Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Topeak Road Morph (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/400162-topeak-road-morph.html)

tom cotter 03-23-08 11:10 AM

Topeak Road Morph

On the recommendations I got here I picked up a Road Morph Frame Pump. Wow! I'm impressed! I just mounted it to the 520. I completely deflated the front tire to see how well it worked. I have to say, reinflating that tire, I used the least effort ever.

So, now with that problem solved, anyone got an automatic flat changer they could recommend?

Thanks group for the great recco!

stringbreaker 03-23-08 11:23 AM

+1 on the road morph its a peach

George 03-23-08 11:34 AM

I've had one for over a year and only had to use it once, but when I did use it, it was nice.

Beverly 03-23-08 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by tom cotter (Post 6389437)
On the recommendations I got here I picked up a Road Morph Frame Pump. Wow! I'm impressed! I just mounted it to the 520. I completely deflated the front tire to see how well it worked. I have to say, reinflating that tire, I used the least effort ever.

So, now with that problem solved, anyone got an automatic flat changer they could recommend?

I love my Road Morph. I lost a part to it, emailed them and asked if I could purchase the part and they shipped me one free of charge. Great pump and service.

I'm still waiting on AAA to offer tire changing service for bikes:)

Monoborracho 03-23-08 03:02 PM

I recommend that you put black electrician's tape over all the valvehead. This keeps it clean (for when you need to use it) and also keeps the valve head from vibrating loose and falling off somewhere on the road and putting you out of businesss.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Dchiefransom 03-23-08 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by tom cotter (Post 6389437)

Always ride with a riding partner that you know is good at fixing flats, and "stumble" around fixing it slowly.;)

stapfam 03-23-08 03:54 PM

Only had a couple of flats on the road bike- and I used to use the Blackburn Mammoth pumps. Ideal for mountain bikes- but The effort required to get to 90 psi- the max as stated for the pump- is beyond me. Hate riding on low pressure so When I got a puncture- it was a slow ride afterwards.

I got a Mini Road morph as recommended by lots on this forum and it is fantastic at getting the tyre up to pressure. Easy to use and not a great deal of effort involved. Only problem is that it takes a long time to get to a high pressure. But as a pump that works and does get to the pressure required easily- It is fantastic.

Mojo Slim 03-23-08 05:38 PM

It's on my birthday list, coming up in April, if any of you are interested.

tom cotter 03-23-08 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Monoborracho (Post 6390361)
I recommend that you put black electrician's tape over all the valvehead. This keeps it clean (for when you need to use it) and also keeps the valve head from vibrating loose and falling off somewhere on the road and putting you out of businesss.

Good to know. I was going to put electricians tape, or something over the sharp ends of the zip ties(I zip tied the mounting bracket to the top tube). I can see that it's only a matter of time before one snags my inner thigh. Minor fix. I might try Super Glue or something similar to round out the sharp plastic ends.

Again thanks! 50 pluser's ROCK! And roll!

RoMad 03-23-08 06:04 PM

I cut the plastic ties off a little shorter and then rounded them on my bench grinder. I ended up moving mine frome my top tube to my down tube between the tube and the tire. There isn't much clearance, but it fits. To keep it from getting gunked up from the tire I put a small umbrella cover that my wife gave me a cover off of one of her small umbrellas. It looks like it came with it on it. This is on my Litespeed that I don't ride if it is rainy and wet, so it stays pretty clean there. The only problem I have is that when I ride my other bike I sometimes forget to move the pump. I know I could buy another one, but I'm frugal.

George 03-23-08 06:19 PM

Instead of cutting the ties off, butt your pliers up as far as you can on the ties and then twist it off. You wont have any sharp ends.

momof4greatkids 03-24-08 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by RoMad (Post 6391114)
I cut the plastic ties off a little shorter and then rounded them on my bench grinder. .

I wish I had known to do that before I went riding w/those sharp edges still sticking me in the thigh.......I tore a couple (albeit tiny) holes in my expensive cycling tights....:cry:

I hate to learn the hard way :(

alicestrong 03-24-08 04:47 PM

I just ordered one yesterday from Niagra...:)

I hope that it's as good as everybody has been saying it is...

staehpj1 03-24-08 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Monoborracho (Post 6390361)

I cut a 1" wide or so rubber band from an inner tube and stretch it over the pump head for the same reason. The same one lasted all summer on tour. Better than tape in that it can be used over and over again.

I used the pump for almost daily pumping of tires on three bikes for 73 days on our TransAmerica tour and that is a lot of pumping. It is truly a great pump (actually I used the Mountain Morph which is a shorter version of the same pump).

Monoborracho 03-24-08 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by staehpj1 (Post 6397077)
I cut a 1" wide or so rubber band from an inner tube and stretch it over the pump head for the same reason. The same one lasted all summer on tour. Better than tape in that it can be used over and over again.

I used the pump for almost daily pumping of tires on three bikes for 73 days on our TransAmerica tour and that is a lot of pumping. It is truly a great pump (actually I used the Mountain Morph which is a shorter version of the same pump).

Excellent idea. I too use the M-Morph but also own 2 Mini Morphs.

doctor j 03-24-08 06:26 PM

On a recent small group road ride, we had three flats. After one attempt with CO2 failed, we used my Mountain Morph to gas up the first flat. After that, we used the Mtn Morph for the other two. Got all the tires up to 100+ psi, no problem.

shmulb 03-25-08 02:19 PM

Which pump are you referring to ? I cannot find a road morph frame pump, there is a road morph series and a frame series!

shmulb 03-26-08 06:05 AM

Any one ? I'm still confused as to which pump is referred to here !

Beverly 03-26-08 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by shmulb (Post 6406321)

This is the one I purchased.

http://www.topeak.com/products/detail/238

cyclezealot 03-26-08 06:22 AM

My Morph has a gauge attached to the hose . Love it.

Monoborracho 03-26-08 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by doctor j (Post 6397494)
On a recent small group road ride, we had three flats. After one attempt with CO2 failed, we used my Mountain Morph to gas up the first flat. After that, we used the Mtn Morph for the other two. Got all the tires up to 100+ psi, no problem.

My Mountain Morph pumps out at about 110 psi. It goes to that pressure and then it becomes like a closed system and is very hard to pump,. but I think all the Morphs are rated to 160 psi.

Yen 03-26-08 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by shmulb (Post 6406321)

We have the same one as Beverly (4 of them, actually)...
http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Road-Mo...6540287&sr=1-1

Apparently it's called by different names, and "frame" is sometimes in the name and sometimes not. Ours is the "G" model.

RockyTopBiker 03-26-08 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 6389570)
I love my Road Morph. I lost a part to it, emailed them and asked if I could purchase the part and they shipped me one free of charge. Great pump and service.

I'm still waiting on AAA to offer tire changing service for bikes:)

I wanted another Road Morph seat tube mount for my second bike. Found the American Distributor, Todson, on the net. I tried to order online but their site was messed up, so I finally called their Toll Free number, expecting the runaround. To my delight, they sent one out absolutely free. I called on Friday and the mount arrived via mail on Monday. What a great company to do business with.

RHoude 03-26-08 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 6406356)
This is the one I purchased.

http://www.topeak.com/products/detail/238

I got the Road Morph without the in-line pressure gauge since I already had one (a pressure gauge that is).

Love it every time I have to call it in for a rescue (luckily not that often last year :D),
Ron