Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What would you do?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-08, 09:58 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
jppe,

I see that you have followed some advice by digging a hole and keeping the money for a while. My take is that you want to buy something special for yourself, and I agree that you do deserve it!

If it were me I would think about where I am in cycling, what I want to accomplish and where I see myself in 5 years or more down the road. Last year I was in the market for a bike to replace my 1999 Cannondale R 600. I had a plan to ride with faster riders and start to race. I also knew that at 54 years of age the bike most likely would not be the same bike I would be riding in 6 years, so my choice of bikes needed to fit into that window. I am assuming my next bike will be less aggressive and more on the touring side. I'll still have the "Ferrari "in the garage for special occaisions.

A custom frame would really be a great ride and instill a whole bunch of pride to it's owner. Would you be able to continue riding the bike for a long time if the geometery is too agressive or dailed into your current riding style? If not, selling a custom built bike may not be as easy or garner as much value as a top shelf frame. Good luck on your decision and keep us informed of your choice.
Old 11-12-08, 03:23 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
As usual I'll offer a dissenting opinion. Once you get into the range of decent bikes, more money spent has a very small effect on the experience of riding it.

If it was me I would consider buying a $1000 touring bike and riding coast to coast in the US or touring Europe for a couple months. I could easily and comfortably do either for what you are talking about spending for a frame. That is pretty much what I did. I had $5K in my savings account and bought a bike for under $1k, flew out to the west coast, and rode back to the east coast. Racks, panniers, airfare, ground transportation, food, other expenses, and the gear I needed all came out of that account as did all I spent for anything else during the 10+ weeks on the road. When I got home the account still had over $2k in it.

I don't think a more expensive bike would have enhanced the experience to any extent and I surely wouldn't trade the experience for any bike.
Excellent suggestion!!!! I have on my bicycling bucket list to do exactly what you have described. However, I might just have to get a special rig to tow my golf clubs along as I haven't gone that long without playing a round of golf for 45 years!!!! Is there a pill for that???? I'll have to give that some thought.
Old 11-12-08, 03:35 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
jppe,

I see that you have followed some advice by digging a hole and keeping the money for a while. My take is that you want to buy something special for yourself, and I agree that you do deserve it!

If it were me I would think about where I am in cycling, what I want to accomplish and where I see myself in 5 years or more down the road. Last year I was in the market for a bike to replace my 1999 Cannondale R 600. I had a plan to ride with faster riders and start to race. I also knew that at 54 years of age the bike most likely would not be the same bike I would be riding in 6 years, so my choice of bikes needed to fit into that window. I am assuming my next bike will be less aggressive and more on the touring side. I'll still have the "Ferrari "in the garage for special occaisions.

A custom frame would really be a great ride and instill a whole bunch of pride to it's owner. Would you be able to continue riding the bike for a long time if the geometery is too agressive or dailed into your current riding style? If not, selling a custom built bike may not be as easy or garner as much value as a top shelf frame. Good luck on your decision and keep us informed of your choice.
Your feedback is right on target as well. I can go one of two ways with my choices. I can make the new bike the one I do long rides in the mountains with so I'd take the weight weinee approach. If I did that, I could take the bike I presently use in the mountains-a Trek 5900- that has a silky smooth ride and make it my everyday bike. On the other hand, I could purchase a new everyday bike where weight was not as much an issue and go more for agressiveness. Even if I took that approach I would still factor in probably wanting the bars to be a little higher in a few years. By the way, I would also sell my Madone (at least the frameset) as the new bike would replace the need for that one.......(that might create a dissenting opinion or two)!!

If I can find something that is the perfect fit for my "desires" I think I'd be okay for years. A good analogy is my golf clubs. While the technology has changed dramatically over the past 10 years, I'm still using a set of irons that are a perfect fit for me and don't have a desire or need for anything else as the performance is as good as ever.

Thanks again for all the feedback and suggestions. While I enjoy an impulse or two, the engineer in me has me analyzing the various options and solutions to the nth degree.
Old 11-12-08, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Excellent suggestion!!!! I have on my bicycling bucket list to do exactly what you have described. However, I might just have to get a special rig to tow my golf clubs along as I haven't gone that long without playing a round of golf for 45 years!!!! Is there a pill for that???? I'll have to give that some thought.
I do highly recommend a coast to coast tour to anyone who is inclined in that direction. It really is quite an experience. Taking the golf clubs isn't too likely. You might be able to figure out a way to get some golfing in somewhere along the way though. Maybe you can convince someone to fly out to meet you in a city with a golf course somewhere along the way (and bring the clubs). Another option is to have support in the form of a chase vehicle, but that would really detract from the experience for me.