Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   First Club Ride (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/395377-first-club-ride.html)

Louis 03-08-08 03:37 PM

Another important piece of advice...show up at least 20 minutes before posted departure time. You're going to need time to sign in, read over the map, get your bottles and shoes sorted, talk to the ride leader etc. etc.

Nothing pisses off a ride leader like folks who arrive just as the ride is starting.

Beverly 03-08-08 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 6304192)
No- but then I do not tour. Give me more details about dates and possible tours and I'll try to find out for you.

I'm looking at the "Sussex by the Sea" tour. The info is for the 2008 tour and I'm hoping it's available next year.

Click "UK" in the left frame and scroll down to this tour.

http://www.cyclingholidays.org/

TruF 03-08-08 05:18 PM

Called the ride leader this morning to RSVP. Left her a VM that my husband and I are new to club riding, are interested in joining the ride tomorrow, and told her our experience. She called back and said she looks forward to seeing us tomorrow! We will get there early, for sure.

I just got back from the bike shop. They swapped out that terribly uncomfortable saddle for one that is supposed to be much more comfortable. I'm off for a test ride so I can make any adjustments before the ride tomorrow. Oh, and I bought a new helmet; this time I bought one that actually fits a woman's head! I think the other was uni-sex. What a difference the fit is. And it's black to match my new bike.

I'm very excited. This cycling stuff is totally addicting! I know some people who seem to never feel passion for anything. I wish I could bottle how I feel right now and pass it around! ;)

Mojo Slim 03-08-08 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by TruF (Post 6304746)
I wish I could bottle how I feel right now and pass it around! ;)

You have and you are.

Louis 03-08-08 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo Slim (Post 6304775)
You have and you are.

Indeed. Your enthusiasm reminds me of when I was getting started. There was no internet so I had to rely on books and magazines when and where they could be found.

Enjoy the ride tomorrow.

big john 03-08-08 06:38 PM

I think you're gonna love it, especially when you find the right people to ride with. I have made some good friends in my road club, and, yes, some of the women do the snot rocket. The double century and extreme century riders seem to do it more than the casual riders. If you're hammering a double and you can't breathe, well.....you just can't keep stopping.

divingbiker 03-08-08 07:01 PM

No snot rockets or loogie hawking for this woman. The only "guy thing" I can do is whistle with my fingers in my mouth. I can blow your eardrums out.

TruF 03-08-08 07:25 PM

The ride includes wine tasting at Korbel. I'm really looking forward to it!

Road Fan 03-08-08 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by TruF (Post 6304746)
Called the ride leader this morning to RSVP. Left her a VM that my husband and I are new to club riding, are interested in joining the ride tomorrow, and told her our experience. She called back and said she looks forward to seeing us tomorrow! We will get there early, for sure.

I just got back from the bike shop. They swapped out that terribly uncomfortable saddle for one that is supposed to be much more comfortable. I'm off for a test ride so I can make any adjustments before the ride tomorrow. Oh, and I bought a new helmet; this time I bought one that actually fits a woman's head! I think the other was uni-sex. What a difference the fit is. And it's black to match my new bike.

I'm very excited. This cycling stuff is totally addicting! I know some people who seem to never feel passion for anything. I wish I could bottle how I feel right now and pass it around! ;)

What saddle was bad and what saddle do you like? I'm on the lookout for Mrs. Road Fan's best saddle ever.

ScrubJ 03-08-08 08:23 PM

Hope you have a good time.

I do find it interesting that your club reverses their ride levels from the norm.

TruF 03-08-08 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 6305403)
What saddle was bad and what saddle do you like? I'm on the lookout for Mrs. Road Fan's best saddle ever.

Hi Road Fan,
The one I didn't like was the stock Specialized Jett saddle that came with the bike. The new one I'm trying is the Specialized Lithia 143. The jury is still out. The best saddle I ever tried was the Selle-An-Atomica. But that was only about 1/2 hour ride. Saddle preference seems very personal.

Good luck!

Spokes man 03-08-08 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by TruF (Post 6306564)
Saddle preference seems very personal.

It doesn't get much more personal. *L*

I'm going to break down and take part in my first organized group ride later this month, so I'll be interested in hearing how yours goes. My main concern is getting crashed into by someone else in the group; I'm not concerned about my own ability to avoid trouble, but I don't want someone crowding me or rear-ending me because they're distracted.

Yen 03-08-08 11:30 PM

Tru, you'll have a blast! The memorial ride last month was a turning point for us. We love riding together, but being in that group was really special, especially meeting and riding with some BF members and chatting with them along the way. Just imagine taking a walk with someone and chatting about whatever, but doing that on a bike.

Since it was our first group ride, we opted to start near the back, and just watch. (Needless to say, on our hybrids, we stayed at the back, LOL!) We learned some of the hand signals and verbal calls to signal speed changes or road hazards.

In my opinion, if you just practice the same good manners that we should in other walks of life (arriving on time or early, being courteous and considerate, being willing to take advice, paying attention to others' whereabouts, etc) then you will be fine.

I'll be looking for your ride report and pics tomorrow! :)

ken cummings 03-10-08 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by ScrubJ (Post 6305633)
Hope you have a good time.

I do find it interesting that your club reverses their ride levels from the norm.

The reversal may be due to our having started as a racing type group decades ago then splitting off the speed-at-any-cost types. Those people seems to think speed should come first. We think having fun comes first so we reverse the letter order.

stapfam 03-11-08 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 6304406)
I'm looking at the "Sussex by the Sea" tour. The info is for the 2008 tour and I'm hoping it's available next year.

Click "UK" in the left frame and scroll down to this tour.

http://www.cyclingholidays.org/

Sussex by the Sea 1

3rd August 2008 (Sun) - 7th August : 5 days £245
Easy
Centre Based : College : Half board
Staying in the historic city of Chichester, explore this beautiful part of Sussex. Pretty villages, old churches, museums and disused railway tracks, all close to the sea. Single en suite college rooms. Easy pace and terrain. Some hills one day. 25-38mpd. Suitable for fit beginners of all ages.
Leader: Roger Nash Ref: 0837

Chichester is an old town and is on the Plateaux south of the South Downs- where you could find some hills if you like. Plenty of History in the area if you like- And if you fancy a decent trip- Take a Mountain bike and go East on the South Downs Way to Eastbourne. Not far from where I live so I can give you lunch- Only about 80 miles away so good possibility of meeting up for a day or so.

Cost of the accomodation is cheap- if meals are provided- If not- then plenty of good restaurants in the area. August should give you warm weather but take a showerproof- and a full wet coat as we do occasionally get some Summer Showers around that time. Will be warm though and not too windy.As it is run by the CTC- there will be no problems with organisation.

Beverly 03-11-08 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 6322425)
Sussex by the Sea 1

3rd August 2008 (Sun) - 7th August : 5 days £245
Easy
Centre Based : College : Half board
Staying in the historic city of Chichester, explore this beautiful part of Sussex. Pretty villages, old churches, museums and disused railway tracks, all close to the sea. Single en suite college rooms. Easy pace and terrain. Some hills one day. 25-38mpd. Suitable for fit beginners of all ages.
Leader: Roger Nash Ref: 0837

Chichester is an old town and is on the Plateaux south of the South Downs- where you could find some hills if you like. Plenty of History in the area if you like- And if you fancy a decent trip- Take a Mountain bike and go East on the South Downs Way to Eastbourne. Not far from where I live so I can give you lunch- Only about 80 miles away so good possibility of meeting up for a day or so.

Cost of the accomodation is cheap- if meals are provided- If not- then plenty of good restaurants in the area. August should give you warm weather but take a showerproof- and a full wet coat as we do occasionally get some Summer Showers around that time. Will be warm though and not too windy.As it is run by the CTC- there will be no problems with organisation.

This sounds great. I was planning on bringing the rain gear after reading about your rides:) What is your description of "not too windy"?

Meeting up would be great:D

67walkon 03-11-08 07:30 PM

The A group around here hits 24 to 25 mph pretty consistently. If I see them coming, I can hang with them for a good few seconds. I was really proud one day when there was about a 15 mph headwind and I stayed at the back of their group for 5 or 6 miles.

The B group here runs around 19. I can stay with them. Not bad for an old guy.

It is, however, mildly annoying to get caught up in the middle of one of the groups just when you need to launch what we are gracefully referring to as a snot rocket. Do you blow into your hand? How disgusting, and how slippery. Into your sleeve, if you have one? Maybe its another good reason to wear gloves.

My personal observation is that the fairer sex generally has a hanky or tissue. I, on the other hand, have a finger to block one nostril and a turn of the head to keep it off my body!