Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

30 minutes in a cold shed.

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-06-08, 03:08 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not on my bike- I hasten to add but on my mate Martyns bike. He is a big lad and as such he breaks things. Normally when he gets a set of spanners in his hands as he is not mechanically minded. Hence I maintain his bike.
Problem today was to fit a new Crankset. This is the 5th in 7 years and last one I fitted was about 2 years ago and is an LX with the octalink bottom bracket. No problems as the new one has the external bearings and is the latest type. So off with the old crankset and bottom bracket and chain rings were worn enough to say it had to be changed completely.

This type of external bearings is on both my new Road bikes- but I have never fitted one before. What a simple system- looks a dream to set up so started fitting it. Something was wrong though. There was a gap between the r/h crank arm and the bearing. Not just a gap- it was about 3/8". Looked at it and no instructions in the box- so Online. There are 3 spacers somewhere-Found them and was wondering what they were for. Stripped down again fitted two of the spacers and they go between the bottom bracket shell and the bearings. Set up again and still a bit of a gap so strip down again. This time I did not fully tighten the bearings- just in case I have to strip it down again. Set it up and and it is perfect but now have to tighten the bearings fully home. Bu**er it. the tool won't fit with the cranks on.

Guess what I will be finishing off when I get home from work tomorrow. the 30 minute job has taken 2 hours so far- but I now know how to fit the latest type crankset to a bike.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-06-08, 03:17 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
the 30 minute job has taken 2 hours so far- but I now know how to fit the latest type crankset to a bike.
So there you are. I don't think that I've done anything in my life that I didn't think I could do both better and faster the second time. Proves that we're not too old to learn new tricks. Yet.