Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Woman's saddles (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/396649-womans-saddles.html)

The Weak Link 03-11-08 07:41 PM

Woman's saddles

My wife has never cared much for the saddle on the back of our tandem (a Bontrager WSD) and now that my 12 y/o daughter is getting into it she doesn't like the saddle either. Both have been blessed by adequate gluteal adiposity. Any recommendations about a woman's saddle? Of course we'll have to experiment a bit, so we'll purchase it at the LBS and take it back if it doesn't work.

Digital Gee 03-11-08 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Weak Link (Post 6325379)
My wife has never cared much for the saddle on the back of our tandem (a Bontrager WSD) and now that my 12 y/o daughter is getting into it she doesn't like the saddle either. Both have been blessed by adequate gluteal adiposity. Any recommendations about a woman's saddle? Of course we'll have to experiment a bit, so we'll purchase it at the LBS and take it back if it doesn't work.

How do you define or determine "adequate gluteal adiposity," or is that some sort of euphemism?

Beverly 03-11-08 07:50 PM

I've replaced every Bontrager saddle that came on my Treks:(

My favorite saddle is the Specialized Dolce Gel Saddle I use it on the road bike I ride the most.

Tom Bombadil 03-11-08 07:52 PM

You would dare select a saddle for a woman?

Hermes 03-11-08 07:58 PM

Terry Butterfly.

Tom Bombadil 03-11-08 08:05 PM

How upright is their riding position? Usually the more upright one sits, the wider the saddle.

Last summer I rode twice with two 50+ couples. Both women were riding on wide (180mm'ish) padded saddle and both were using gel pads on top of them. I chatted with them about it and they both said that they couldn't ride more than 10 miles without the extra gel pads.

I know this isn't advice that is frequently given here, but out on the rail trails, it is far more common than what is discussed here.

conurejade 03-11-08 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 6325478)

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

A saddle is a very individual thing since everyone's 'assets' are different. I like The Terry Butterfly Ti (it took me 4 saddles to find one that wasn't painful to ride), but for my positive review there will be just as many people who think the Butterfly is the worst thing ever put on a bike. Terry does have a return guarantee if you're not 100% satisfied with any of their saddles.

http://www.terrybicycles.com/saddles...tem_no=2113900

Also just a reminder that there are different types of saddles based on the kind of riding you do.
And a wide and very padded saddle is not necessarily a good thing!!

divingbiker 03-11-08 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 6325466)
My favorite saddle is the Specialized Dolce Gel Saddle I use it on the road bike I ride the most.

I've got this saddle on my road bike, and like it also. On my commuter, xtracycle, and pink mixte I've got wide Brooks saddles (B68, 67, and 72) since I'm more upright.

Edit to add: I've got my eye on this saddle, too. Looks interesting.

solveg 03-11-08 08:34 PM

I hate my women's brooks B17. There's no nose on it, and I steer with the nose of my saddle.

Tom Bombadil 03-11-08 08:46 PM

A standard B17 is 280mm long and 170mm wide

A B17 Short (B17S) is 245mm long and 177mm wide

So the S version has a nose that is 1.4" shorter. But it certainly still has a nose.
http://www.westernbikeworks.com/prod...il.asp?p=BS17W

Road Fan 03-11-08 08:52 PM

Tom's right, this has been risky with Mrs. Road Fan!

solveg 03-11-08 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 6325951)
So the S version has a nose that is 1.4" shorter. But it certainly still has a nose.
http://www.westernbikeworks.com/prod...il.asp?p=BS17W

Doesn't feel like it. :mad:

AND it gave me my one and only saddle sore.

TruF 03-11-08 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by solveg (Post 6325827)
I hate my women's brooks B17. There's no nose on it, and I steer with the nose of my saddle.

Oh! I was wondering what that long nose is for! Learn something new everyday. Thanks, solveg. :)

zonatandem 03-11-08 10:33 PM

Stoker Kay rides a Serfas Cosmos saddle, currently has 18,000+ miles on it.
However, everyone's buns are different, some folks ride more upright than others (especially on rear of tandem) and some stoker use a shock absorbing seatpost.
A very soft, squishy saddle is not always the answer! What feels good for the first 5 miles may not do as well after 30 miles. So try as many saddles as you can 'til stoker smiles!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem

jppe 03-11-08 10:42 PM

My wife and daugher use the women's version of the Selle Italia Gel Max Flite (or something like that) and seem to do okay with it.

Red Rider 03-11-08 10:58 PM

I have a Dolce like Beverly's, and 2 Selle San Marco Glamour saddles. I like those very, very much.

oilman_15106 03-11-08 11:49 PM

To be said again: saddle comfort has more to do with a correct riding position than the saddle itself. If that is correct then start throwing $ at saddles.

freeranger 03-12-08 05:57 AM

TWL- I was wondering where you'd been. I have a women's Terry Cite saddle that's never been used. You are welcome to try it if you want, and if it works, I'll sell it cheap! Just let me know if you are interested.

Beverly 03-12-08 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by divingbiker (Post 6325616)
Edit to add: I've got my eye on this saddle, too. Looks interesting.

I just purchased this saddle to try. I haven't had the chance to mount it and give it a test ride.

Beverly 03-12-08 06:47 AM

Hey, it was a man who suggested the Specialized to me:)

solveg 03-12-08 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by TruF (Post 6326519)
Oh! I was wondering what that long nose is for! Learn something new everyday. Thanks, solveg. :)

Grumble grumble. OK, I'll be fair. I could ride the bike just fine with the women's brooks. It didn't affect my steering actually. It's just that I was used to having a long nose there, so not having it really, really felt different. There was definitely less to press my thigh against to steer with, but I'm not sure that extra bit of nose is really necessary. It just felt better. Like having a long spoon to stir batter with. Or using a regular size pen instead of some mini pen they give you at the bank.

I'm sure if I wasn't used to the men's version, the women's version would be fine.

But it still gave me a saddle sore. I think it was too wide.

maddmaxx 03-12-08 08:00 AM

Don't women ride sidesaddle? :eek:

Straight to the hot place..........................

divingbiker 03-12-08 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 6327818)
I just purchased this saddle to try. I haven't had the chance to mount it and give it a test ride.

Ooohh, please let me know what you think of it!

BluesDawg 03-12-08 08:26 AM

I don't know much about women's saddles, but I have studied them extensively on some group rides. ;)

Catweazle 03-12-08 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by maddmaxx (Post 6328158)
Don't women ride sidesaddle? :eek:

http://www.hyperhistory.org/images/a...ide_saddle.jpg