Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Call me a Slug

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Call me a Slug

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-08, 06:59 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Call me a Slug

A slug is what I felt like today-I never could get my HR up and just didn’t have any power in my legs. I can blame it on either the BBQ dinner my brother fed me last night, all the riding I did this week or just being 55+!!

I did a 100 mile organized ride out of Hanging Rock State Park north of Winston-Salem, NC. We started and finished in the Park. There were so few doing the 100 mile ride there weren’t many folks I could group with. I also made the mistake of doing some long pulls with some folks only to find they did the 60 mile route. So basically my 100 miler was done solo-but I would have been miserable trying to keep up with anyone other than an expectant Mom in her 8th month today anyway……….

Total climbing for the day was around 8000 ft on the Garmin and Motion Based showed over 9000 ft. There were a number of climbs of 1-2 mile with 5-8% grades and at least 12 hills with grades of 15%+. There was one hill that was about 1 mile long and was the steepest sucker I’ve ever seen. It showed 24% on the Garmin as I was riding and 22% when I downloaded it. It was one scary sight coming up to the bottom of that thing. I did most of it out of the saddle which is very unusual for me.
The weather was super. It started raining as I was putting my bike back in the van so the wet stuff held off for us. There was a little more wind than I’d like but not as bad as some of the winds we’ve had this year.

Here are the two elevation profiles from Wednesday and today. Within the last week I’ve climbed about 15,000+ feet. My time today was just less than 6 hr 30 mins and thankfully not even the first twinge in my legs. I suspect that was because I never pedaled hard enough to make them hurt!!!

My only complaint was all the rough chip and seal roads on the tough climbs-that type of road surface just made the climbs feel even steeper.

I have no idea what to expect for 3 State 3 Mountain out of Chattanooga in a couple weeks...... but if can avoid the BBQ and pie over the next couple weeks maybe I’ll at least have a chance to finish.

Here is the elevation profile from today. The scale doesn't do it justice because of the descent and climb at the start and finish. But just look at all the ups and downs over this route. I don't think I've done a route that had as many individual hills......and most seemed really steep at that.

I also did this ride on Wednesday. I was able to get in about 15,000 ft of climbing over the past week (a third 62 miler is not shown).

Old 04-19-08, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dude! If you call that being a slug...then I'm the rock you crawl out
from under, a dead rock at that. To me you've had an impressive week with some impressive rides!

Happy Trails

Last edited by cranky old dude; 04-19-08 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-19-08, 07:14 PM
Michigan Rider

Bikes: Pinarello, Motobecane Immortal Force, Diamondback, Fischer (German)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This makes me think I have peaked. Cycling seasons over.
Old 04-19-08, 07:16 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want someone to compare yourself with: I tilled the garden and felt so proud of my accomplishment that I decided to take a nap.
Old 04-19-08, 07:21 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
You are a slug. When are you going to do something challenging? But as usual... I am patiently waiting for the 40K TT report.
Old 04-19-08, 07:28 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're a slug. I guess that would make me a dead slug.
Old 04-19-08, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take three days off and call me in the morning.
Old 04-19-08, 07:45 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Yeah, right. You do a century as hilly as the hilliest I've ever done in a time equal to the fastest century I've ever done and I'm supposed to call you a slug. Maybe some mutant slug with super powers.

Congratulations on a great week of riding.