Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A Washout

Old 04-26-08, 03:20 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A Washout

Well - Washout road that is.
I usually save my climbs on washout road just west of Scotia NY for when I have my Spring fitness back, there is a bail out about 2/3 of the way up and I will take that the first few times I climb it in the season. Well I decided today was the day and the new Tarmac was the ride. I approach this hill after an 18 mile ride along the old Erie Canal which takes me through the Stockade in Schenectady. The wind was cranking out of the NE today so I was going to have it in my face on the climb and the way home.
I climbed the whole thing instead of using the bail out - feel great about that. I used the HRM for the first time on this climb - spent a lot of time in the 90%s. This climb is a couple miles long and a lot of verticle - maybe about 800ft, I was trying to print an elevation profile but forgot how to get into my bikely account so I uploaded the little one my GPS gives me. As you can see the hill is Stuckin Feep - and it goes on forever. The way I approach it I make a 35 mile loop out of it. I feel good about climbing it so early, I won't brag about the average speed though - the ascent was pretty slow with the last 1/3 in my lowest gear at about 5mph. The descent is always glorious but with the wind in my face I did not hit the typical 35 to 40 mph - my max speed on the ride was 27mph.

Next week will be cold in rainy - I need to get the weekly miles in today and tomorrow. I'll crash now...
Old 04-26-08, 03:28 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a heck of a hill CF, you should be congratulated. In fact, I try to avoid hills like that...most of the time.
Old 04-26-08, 03:34 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Those steep hills early in the season are a nightmare. You climbed it last year and that was only 6 months ago so surely you haven't lost that much energy and fitness in such a short time. Only way I look at doing one so early is that nothing is going to be as bad for the rest of the year. You must have retained some of last years fitness though----Climbing at 5 mph and not taking the bale out route- Even if you thought about it.

Well done- So whats the next slope going to be?

Spike Milligan
Old 04-26-08, 06:12 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congrats to you.

I taught my daughters to love attacking the little hills we have
around our neighborhood. I'm glad they're away at school and
can't see those very same little hills knocking the living crap out
of me this year.

Sounds like you've got a good jump on a great season of biking.

Happy Trails
Old 04-26-08, 07:26 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
Well done- So whats the next slope going to be?
I am toying with the Whiteface uphill race Whiteface uphill race

One of my riding buddies has done this ride last year and is training for it this year - we ride together several days a week. There are age groups so I would not end of competing against my friend - he is a bit younger (and a lot thinner).

We have been discussing a training day climbing lake desolation road - 4miles, 900 ft of verticle. If we do this twice it is almost equivalent to the race. See thumbnail. When doing todays climb I question the wisdom. I will keep at it and make my decision in a few weeks and June 14th is not that far off. I actually hate hills but I know that climbing them makes you faster overall - and staying up with the youngins on the club rides is satisfying. I will do the training day with him and see if my heart stays in my chest.