Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

It's The End of March, Do You Know Where Spring Is?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

It's The End of March, Do You Know Where Spring Is?

Old 03-30-08, 03:29 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! Just a couple more weeks and I should see my spring flowers popping through the ground

Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
Spring is in my yard.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 03-31-08, 01:55 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It appears that Spring is arriving in south central Wisconsin on April 2nd.

Forecasts beginning on 4/2 have highs ranging from 49 to 53 for the next 9 days, with lows in the 30s every day. Unfortunately not a lot of sun in the forecast, but Spring is our most overcast season.

In other words, we are almost up to a Northern California "winter."

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 03-31-08, 02:22 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 10544 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Mud tires............
Old 03-31-08, 02:33 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Spring is hiding underneath this somewhere I think:

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
Old 03-31-08, 02:48 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
This year's winter in the DC area has been a collection of all the worst aspects of spring. Rain, mud, windstorms have been our daily fare. If you can't ski in it, admire it, or get a day off from work because of it, what's the point? I'd gladly trade the past three months of evil spring for one month of good, honest, winter.

Paul
Old 03-31-08, 02:55 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Me and my firends are having an "Encourage Global Warming" party this weekend becuase it's been so crappy cold here. We've pledged to release the CO2 from our cartridges into the atmosphere. It's the least we could do. I'm tired of wearing my balaclava all the time.
Old 03-31-08, 05:04 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 10544 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Cheer up Dminor...........its all downhill from there.
Old 03-31-08, 05:51 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hated those snow pictures. Our snow just melted off after covering everything for over 4 months. I'm tired of looking at it.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 03-31-08, 06:03 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
I hated those snow pictures. Our snow just melted off after covering everything for over 4 months. I'm tired of looking at it.
Ours was nearly gone except for my plowing berms and in the shady patches - - until I woke up Sat. morning.

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
Old 03-31-08, 09:43 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rumor has it Spring is on its way to Pugetropolis this week. Supposed to be in the mid to upper 50's by weeks end. we'll see about that. I watched out the window this afternoon at the sun shining and some of the heaviest hail I have seen in a long time. But thats Spring in the Pacific Northwest, if you don't like the weather wait a minute it will change.
Old 04-01-08, 05:32 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just adding another wildflower picture. We did a hike through Limestone Canyon last week. We got some rain so there is snow (just a little) on Saddleback Peak. Also got some rain this last weekend which will hopefully extend the wildflower season.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 04-01-08, 05:40 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful picture! It's such a sharp contrast to the scenery I'm currently looking at out my office window Barren trees, no sunshine, rain and traffic on I-75.

Originally Posted by BCIpam View Post
Just adding another wildflower picture. We did a hike through Limestone Canyon last week. We got some rain so there is snow (just a little) on Saddleback Peak. Also got some rain this last weekend which will hopefully extend the wildflower season.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-01-08, 06:41 AM
Catweazle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those California poppies are, indeed, quite beautiful.
Old 04-02-08, 10:33 AM
cmcanulty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Up here in Marquette Michigan got 25.6" yesterday, an April fools joke by the weatherman, ugh!
Old 04-02-08, 10:54 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Outstanding photo! Beautiful and well-composed and worthy of a postcard!

That's why life in sunny California really is better!

Bevery - I've been to Ohio...you have my condolences. Have you ever considered moving West?

re: Ohio - I remember being there once and hearing a weatherman say that "today is going to be better than it's been recently...the clouds will thin out somewhat, and it will be a light gray day" (like that was a good thing ).

Once you've lived near the mountains, it's hard to imagine going back to the flatlands. I grew up on the flat humid prairies of north Texas, and there's just not enough money in the world to tempt me to move back there (despite the presence of friends and family).
Old 04-02-08, 12:21 PM
jedde

Bikes: Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got in from a brisk and sunny, 35F morning ride. What's not to like? You just have to dress for the cold. And I don't have to ice my bug juice. I love pushing myself to the edge going up the rollers and not sweating at all. I've never felt so alive. Its just awesome to hear the birds singing. 48 miles and maybe a dozen cars passed by.

But California does have nicer scenery.
Old 04-02-08, 12:23 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP View Post
Bevery - I've been to Ohio...you have my condolences. Have you ever considered moving West?

re: Ohio - I remember being there once and hearing a weatherman say that "today is going to be better than it's been recently...the clouds will thin out somewhat, and it will be a light gray day" (like that was a good thing ).

Once you've lived near the mountains, it's hard to imagine going back to the flatlands. I grew up on the flat humid prairies of north Texas, and there's just not enough money in the world to tempt me to move back there (despite the presence of friends and family).
All areas of the country have their pros/cons. I've never considered moving away from the area....family means too much to me. You evidently didn't look in the right places when you visited Ohio

One of our state parks in the winter...

Amish countryside....

One of our lakes in the fall....

-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-02-08, 12:31 PM
Spokes man

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spring is almost here in Tennessee . . . I think it's up there above all these gray clouds . . . that keep opening up with 2 inches of rain at a time . . .
Old 04-02-08, 12:42 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jedde View Post
...But California does have nicer scenery.
Only for another month or so. By June, maybe July it will all be dead and brown!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 04-02-08, 12:48 PM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only for another month or so. By June, maybe July it will all be dead and brown!
It is the same here in AZ, except it will start turning brown by May. Some of the grass growing in the desert is already turning brown. We still have the plants blooming in full force.

I just got back from the dr, and he says I have allergies. First time I have had to deal with that.
Old 04-02-08, 12:49 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ohio has some nice areas. I particularly like the Southeast corner, from Cambridge to Marietta to Athens to Gallipolis. Almost no flat land, nearly all hills. Moderate winters to my way of seeing things - Gallipolis' January hi/lo averages are 41/20 - a lot warmer than Wisconsin. Many state parks and Wayne National Forest covers a few hundred square miles in that area. Some pretty spots along the Ohio River too.

That area is on my radar as a place to retire, along with places in West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia.

Old 04-05-08, 09:10 AM
Viking55803

Bikes: Raleigh Tamland 1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Up here in Northern Minnesota, we are looking at a Winter Storm Watch with 6 to 8 inches of snow starting tonight! At this moment, however, it is 39 and sunny. That is surely warm enough for a bit of riding. Wait...I have to check the wind chill!
Old 04-05-08, 01:16 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spring has come to Wisconsin. It was 56 yesterday and is in the low 60s right now. The crocuses are blooming, nearly all of the snow is gone, and the roads are filled with cyclists.

Supposed to hit 62 tomorrow, then cool off again, with the next entire week in the 45-50 range. But after a nice weekend, having a few more 50/35 days is acceptable.

I think when it hit 60 a hour ago, that it was the first time we've been up to 60 since Nov 2nd - a period of 5 months and 3 days.

Old 04-06-08, 08:25 AM
richjac

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.7, Co-Motion Mocha

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can confirm the arrival of Spring in SE Wisconsin on Saturday, April 5th. Hooray!

Saturday's mileage: 27

Year-to-date mileage: 27
Old 04-06-08, 10:57 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a week of warming weather with temps up into the 60's- Todays ride cancelled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
snow3.jpg (57.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg
snow2.jpg (66.1 KB, 2 views)

Spike Milligan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.