Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Saturday afternoon on the MUT

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-06-08, 08:43 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Since we had pretty nice weather yesterday, temperature in the 50's or so, my wife and I decided to take the tandem somewhere for lunch. Our daughter had previously recommended a "Boat House" restaurant in Creve Coeur Park.

We decided to ride a loop of the park's multi use trail first. The athletic fields had both a soccer tournament and a rugby tournament going so there were lots of people. Unfortunately, a portion of the trail is slipping toward the lake resulting in some bike tire eating longitudinal cracks in the trail. Since the maintenance people had closed that portion of the trail I decided, against my better judgement, to take the loop by the beach.

My better judgement was correct. Besides the soccer and rugby tournaments, there was also a rowing regatta going on. Lots of people standing around and even sitting on the trail. This was in addition to the normal crush of kids on training wheel bikes, dog walkers, and roller bladers, none of whom seemed particularly interested in making room for a tandem bicycle. We saw a roller blader and a fellow who would qualify for 50+ rushing the season with no shirts. It made me cold just to watch them. All-in-all it was an excellent opportunity to sharpen up my low speed bike handling skills so naturally I was grateful for that.

Then we decided to ride to the boat house for a sandwich. The menu had a printed list of FAQs. One of them was "How come the food takes so long?" They weren't kidding. It took us an hour and twenty minutes to get a cold roast beef sandwich and a not very chickeny chicken taco salad. Also, no pie. We won't be going back there.

Most of the way back home was downwind so we cranked it up to 17 or 18 MPH which is pretty good for us anytime but especially this early in the season. The nice thing about riding a tandem is you always have somebody to share the experience whether good or bad. Over all we had pretty a good time but I was glad that we didn't have anywhere else that we needed to be yesterday afternoon.
Old 04-06-08, 09:20 AM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 10544 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Proof that there are no "bad" bicycle rides. Some may be better than others but all of them are worth the trip.

Did the sitter's move at all or just sort of look at you with that Owl eye look the get when startled...
Old 04-06-08, 10:07 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Did the sitter's move at all or just sort of look at you with that Owl eye look the get when startled...
They neither moved nor looked startled. I guess I don't look threatening enough. Maybe I should get some nice tasteful tattoos on my neck.
Old 04-06-08, 01:03 PM
Rober

Bikes: 1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your ride sounds 50% annoying and 50% fun. I'm surprised you and your wife were willing to wait that long for a crumby sandwich - you must have been too hungry to leave. That "boathouse" should be boycotted into bankruptcy. Our MUP is heating up (7 miles out-and-back up a canyon). I was eyeing bells at REI, thinking about the jog-zombies and three-abreast power yackers that have started to clog it. But I get so pi$$ed when someone rings a bell at me, I decided against it and will work in my Unconditional Acceptance skills in the next few weeks instead. Happy spring!
Old 04-06-08, 01:17 PM
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A restaurant called The Boat House really should have pie.
Old 04-06-08, 01:31 PM
Kurt Erlenbach

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was two years ago this week that I had my worst crash ever when a mother pushing her too small child in a Big Wheel on a MUP pushed it right in front of me. Trails are too dangerous for bikes.
Old 04-06-08, 01:39 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What? No pie? When Stapfam hears this he ain't gonna like it one little bit.

I seldom ride on weekends but when I do, I avoid MUT's for those same reasons. Actually, I try to avoid MUT's during the week as well.
Old 04-06-08, 01:58 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only saving grace of this posting is that the MUT was used against better judgement.

NO PIE!!!!

Tandems have right of way over(As in ride Over) everything that gets in their way.

1 hour 20 minutes waiting for food

That is one ride I would not go on again. And definitely a cafe to steer clear of.

I have learnt with the Tandem that they are not the easiest of things to manoevure. We give people one warning-and then try to miss them. It does not always work- The missing I mean- but most do get out of our way. (Stoker has to get a louder voice and learn a few choicer words) Another good thing to do is carry Extra water in a Camelback. Pressure it and just hold the Mouthpiece in the direction of the offenders. Even better if it is a sweet sticky Energy drink as it will stick and in Summer attract the bees. Vengeance is sweet.

Still it was a ride which is more than I got in this weekend- but time to call on a few Mates to call on that cafe and complain about the lack of Pie.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-06-08, 06:37 PM
Cone Wrench

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I steer clear of recreational bike paths on weekends, but they are deserted in the early morning and late evening.

That tandem slalom sounds scarey.
Old 04-06-08, 07:21 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rober View Post
Your ride sounds 50% annoying and 50% fun. I'm surprised you and your wife were willing to wait that long for a crumby sandwich - you must have been too hungry to leave. That "boathouse" should be boycotted into bankruptcy. Our MUP is heating up (7 miles out-and-back up a canyon). I was eyeing bells at REI, thinking about the jog-zombies and three-abreast power yackers that have started to clog it. But I get so pi$$ed when someone rings a bell at me, I decided against it and will work in my Unconditional Acceptance skills in the next few weeks instead. Happy spring!
Its reasonable to yell "Good Morning" or "Happy Spring." The former works well in Ann Arbor!
Old 04-06-08, 07:36 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been taking Cheri on the O&E towpath lately for her first rides since her foot surgery last October. Flat miles at an easy pace is what she needs right now to get her started back into shape and while we experiment with different shoe/pedal combinations for her.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey