Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   One Step Closer to the new bike! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/394295-one-step-closer-new-bike.html)

Beverly 03-04-08 09:13 PM

One Step Closer to the new bike!

I dropped the Madone off at the bike shop tonight for it's 4000 mile tuneup and some new handle bar tape. Of course the other reason for stopping was to discuss the Trek 520 touring bike.

We compared the measurements of my bike to a 19" 520 and determined things were pretty similar with the top tube measurement being just a little longer than mine. With a small stem and seat post adjustment the 19" should be a good fit. They had a 21" on the floor and I tried it for standover and found it was a snug fit. I wouldn't want to jump down off the seat too quickly on it:eek: The bike was a little lighter than I expected but I loved the look of it. It's also black and won't clash with the other black/grey bikes in the garage:rolleyes: The Brooks I have in the garage should look great on it. I have a set of new panniers a girl friend gave to me. She bought them and never used them.

We discussed the changes I wanted such as the shifters and crank length. They'll have a price for me when I pickup my bike later this week.

Yen 03-04-08 09:21 PM

How exciting! It's a good thing I wasn't this involved in cycling all those past years... I can't imagine the 1000s of dollars I would have spent by now.

TruF 03-04-08 09:37 PM

Beverly, are you trying out the bike when you pick it up, or did you already pull the trigger? So exciting. I understand the motivation to get now the big ticket items you know you'll want after retirement. I think it's a wise investment! ;)

Beverly 03-04-08 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by TruF (Post 6281514)
Beverly, are you trying out the bike when you pick it up, or did you already pull the trigger? So exciting. I understand the motivation to get now the big ticket items you know you'll want after retirement. I think it's a wise investment! ;)

My girl friend has a 19" Trek 520 I'll be trying out before I buy this one. She loves hers and her husband says it's been a great bike. He's a bike mechanic and doesn't say that about too many bikes.

I've had enough of those "big ticket items" the last couple months - 2 new hot water heaters and a $1,000 in furnace repair bills:( They're keeping me from pulling the trigger on the bike for a few weeks. At least these things did break down before I retire. In fact, I'm sitting here without a furnace tonight. They can't get the part until morning. I guess this will be a good test of the insulation I put into the house last year:eek:

Tom Bombadil 03-04-08 10:11 PM

Hot water and heat are over-rated.

Beverly 03-04-08 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 6281737)
Hot water and heat are over-rated.

I might agree if it were 70F:)

It's going down to 28F tonight but the oil filled heaters will keep me from freezing. I'll just drag mine around the house with me.

John E 03-05-08 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 6281401)
How exciting! It's a good thing I wasn't this involved in cycling all those past years... I can't imagine the 1000s of dollars I would have spent by now.

What I particularly love about this sport is that one does not have to spend big bucks to enjoy it. :)