Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Power of Exercise (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/392204-power-exercise.html)

michaelas6 02-27-08 02:41 PM

Power of Exercise

I thought I would share this for anyone who might be suffering from health problems. I had ,run & jogged most of my life but starting at the age of Fifty I just seemed really tired & slept most of the time. My weight had gone up to around 227 & was no longer exercising. At the age of Fifty Four I had a Coronary Stent placed for a ninety five percent closed artery. I lost weight & changed my diet and started walking & Jogging. In 07 my Cardiologist told me I failed my stress test at my max heart rate & he thought I needed another Stent.
I asked him for six months to try & improve on my own. My wife treated me to a new Giant OCR1 & I have been riding around one hundred miles a week with a heart rate monitor to train with. Yesterday I had another stress test. My Cardiologist kept me a little beyond my Max heart rate for eleven minuets & said I have improved my Aerobic Capacitiy to that of a Forty year old "I just turned Fifty Six in December" & no longer needed to go to the Cath Lab. I still have a very small Ischemia when I go beyond my maximum heart rate but he said to keep riding and he will see me at my next follow up

Michael Smith

alicestrong 02-27-08 03:00 PM

Michael that is just wonderful news!

I'm happy for you.

George 02-27-08 03:31 PM

Way to go Michael, that's what most of us are here for. Keep it up and you'll really surprise the doctor on your next visit. Good luck.

Artkansas 02-27-08 03:54 PM

Congratulations

cccorlew 02-27-08 06:39 PM

YEAH!!!! Well done.

Digital Gee 02-27-08 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by michaelas6 (Post 6242650)
I thought I would share this for anyone who might be suffering from health problems. I had ,run & jogged most of my life but starting at the age of Fifty I just seemed really tired & slept most of the time. My weight had gone up to around 227 & was no longer exercising. At the age of Fifty Four I had a Coronary Stent placed for a ninety five percent closed artery. I lost weight & changed my diet and started walking & Jogging. In 07 my Cardiologist told me I failed my stress test at my max heart rate & he thought I needed another Stent.
I asked him for six months to try & improve on my own. My wife treated me to a new Giant OCR1 & I have been riding around one hundred miles a week with a heart rate monitor to train with. Yesterday I had another stress test. My Cardiologist kept me a little beyond my Max heart rate for eleven minuets & said I have improved my Aerobic Capacitiy to that of a Forty year old "I just turned Fifty Six in December" & no longer needed to go to the Cath Lab. I still have a very small Ischemia when I go beyond my maximum heart rate but he said to keep riding and he will see me at my next follow up

Michael Smith

My nomination for POTD! (Post of the Day) :)

JanMM 02-27-08 07:49 PM

And I thought the only reason to ride a bike is because it's the most fun you can have without worrying about STD's.

Beverly 02-27-08 07:54 PM

Great news, Michael. Keep this up and you'll have even better news at the next checkup.

Yen 02-27-08 09:10 PM

Bravo, Michael! Tears filled my eyes as I read your story. I commend you on going about it the right way.

Mojo Slim 02-27-08 09:12 PM

Giant OCRs rule! Nice going. An inspiration to us all.

BluesDawg 02-27-08 10:16 PM

Way to go! Riding a bike and eating sensibly sure beats surgery and medication. :)

bobbycorno 02-28-08 12:29 AM

DUDE! Way to do it!

Scott P
Bend, OR

Timtruro 02-28-08 09:34 AM

Keep workin' at it and having fun with it, your improvement is remarkable and you are on the road to continuous incremental improvement. Read "Younger Next Year" by Crowley and Lodge for added tips and inspiration.

will dehne 02-28-08 10:55 AM

Very good testimonial and I can vouch for those kind of results.

I went to B & N yesterday and bought a relevant book to this subject. SPARK (The Revolutionary New Science OF Exercise And The Brain). You may find this book inspiring and give you more reasons to exercise. I am just as worried about my brain as I am worried about my body.:(

rogerfisher 03-02-08 03:57 AM

Michael

Absolutely awesome! Keep it up!
You are an inspiration to us all

Roger

DnvrFox 03-02-08 06:22 AM

Great stuff.

By the way, going "beyond" your maximum heart rate is an oxymoron. Your maximum heart rate is your maximum heart rate. If you go "beyond" that, you now have a new maximum heart rate. MHR is the very fastest that your heart can go, period.

Timtruro 03-02-08 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by will dehne (Post 6247959)
Very good testimonial and I can vouch for those kind of results.

I went to B & N yesterday and bought a relevant book to this subject. SPARK (The Revolutionary New Science OF Exercise And The Brain). You may find this book inspiring and give you more reasons to exercise. I am just as worried about my brain as I am worried about my body.:(

Will try that one, thanks.
t

wayne pattee 03-02-08 03:57 PM

Very good story, thanks for sharing.