Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Club Picnic Ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Club Picnic Ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-08, 08:40 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Club Picnic Ride

Whew! The annual cycling club picnic ride was yesterday. There were three rides from which to choose: the easy 23 miler, the intermediate 38 miler, and the longer 50 miler. We normally ride about 36 miles round trip most Sundays, so we opted for the 38 miler even though it was rated more difficult than the "easier" rides our club runs. (Ours is the club that rates rides backwards: A is easy paced, B is moderately paced, and C is killer. We opted for the longer "B" ride) Well, we got left in the dust. Wow, were those folks in far better shape than I am! They just zoomed up those hills!! At some point I had to give up trying to keep with the group, so my kind hubby (who was doing fine keeping up with those road bikes on his Trek hybrid) stayed with me. We ended up having a wonderful ride, although I quickly realized that our leisurely 36 miler, which is cut into 15 miles and 21 miles by our favorite breakfast stop, is not the same as a fast-paced 28 miler, up and down hills, with a picnic stop and then a 10 ride home.

Anyway, we had a great time, completed the ride, although at a slower pace, and still got to the picnic in time for food! (Some riders even got there after we did.) I feel so lucky to live in this area. The back roads are so lovely on a bike. Some roads I'd never even driven although we've lived in this area since 1989. But the cars coming up from behind are very scary to me.

I'm totally inspired by the other cyclists. Just wait until next year.
Old 04-08-08, 05:30 AM

Bikes: Raleigh SC30

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it is awesome to hear you are out having fun with your hubby, I wished my wife would join me even on rides around the block. (she is very overweight)

On my ride Saturday I was passed up by a LOT of people & I just thought to myself; why can't I go that fast?
You have the right idea, you are learning & new to the sport so by next year you will be stronger, better, & more officiant (sp?) & that will make a big difference.

Funny how you see things differently on a bike now that you are riding, & you are seeing different parts of your city, town, state.

Keep up the good work & just enjoy that new bike.
Old 04-08-08, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TruF
Whew! The annual cycling club picnic ride was yesterday. There were three rides from which to choose: the easy 23 miler, the intermediate 38 miler, and the longer 50 miler. We normally ride about 36 miles round trip most Sundays, so we opted for the 38 miler even though it was rated more difficult than the "easier" rides our club runs. (Ours is the club that rates rides backwards: A is easy paced, B is moderately paced, and C is killer. We opted for the longer "B" ride) Well, we got left in the dust. Wow, were those folks in far better shape than I am! They just zoomed up those hills!! At some point I had to give up trying to keep with the group, so my kind hubby (who was doing fine keeping up with those road bikes on his Trek hybrid) stayed with me. We ended up having a wonderful ride, although I quickly realized that our leisurely 36 miler, which is cut into 15 miles and 21 miles by our favorite breakfast stop, is not the same as a fast-paced 28 miler, up and down hills, with a picnic stop and then a 10 ride home.

Anyway, we had a great time, completed the ride, although at a slower pace, and still got to the picnic in time for food! (Some riders even got there after we did.) I feel so lucky to live in this area. The back roads are so lovely on a bike. Some roads I'd never even driven although we've lived in this area since 1989. But the cars coming up from behind are very scary to me.

I'm totally inspired by the other cyclists. Just wait until next year.

That, IMHO, is the key to a good day on the bike.