Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tru's New Bike: Ride Report

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 05:09 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was a lovely day. Breezy and sunny. Rode the Ruby to our favorite breakfast joint and back, about 30 miles round trip. Lots of gentle grades. We know this ride well, and have done it a couple times each month since last summer. I noticed the difference between my Trek 7.2 FX and the Ruby Expert immediately. The Ruby felt crisp, yet buttery smooth, like a fine chardonnay. (Hey, I live in the Wine Country and saw Sideways at least three times.) Neck felt fine, hands and wrists were happy with the various positions the drop handlebars provide. The Ruby felt extremely responsive, but no uncomfortable road vibrations. I feel more coordinated on the Ruby than on my Trek. Like we are dancing together. My husband said that he was tired by the time we reached the restaurant because I'm riding faster and he had to work harder to keep up. I don't have a computer on the Ruby yet, so have no idea how fast I was going. All I know is that I wasn't trying to go fast, and the long uphill grades were much, much easier. On the way home, we were riding into a pretty stiff headwind. It felt nice to be able to get into a more aerodynamic position for a while when I got tired of fighting the wind. Even that 25 degree, three-block-long hill getting back to our house was much easier. (Yes, I got the triple and am glad to have it on this hill.)

My lower back is a little sore. I asked my husband to check my posture, and I was holding my back a little "sway back" as I am prone to do. (I'm really flexible, which sounds nice, but has caused me injuries in the past.) So I need to pay attention to how I'm positioning my back and try to keep it straighter. Also, the stock saddle has to go. (Ouch!) I'm also seriously thinking of adding extra brake levers that I can use when I'm not in the drops. (Thanks 50+-ers for the feedback about those in one of the other threads!)

Anyway, I was looking for a bike I could fall in love with. Still some fine-tuning to go, but I'm a very, very happy woman.
Old 03-02-08, 05:17 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice. Hope your new bike brings you many years of enjoyment.
Old 03-02-08, 05:27 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great report. Remember, it only gets better!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-02-08, 05:27 PM

Bikes: Raleigh SC30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pictures? Where are the pictures? They told me I had to put up pictures.

That is so awesome that you are enjoying your bike, it feels good to be on one that fits you that's for sure. As for the seat I didn't even try using the stock seat, had to many people say they didn't like it & I liked the Terry seat I had on my hybrid so it was changed before it left the LBS.
Old 03-02-08, 05:43 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This report is entirely too upbeat. It has upset my stomach with all of its syrupy sweetness. Please rewrite it, this time including some mention of pain and frustration suffered during your ride. For example, instead of your back being a "little soar," it should state that you were in excruciating back pain that took a few hours to subside.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 03-02-08, 05:51 PM
Hanging On

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, TruF,

This is a great ride report. DG is right, it only gets better after this. It won't be long before hubby needs a new bike just to keep up (both meanings!).

-soma5
Old 03-02-08, 06:01 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a sweet, sweet ride.

On the saddle front, I started with a Jett last year, and it never worked. It's firm in the wrong places, and the cut out was in the wrong place too, so I gave up on it very quickly. Saddles are totally personal, but I just acquired a Terry Butterfly which worked like a charm in a week of riding last week.
Old 03-02-08, 06:11 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice report, Tru! Sounds like you got the bike of your dreams, so happy for you. But where are the pics?

I've read many good comments about the Terry Butterfly.
Old 03-02-08, 06:13 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ain't it great when a plan comes together?
Glad to hear that you like the new bike.
Old 03-02-08, 06:26 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you found the right bike for you...enjoy the rides!

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 03-02-08, 07:09 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
They sure put a nice bike together don't they. I'm very happy with mine as well. It doe's everything that I want to do, very well. Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-02-08, 07:41 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I like Tru's bike, and its good to see that Tom's new avitar has cured some of his grumpyness.
Old 03-02-08, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, TruF, and thanks for the report.
Old 03-02-08, 08:29 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great that your Ruby is such a delight.

Rode my Roubaix about 80 miles today up hill and dale chasing the power riders in our club. I think I got all the soreness for you.
Old 03-02-08, 08:32 PM
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Smokester
Great that your Ruby is such a delight.

Rode my Roubaix about 80 miles today up hill and dale chasing the power riders in our club. I think I got all the soreness for you.
Hey, Smokester! Sounds like a great ride. Was it windy today in your neck of the NoCal woods?
Old 03-02-08, 08:34 PM
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boudicca
Sounds like a sweet, sweet ride.

On the saddle front, I started with a Jett last year, and it never worked. It's firm in the wrong places, and the cut out was in the wrong place too, so I gave up on it very quickly. Saddles are totally personal, but I just acquired a Terry Butterfly which worked like a charm in a week of riding last week.
You're not kidding about the "firm in all the wrong places" attributes of that saddle! I'll look into the Terry Butterfyl. Thanks!
Old 03-02-08, 08:40 PM
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
This report is entirely too upbeat. It has upset my stomach with all of its syrupy sweetness. Please rewrite it, this time including some mention of pain and frustration suffered during your ride. For example, instead of your back being a "little soar," it should state that you were in excruciating back pain that took a few hours to subside.
With all the help this forum (including you!) gave me in my search for a road bike, how could my report be otherwise?

Seriously, my back is still a bit sore, but it's my arse that is really complaining tonight! That saddle is unbelievably wrong. Just plain wrong. (Is that a little better?)

Oh I forgot to mention that on my Trek, my left knee would often feel tweaked, especially when going up hill. That didn't happen today! (Would someone please get Tom a barf bag?)
Old 03-02-08, 08:43 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Glad to hear that the bike works so well for you. As others have said, it just keeps getting better. You'll be telling us about the first century ride before you know it.

Swap the saddle if you feel you need to, but keep in mind you probably won't want as much padding as on your more upright bike. I would also advise against the interrupter brake levers unless you really have a problem with the regular brake levers. They will just make it take longer for you to instinctively move your hands to the hoods when you need to brake. I think of them as the braking equivalent of training wheels. You'll learn quicker without them.
Old 03-02-08, 08:57 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've ridden road bike saddles that were so uncomfortable that they were killing me within 10 minutes. In fact, most road bike saddles have done that to me.

I like Terry's Fly series of saddles.

Have you checked out this forum's favorite saddle? B****s?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 03-02-08, 09:11 PM
Clipless faller

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact, 1981 Raleigh Super Record 10-sp, Trek 4900 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TruF
I feel more coordinated on the Ruby than on my Trek. Like we are dancing together.
Now there's a line you don't often hear about a bike!

If you're still open to Specialized saddles, my wife likes their Dolce. It's got a little more gel padding, and it's a little wider, so lends itself to recreational riding more than race-type riding.
Old 03-02-08, 10:01 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tru, on my hybrid ( as if I have another bike!) I have a Specialized Body Geometry (BG) V-Groove saddle. Originally, I planned to buy a Terry saddle but the owner of the LBS where I bought the BG saddle talked me into this one thinking it would be just as good but less expensive. I was reluctant and my heart was set on the Terry, but I'm glad I took his advice. It's been a great saddle and I never have any soreness. I have the one shown in the link, with the red stripe, not the women's version. Hubby has the same one and also likes it very much. I plan to put the same one on the new bike..... though, I would love to try the Terry Butterfly because I've read so many good things about it, but if this one works I don't see why I should switch.
Old 03-02-08, 10:17 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Glad you found your bike! And I can relate to how light and airy it feels. CF is wonderful stuff.

As to the saddle: On the tandem and the Orca I replaced the saddles with a Selle San Marco Glamour. No padding to speak of -- I let the shorts take care of that. I still have my BG stock saddle (now saddle #2; wore out the 1st one after about 18 mos.) on my Dolce. That saddle is adequate for the kind of riding I now do on it.

Check on the return policy of your LBS to be sure you won't be stuck with a saddle you hate.

BTW, the winds here were fierce we opted not to drive 90 miles to Turlock for a road race. In fact, we opted not to ride at all! So not like us; yet we embraced our inner wussy and took naps instead. So props to you for getting out and riding.
Old 03-02-08, 10:23 PM

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... The Ruby felt crisp, yet buttery smooth, like a fine chardonnay. (Hey, I live in the Wine Country and saw Sideways at least three times.)
I've seen Sideways twice myself . . . and I'm sure glad that new Ruby doesn't ride like some f*****g merlot!
Old 03-02-08, 10:27 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here's the saddle I have on the Dolce: https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=34350

Here's my favorite saddle, found on 2 of my 3 rides: https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...-_-null-_-null
Old 03-02-08, 10:33 PM
flying on 2 wheels

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7100 - modified. 2008 Orbea Onix Dama - Campy Centaur

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'll look into the Terry Butterfly.
I have a Terry Butterfly on both my hybrid and my road bike and I love it - it took me trying 4 saddles before I found the one that is comfortable for me. With that being said, the Terry saddle I love will be what the next person down the line describes as the worst saddle they have ever ridden. Everyone has different.... ummm...'assets' and a saddle is a very individual thing.

If you decide to try a Terry Butterfly, check out their website for options. Also I think they have a 30 day return policy if the saddle does not work out for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.