Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Bike Journal's new freebie policy (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/393572-bike-journals-new-freebie-policy.html)

rainycamp 03-02-08 09:35 PM

Bike Journal's new freebie policy

Over at Bike Journal, where you can keep an online log of your rides, a new policy has kicked in. If you keep the basic (free) membership, you're limited to six columns of data. To add more information, such as the route and ride description, you have to pay for the Premium membership. It's only $20 a year, and I was wondering how many of you log your rides on Bike Journal, are already premium members, or plan to upgrade?

10 Wheels 03-02-08 09:38 PM

TenWheels No 383
free member

Bud Bent 03-02-08 10:01 PM

I'm a premium member.

Digital Gee 03-02-08 10:12 PM

Free member, no plans to upgrade. It appears I can no longer record the temps and wind speeds. :(

tsl 03-02-08 10:16 PM

Been a member since May '06 and Premium member since August '06.

Over there I'm brucew. [ Profile ] [ Ride Log ]

BengeBoy 03-02-08 10:30 PM

I track my rides using on Facebook. There is a great little free application on Facebook called iBike. It's pretty simple...just mileage, time, avg speed, which bike you rode, etc. Also allows you post photos of your bike and invite other folks in your network in.

I looked at BikeJournal briefly...iBike is so fast and simple to use, it fits my needs better.

cranky old dude 03-02-08 10:39 PM

Yep, I'm there using the freebies. I'm cheap.
Same user name.

Yen 03-02-08 11:04 PM

I used it for a while and just kept forgetting to log our rides and was trying to do one for me and one for Hubby. Just one more thing for me to fall behind on, so I gave it up. Now we log our rides on the calendar in the kitchen.

BluesDawg 03-02-08 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 6268041)
I used it for a while and just kept forgetting to log our rides and was trying to do one for me and one for Hubby. Just one more thing for me to fall behind on, so I gave it up. Now we log our rides on the calendar in the kitchen.

+1 except for logging on the calendar. The only record of my rides is if it is a memorable enough ride to warrant a ride report on my club's website and/or here. Even then I seldom list much in the way of stats. Maybe the distance and maybe the total time. More important is who rode and what we saw.

pinerider 03-03-08 04:29 AM

I've been a freebie, on my 4th year at BJ, always thought I should pay the premium, but never got around to it. I think it's a great resource, will be sending in my $20 soon.

stonecrd 03-03-08 06:10 AM

I just use it as a backup to my SportTracks log, I was using BJ before I got my 305 so I just kept it going. Really only log miles and avg speed though so I will stay with the free option.

divingbiker 03-03-08 07:56 AM

I'm a free member at Bike Journal, same user name. I find that 6 columns are plenty for what I want to record, but there's a part of me that thinks it's worth $20 to support the site. Haven't ponied up yet, though.

10 Wheels 03-03-08 01:49 PM

Just Won The Bi-weekly Prize

Head light and Tail Light Set
http://www.vetta.com/Product_Lights_MicroLux-tsl.htm

10 Wheels 03-03-08 01:52 PM

Meant to write: Just Won The Bike Journal Bi-Weekly Prize

Tom Bombadil 03-03-08 02:30 PM

Only record of my rides is what I've written here. I've never written a note elsewhere.

But I can tell you the location, date, distance, and real time elapsed for almost every 10+ mile ride I took in 2007 from memory. Don't know why, but that information just sticks in my mind.

tsl 03-03-08 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 6271390)
Meant to write: Just Won The Bike Journal Bi-Weekly Prize

I just saw that. Congrats!

Consularrider 03-03-08 03:49 PM

I joined both bikeforums and bikejournal at the same time. I paid for the premier membership during my first month of use and for me it is money well spent.

Tom Bombadil 03-03-08 04:57 PM

Nice prize! Hope you use it more than the iPod Nano I won last year, which has been used three times so far.

BlazingPedals 03-03-08 07:07 PM

I use BikeJournal, and I'm a premium member. My nickname over there is BlazingPedals. Who'da thunk?

rainycamp 03-03-08 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 6272679)
Nice prize! Hope you use it more than the iPod Nano I won last year, which has been used three times so far.

I'm going off thread here, but there's a site called Librivox.org that offers free downloads of books in the public domain. I load them on my iPod, and that's what I listen to during my daily commutes.

megaman 03-04-08 04:59 PM

I'm over at BJ too. Same user name, been a premier member for the past year. I think the site is worth it. Before BJ, I recorded my mileage, weather conditions, and where I rode in a two year pocket calendar. That was 11 years ago. I've still got those pocket calendars. I think there's a word for this. ;)

10 Wheels 03-06-08 07:52 PM

bike Journal *30 & #31

Had a Blast today with the 83 Nishiki.
900 AM went for a neighborhood ride and saw 5 bikes going by the main road.
First two had old guys with beards. They said "How you doing?".Following them a young woman on a 13 Lb. Trek. Lady on a L O N G recumbent, a lady on a $5,000 Custom L O W to the road Trike.
Decided to follow and ask where they might be going. They got up to 18 mph. Stayed with them for 48 miles. Chuck and DAD on Bike Journal No. 30 and No 31. They invited me to Dave's home for coffee.
Chuck Offered to Drive me home as it began to rain. They ride 6 days a week and gave me a invite to
join them. I think I will.

Spoke 03-08-08 08:56 PM

I use BikeJournal, and I'm a premium member. My nickname over there is Spoke. Who'da thunk?

And I have a Bike Journal jersey Y'all!

Ride On
-Spoke

urban rider 03-08-08 11:54 PM

I am a free member. I plan to spend the 20.00 when I get it.

Gas, 69.cents, the price of a can of beans.