Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone else doing the GIRR in Sept.?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-05-08, 08:50 AM
Elwoodab
BTV 75 Seahorse

Bikes: Giant Iguana Mtn.Bike, Cannondale H700 Hybrid, Scott Speedster S10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I signed up for my 1st bike vacation this week. It's the Great Illinois River Ride (http://www.illinoisgreatriversride.com/index.htm) in Sept. An old army buddy of mine and his wife did it last year and said it was great. Riding, happy hour, and good food and entertainment, along with some site seeing along the way. I've never done anything like this before so I am really looking forward to it.
Any one else doing this or done it ?

Last edited by Elwoodab; 04-05-08 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-05-08, 10:29 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Oh man!

I think that I would have planned this ride insted of one of my Wisconsin trips had I known.

Take your hill gears. I've ridden in that Giant City State Park area and there are some significant climbs. I remember seeing the water tower that I knew marked the finish maybe 1/2 mile away as the crow flies. The crow, however, didn't have a 2 mile descent followed by a 2 mile 10 to 15% climb.
Old 04-05-08, 08:19 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have considered either GIRR or BRAT (Tennessee) for a September ride, but no firm plans as of yet.