Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tell me how much you hate the wind!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Tell me how much you hate the wind!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 09:06 AM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW - In the email today from roadbikerider.com

"How Can I Cope With Spring Headwinds?

Q: Spring has finally come to my area after a cold and snowy winter. I should be happy because it's warmer, but the wind is worse than I can remember. It seems like 40-mph gales kick up just when I get off work for a ride. How can I keep my enthusiasm in these hurricanes? -- Jeffrey S.

Coach Fred Matheny Replies: I agree that wind is tough. Here in western Colorado, the great spring wind machine is revving up right now, too. I especially hate how strong it gets just when I want to feel fast again after a long winter. Wind makes me crawl no matter how hard I ride.

It helps to always remember: Headwinds actually help fitness. They make you work harder for every inch you cover -- terrific for power building. Then when you get a tailwind, you can improve your leg speed.

Also, a headwind gives you the chance to tune your position. It's almost like being in a wind tunnel. You can feel small changes in upper-body posture make a real difference in speed and pedaling ease. "

Now there's a postivie spin on the wind. Might even work in Blowyoming.
Old 04-03-08, 10:23 AM

Bikes: '07 Trek Pilot 5.0, ~'92 Trek Navigator 400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate headwinds, I love tailwinds, so I suppose the two balance each other out. On my usual ride there is one fairly long 'T' leg where I have the choice of going left or right. I always choose so I start with upwind and end with upwind so I have the long run between downwind. Otherwise I just sort of ignore it as best I can.

And, of course, given my lack of dedication, if it is all that windy I may just skip the ride. :-)
Old 04-03-08, 10:33 AM
Burn Rubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to ride in the morning as opposed to afternoon. Less traffic and less wind.
Old 04-03-08, 11:40 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Catweazle
I was planning to take the hybrid out for my second ride of the day a bit later, but rain has been blown in with the wind now, and I suspect that's not gonna end up happening. I feel kinda guilty about that, so I'd love to hear your stories about how much the wind sucks rather than blows! What kinda conditions pull YOU up?

Of course, if you relish riding in the wind it'd be fun to hear about that too, or if you have any tips for riding in windy conditions, or whatever.....
While others complain about the wind, the wise man looks to invest in wind turbines and sailboats.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-03-08, 12:15 PM
Old AND Slow

Bikes: Ross, Trek L200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The wind is like every other weather event while cycling, something to be taken in stride (just in a lower gear).
Old 04-03-08, 12:16 PM

Bikes: Fuji Professional

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always try to start out with it in my face so it hopefully is on my arse on the way home but as someone stated earlier some days it doesn't matter which way you turn at the corner it is always in your face.
Old 04-03-08, 12:33 PM
Bikin' and Hikin'

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remember the Kingston Trio? Damn, they're looking old. Anyway, here's what they had to say about the wind.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8e9F...eature=related
Old 04-03-08, 01:23 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Dnvrfx has already said it- You don't have hills- So look on wind as your training aid.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-03-08, 01:54 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
head wind = bad
tail wind=good
cross winds= really suck
Old 04-03-08, 04:33 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some times I don't like the wind, like when it's in my face and it kicks my a**.
Other times as it pushes me along and I feel like I can really kick a**, I like wind.

Go figure.
Old 04-03-08, 07:06 PM
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple of lines from one of my favorites:

Outside in the cold distance
A wild cat did growl
Two riders were approachin
And the wind began to howl

. and then Jimi says "Howl a little"
and launches into this guitar thing
as only he could do it.
Old 04-03-08, 07:39 PM
Old Fogy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was born and raised in a windy place, I live in a windy place, and after 68 years to get used to it, I still hate it. If it would just be a tail wind, I wouldn't mind. But if I'm lucky, I have half head wind and half tail wind. I can't count how many times I've gone out against a headwind, and had it turn around when I started back, giving me a headwind both ways. I also hate winter! Am I a misanthrope?
Old 04-03-08, 09:31 PM
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Well, I have been forced to change my mind. Perhaps it can be a bit too windy.

Twenty minutes ago thunderstorms featuring that cyclonic circulation that presage tornados just passed over. In some places , cars were flipped and I've heard that an outbuilding was harmed. Funnel clouds and wall clouds were reported. A trailer park beyond me was destroyed. The center passed within a mile. I spent an interesting 20 minutes in the kitchen closet, drinking sparkling water, eating string cheese and cinnamon raisin bread while listening to the TV weather coverage.

Note to self, next time, put on your shoes before getting in the closet. If the apartment got blown apart, it would be painful walking around barefoot afterwards.

And because this is a bicycle forum, I want to say thank you to Judy Lansky for giving me a ride home from the Bicycle Advocacy meeting so I didn't have to ride through this storm on my bicycle; as I would have been arriving home through massive lightning just in time to cross paths with the rotating storm.

And now the weather people say there are more storms like it on the way.

I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 04-03-08 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-03-08, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you, Artkansas. Now I don't feel so wussy for not riding when tree branches were breaking off and whistling past me 'tother day!

Old 04-03-08, 10:07 PM
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
We don't all want to emulate Miss Gulch in the Wizard of Oz.

Now the news reports have shown the funnel cloud ripping across the camera's view flipping the cars and there are reports of a lot of trees down very close to me. At least 15 airplanes flipped at a local airport. Big gas leaks in some neighborhoods. Not a great night for bicycling.

Last edited by Artkansas; 04-03-08 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-03-08, 10:25 PM
Living Life On Two Wheels

Bikes: Giant Rincon 2007 Model - Black & Grey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
some great points cycling is surely an adventure and really when it comes right down to it, dependant on your point of view it can be a blessing or a curse. The choice is yours to decide. To ride is a wonderful way to get the exercise that is so necessary in these days.
Old 04-04-08, 06:32 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to put up with wind about 300 days a year. It is generally in the 10mph with 15mph gusts and I just get as low as I can get and spin. Since I have no hills I just look at this as my hill work. When the wind gets greater than 20mph with 30mph gusts I'll generally sit it out, too much masochism to ride in winds that strong. The only complaint I have is that after four days of high wind I would just like one day of a break to completely enjoy the ride.

2013 Noah RS
Old 04-04-08, 09:14 AM

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Repeat after me: "The wind is my friend." Do not make the wind gods angry with a lot of ranting here.
Old 04-04-08, 09:17 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I am ok with it as long as it is under 40 mph. After that I am afraid of being blown sideways. As they say, it can make you stronger, if it is a headwind. If it causes me to loose a day of cycling; I am bitter.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 04-04-08, 11:08 AM
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lighthorse
Repeat after me: "The wind is my friend." Do not make the wind gods angry with a lot of ranting here.
I think I'm safe now. The Wind Gods were partying big time in Little Rock last night.

Old 04-04-08, 11:39 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Most of the high wind conditions seem to happen about now -- in the spring. Unfortunately, that's when 'warm' is hardest to come by, and wind makes things COLD. Sure it slows me down some, but that's not the reason to hate it.
Me too. Once it gets really warm out, I enjoy a nice headwind but not a strong trail wind.
Old 04-09-08, 08:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever direction I should ride, there shall be headwinds. If I should turn, the wind shall adjust itself accordingly!! I have bad headwind mojo!!! I cannot trust the weather channel.
Billbass
Old 04-09-08, 08:59 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtruro
head wind = bad
tail wind=good
cross winds= really suck
Concur. I find strong gusty crosswinds terrifying at times.

On group rides, I find I hold my own on climbs, but really start to fall back in a windy situation.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-09-08, 05:53 PM
self propelled lifer

Bikes: 1962 Dawes Galaxy; 72 Gitane Interclub;73 Peugeot PR10;78 Torpado Luxe;73 Grandis; 81 Raleigh/Carlton Comp; 85 Bianchi Stelvio; 87 Bianchi Brava; 73 Bottechia Special; 1969 or70 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Those winds that blow from the East-West really annoy me. I live at the end of the road so all my rides go West on the way out and East on the way home, South winds however aren't too bad as theres some shelter. Seriously though, i'm not sure if i believe all the global warming rhetoric but i do think its way windier now than it ever used to be. Our winters are very cold up here, down to -40 sometimes but the saving factor used to be that when it was that cold it was (usually) dead calm....not anymore, it seems that every day of every season is windy now.
Old 04-09-08, 10:42 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Been blown over by the wind on my racing bike . . .
No fun; wind blew through a saddle (that a low spot/dip between 2 mountains for flatlanders) as I crested a steep climb. Windgust blew me sideways into gravel at edge of road. Rolled over the bars and got knocked out. Came to with a car driver with cell phone in hand calling the paramedics. Had 6 broken ribs and a punctured lung. Lucky part was that I just missed a 50 foot dropoff.
Moral of the story: gain some weight or put rocks in my jersey pockets on a windy day . . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.