Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What PSI do you use with your 25mm tires?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What PSI do you use with your 25mm tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-08, 08:00 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by az_cyclist
... Just go with recommendation on the sidewall
Too many tires are embossed with an inappropriately rigid "one size fits all" pressure recommendation. Sheldon had a good article about tire pressure, which should be a function not only of tire model and size, but also of rim type (hooked vs. straight-walled), rider weight, and position (5-10 PSI lower for the front than the rear, as noted several times in this thread).
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-11-08, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We seem to use a lot higher pressure than most -- 135 on 25mm Vredestein Tri-Comps. We're about 300 lbs on a tandem. Comfort seems to be fine. Guess our roads are relatively smooth.
Old 03-12-08, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
More of the same: Conti GP4000's (fine tire) 25's......95rear, 90front-- I weigh mid 160's. Higher inflations and I get too much "boing" on rougher roads.
Old 03-12-08, 10:34 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
You gotta take the rim/tire and pump it up until it breaks the rim or blows off the tire. Note the pressure. Then from then on you inflate to 1 psi less. Simple.

Back in the day I rolled on 18s. I can't find 'em any more and am stuck with big fat 23s...But I keep 'em rock hard because I hate rolling resistance more than a rough ride. And it shows how cool I am. As a bonus, when I get a rare blowout it is really impressive.
Old 03-12-08, 10:47 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have this pet theory that any energy saved by "less rolling resistance" is expended as your body absorbs the shocks of hard tires. It's like trampolining...amazing what an aerobic workout it can be as your body tenses every time it comes down into the tramp. Same with bumping around skiing moguls. Or marriage...absorbing all the mini shocks sort of wears you out over the years (lame joke!).
Old 03-13-08, 12:08 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
I have this pet theory that any energy saved by "less rolling resistance" is expended as your body absorbs the shocks of hard tires. It's like trampolining...amazing what an aerobic workout it can be as your body tenses every time it comes down into the tramp. Same with bumping around skiing moguls. Or marriage...absorbing all the mini shocks sort of wears you out over the years (lame joke!).
You may be right, because at the lowest pressure you might get 100% resistance, not be able to move at all and then not ever get tired.

Seriously though, on my commuter with larger tires and lower pressures I work a lot harder to go a lot slower than I do on my road bike with rock hard tires.

It may be placebo, but I swear I can feel the difference between 100 and 120 on the road bike. Yet the lower pressure never feels much smoother or less painful, just slower. YMMV
Old 03-13-08, 08:56 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by John E
Too many tires are embossed with an inappropriately rigid "one size fits all" pressure recommendation. Sheldon had a good article about tire pressure, which should be a function not only of tire model and size, but also of rim type (hooked vs. straight-walled), rider weight, and position (5-10 PSI lower for the front than the rear, as noted several times in this thread).
I do use about 10 psi lower in the front tire. I have been using the pressure recommendation on the tires for 25 years without problem.

I am not saying doing more research is a bad thing, merely that using the recommended pressure is not bad either.
Old 03-13-08, 01:28 PM
Do I use too many commas?

Bikes: Giant Yukon SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
110 psi front and rear. Bontrager Hardcase tires. I don't have any comfort issues. I also have a steel fork and frame.