the last several weeks? We've been wondering where in heck you've been. Sounds like retirement is off to a terrific start.

So how many miles per day or days of riding will this XC trip be?
I have been obsessed with training. I got lucky and met some people just as dedicated. There were several Triathlon guys (no girls). On fixies.
They trained at 21.5 and 22.5 MPH. I went with them for 6-10 miles. That is all I could do.

My average top speed for 75 miles was 18 MPH.
I can now consistently do 17 MPH on a trainer and on the road for up to 100 miles.
Not bad for an old dog?

The CC tour is 25 riding days at 120 miles/day average. Some days are 160 miles. Two day rest. Total 3000 miles.
Old 02-19-08, 06:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George
Sometimes I wonder why I try so hard and wonder if I would ever use the training I'm doing. I know it helps, but I would like to put it to some use. After reading your post, I hope some day to do something like your going to do Will. I know you train hard and been riding for some time. I wonder how long some of the other people have been training and how old they are. Anyhow good luck on your ride and I hope you have good weather.
George:
I remember you earliest posts. You came a long way. Do not give up. We still can improve but it does not go without effort.
Old 02-19-08, 06:30 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Will, where were those pictures taken?
Old 02-19-08, 07:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoMad
Will, where were those pictures taken?
Withlacoochee rail to trail in North Central FL near Ocala and Inverness. It is a wonderful trail to train centuries. This is my third season there.
The pictures were taken at the Ridge Manor Trail Head.

https://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide...tate_final.pdf
Old 02-19-08, 08:12 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Will, I thought it looked familiar. I live about 10 miles West from where the trail crosses CR486. I usually ride to the North end or sometimes I start in Inverness and ride South. If you go flying by a Litespeed travelling about 15mph that is probably me. When I hear others talking about the crowded trails they ride on I feel very lucky to live so close to the Withlacoochee. Lets not tell too many people about it. (just our 50+ friends)
Old 02-20-08, 06:37 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
My average top speed for 75 miles was 18 MPH.
I can now consistently do 17 MPH on a trainer and on the road for up to 100 miles.
Not bad for an old dog?

Will, those speeds are not bad for anyone short of a high-Cat racer, not just a newly-retired fella! Congratulations! You're showing us how far we might go and what is possible.

Road Fan
Old 02-20-08, 08:28 AM

I just read on www.altavistassports.com that some guy went 318.7 miles at the age of 70. Makes me feel good.
Old 02-20-08, 08:29 AM

I just read on www.altavistassports.com that some guy went 318.7 miles at the age of 70. Makes me feel good.
I just tried to open that site and couldn't, maybe if you type it in you can get it.
Old 02-20-08, 08:38 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just one too many "S" in link

www.altavistasports.com

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 02-20-08, 02:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just read on www.altavistasports.com that some guy went 318.7 miles at the age of 70. Makes me feel good.
I am aware of RAAM type racing. That is where I draw the line. I bike in day time only and 160 miles is about the limit. Everything starts hurting. Hands, neck, rear-end, you name it.
My hat off to these folks but that is too much.
Old 02-20-08, 02:39 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
I am aware of RAAM type racing. That is where I draw the line. I bike in day time only and 160 miles is about the limit. Everything starts hurting. Hands, neck, rear-end, you name it.
My hat off to these folks but that is too much.
Do no where near the rides you do Will- but I used to do long distance offroad rides. Didn't matter how difficult and hilly or flat and smooth the route was- I found my limit before pain came in was about 8 hours. Not much fun when it was a 12 hour ride- but I NEVER do consecutive days. Only time I did multiple day rides was when the limit was 50/60 miles in a day- offroad of course and not at event speed. Even that got painfull at the end of the day.

Great to see you are still about and training but Need more info for the newcomers on this ride you are training for. Just to make them realise what they can do- if they want to.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-20-08, 06:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Do no where near the rides you do Will- but I used to do long distance offroad rides. Didn't matter how difficult and hilly or flat and smooth the route was- I found my limit before pain came in was about 8 hours. Not much fun when it was a 12 hour ride- but I NEVER do consecutive days. Only time I did multiple day rides was when the limit was 50/60 miles in a day- offroad of course and not at event speed. Even that got painfull at the end of the day.

Great to see you are still about and training but Need more info for the newcomers on this ride you are training for. Just to make them realise what they can do- if they want to.
The rewards for training:
I started on December 1, 2007 doing 70 miles AM and 30 miles PM. HR was pushing 140 and I was huffing and puffing to average 16.5 MPH.
After two months of daily rides with just a few rest days, I was relaxed doing 17 MPH and occasionally pushed to 18 MPH average for 100 miles.
I was not sure that I would get these results. There was fine tuning of the bike. There was some learning about nutrition and I learned to bike at a much higher cadence. I also learned to be comfortable on the Drops and Aerobars. Florida has some fierce winds and you need to be able to go aerodynamic for 50 miles without being uncomfortable.