Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Greetings from Fast across America South Tour (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/410516-greetings-fast-across-america-south-tour.html)

Beverly 05-18-08 07:26 PM

:beer:

Congratulations! I've enjoyed your reports and look forward to the picutres.

How soon will you be doing the next one:)

will dehne 05-18-08 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Spokes man (Post 6714463)
Congratulations, Will, and thanks for posting these daily reports so the rest of us could experience a cross-country tour, if only vicariously. I can't imagine what it would feel like to ride 27 centuries in roughly a month's time. Way to go, man! :beer:

Riding 3,000 miles is OK in a month. The big challenge are the road surfaces. Chipseal will beat the hell out of any heavier biker. Going up a steep hill with chipseal is more than reasonable. You do need willpower to overcome that challenge.
Going down a hill with speeds over 30 MPH and hit a cattle guard defies ordinary caution. Ditto hit washboard effect of screwed up pavement from heavy trucks.

I am not saying not to do this, just be mentally prepared and take it easy with speed.

Old Hammer Boy 05-18-08 09:47 PM

Hi Will,

Congratulations. You're one tough guy and I admire you greatly. I, like so many other 50+ readers have thoroughly enjoyed your ride reports. I know it's an additional "burden" to post when you're so busy with everything involved in such an adventure, and we out here in 50+ land really appreciate that effort. Thanks.

I'm curious. Have you ever considered a slower paced self-supported tour? I can't help but contrast my coast-to-coast adventure from last year to this agressive, fast-paced, balls-to-the-wall trip across this great country. I so enjoyed everything about my tour; the cycling, the fantastic people, the wonderful little towns, the food, camping under the stars, pretty much everything. I couldn't have enjoyed myself at the pace you and the other riders maintained. Do you feel you missed out, not being able to "smell the roses?"

A beautiful thing about the human condition is that we each have a different way of passing our time here on earth. I sense that you're into the competition more than I. Regardless of how you do it, such a ride does change you, doesn't it?

BengeBoy 05-18-08 10:57 PM

Will, did your riding partner Sandra finish?

Kurt Erlenbach 05-19-08 05:13 AM

Do you have a total riding time and total mileage? This was an amazing trip.

solveg 05-19-08 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by will dehne (Post 6718192)
[B]Very good Sunglasses.

Exercise bands for upper body work out.

I was wondering about sunglasses, because I'll bet they get beat up from dust on a ride like that. I get headaches if I have marred sunglasses on for too long. What were your glasses made of?

EXCERCISE BANDS!!!!! Never in my wildest imagination would I have thought of bringing those, and I would have been too exhausted to even think of using them.

will dehne 05-19-08 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy (Post 6719167)
Hi Will,

Congratulations. You're one tough guy and I admire you greatly. I, like so many other 50+ readers have thoroughly enjoyed your ride reports. I know it's an additional "burden" to post when you're so busy with everything involved in such an adventure, and we out here in 50+ land really appreciate that effort. Thanks.

I'm curious. Have you ever considered a slower paced self-supported tour? I can't help but contrast my coast-to-coast adventure from last year to this aggressive, fast-paced, balls-to-the-wall trip across this great country. I so enjoyed everything about my tour; the cycling, the fantastic people, the wonderful little towns, the food, camping under the stars, pretty much everything. I couldn't have enjoyed myself at the pace you and the other riders maintained. Do you feel you missed out, not being able to "smell the roses?"

A beautiful thing about the human condition is that we each have a different way of passing our time here on earth. I sense that you're into the competition more than I. Regardless of how you do it, such a ride does change you, doesn't it?

The answer to your question is not so simple. I do most of my biking in the "smell the roses mode." Specifically on the Rails to Trails in Wisconsin and Minnesota with my wife on a tandem or Hybrid. We will do such a tour in and to Idaho in July this year.

The reason for this tour has nothing to do with that. I am and always have been competitive. I need a challenge to feel that I am living life to the fullest. The trick is to find a challenge just on the limit of my capabilities. I have thought about Hiking the Appalachian Trail. Mountain Touring in the European Alps and New Zealand or South America. Kayaking down the Mississippi. Of those challenges I choose the comparably easy CC bike ride.

I have this out of my system now and we will take it easy for a year or two.

will dehne 05-19-08 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by BengeBoy (Post 6719451)
Will, did your riding partner Sandra finish?

Yes. She started out with issues but got stronger as she went on. I must admit that I could not keep up with her on the hills, especially with the Chip-seal surfaces. I was able to lead her on the flats.

She is a very interesting women. She works hard on getting along with everyone. An accomplished MTB biker. She was #4 on the USA team and competed in South Africa for the USA. She has social skills which I wish I had.
I did not know any of this as we started out. She did not broadcast her accomplishments. Others told me later. I am happy to have spend much time with her and her husband Ken.

http://sandramusgrave.com/contactme.html

will dehne 05-19-08 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kerlenbach (Post 6719934)
Do you have a total riding time and total mileage? This was an amazing trip.

A tour member by the name of Paul has a blog with that information. I hope he does not mind that I copied his information here:

Day date Location Miles total Actual Miles Actual Total Speed Time Ascent (ft) Decent (ft)

Averages 116.85 16.90 6:55 4520.4 4536.12
Totals 2921.35 miles 7d4h49m 113,010 feet 113,403 feet

http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~pauld/castanza/bikeTrip/

will dehne 05-19-08 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by solveg (Post 6720057)
I was wondering about sunglasses, because I'll bet they get beat up from dust on a ride like that. I get headaches if I have marred sunglasses on for too long. What were your glasses made of?

EXCERCISE BANDS!!!!! Never in my wildest imagination would I have thought of bringing those, and I would have been too exhausted to even think of using them.

I am very protective of my eyes. For a 66 year old guy I need no corrective lenses or operation yet.
The Sunglasses of my choice has and is "Serengeti" purchased at Wal-Mart for about $120 I think.
I have used this brand for 25 years. They self correct for a wide range of light intensity. I use a band to keep them in place tightly.

Rubber Bands are light to carry. I need them to do Upper Body exercise every Morning and Evening. Such a tour is hard on the neck, arms and shoulders. This type of exercise I learned in Therapy after an injury. It works very well and I will continue doing it as long as I live.

rae 05-19-08 01:40 PM

Greatly appreciate your posts. I feel also with the need to challenge endurance, and learned from your experience. Maybe someday! Please keep posting nuggets as you think of them.

Congratulations & thanks.

will dehne 05-20-08 12:15 PM

[IMG]http://images.photo.walgreens.com/23...5%3E977%3E596%[/IMG]Here are a few pictures to close out this thread. Sandra and I biked together on most days and it may be fitting to give credit to this remarkable women.

http://images.photo.walgreens.com/23...A%3A5%3Bnu0mrj

http://images.photo.walgreens.com/23...9%3B6676nu0mrj

http://images.photo.walgreens.com/23...3B5%3C65nu0mrj

will dehne 05-20-08 03:04 PM

Synthetic food supplements
I have used Enervitene and Gu-Gel with some concern what they may do to me. I can report that there were only mild repercussions. I noticed bad breath and constipation after heavy use. Not just me but also other users.
On the positive side I observed a clear energy increase. As stated before, breakfast and SAG food is not of high quality nor is it a source of quick energy. I used one substitute per hour and that powered me for that hour at speeds above 20 MPH on flat with light headwind and Solo.

I will stop using this stuff after this tour but may use it on occasion to race someone.

will dehne 05-20-08 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rae (Post 6722753)
Greatly appreciate your posts. I feel also with the need to challenge endurance, and learned from your experience. Maybe someday! Please keep posting nuggets as you think of them.

Congratulations & thanks.

The attractive feature of this type of tour is the range of options it gives you. I did not stress that point but upon reflection perhaps I should.
You pay a lot of money for this type of tour. that means that within reasons you can choose your pace. There is a world of difference if you do 100 miles in 5 hours or 8 hours. Either is acceptable. Your competitive spirit and condition will determine what you do and not the Tour Operator.

I created pressure on my selves by training very hard and pairing up with a strong much younger biker. That is not necessary for others to follow. But I had a ball and now I am a weary traveler glad to be home.

Kurt Erlenbach 05-20-08 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by will dehne (Post 6720891)
A tour member by the name of Paul has a blog with that information. I hope he does not mind that I copied his information here:

Day date Location Miles total Actual Miles Actual Total Speed Time Ascent (ft) Decent (ft)

Averages 116.85 16.90 6:55 4520.4 4536.12
Totals 2921.35 miles 7d4h49m 113,010 feet 113,403 feet

http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~pauld/castanza/bikeTrip/

To put these number in context, in 2006 the Tour de France was 2272 miles, and the winner spent 89 hours, 39 minutes on the bike. These riders went 2921 miles over 172 hours. I am extremely impressed.

will dehne 05-20-08 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by gregam (Post 6715791)
Congratulations, Will, you are truly an inspiration to us all. :thumb:

I am interested in what brand brake pads you used and how often you replaced them?
Also, after all is said and done, what did you find to be the best supplements for you? Did you stick to the same products every day or did you select them based upon what you thought the days ride would be like?

Again, thanks for your postings, I couldn't wait to read what you experienced each day, you made me want to do more and be a better rider.

I just noticed that I failed to answer your questions.
The brake pads are original equipment Bontrager as they came with the Trek Madone 5.2. I had no brake problems which is a miracle and I thank Bontrager for good work. My LBS put new ones on before the tour and that was it.

I stuck with the same supplements Enervitine plus Gu Gel plus Recovery drink as stated above. There is no doubt in my mind that they work and I had little if any problems using them.
It does affect digestion but nothing I could not handle. Perhaps I should report that I ate lots of solid food and lots of water. I was afraid of the stuff.

will dehne 05-20-08 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kerlenbach (Post 6730512)
To put these number in context, in 2006 the Tour de France was 2272 miles, and the winner spent 89 hours, 39 minutes on the bike. These riders went 2921 miles over 172 hours. I am extremely impressed.

Yeah, me too.
Paul is a good biker but by no means can he keep up with James, Conrad, Andrew or Tom.
Those guys really can move. Tom had a day of 120 miles with 26.5 MPH average (there was wind from the back).

will dehne 05-20-08 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 6718283)
:beer:

Congratulations! I've enjoyed your reports and look forward to the picutres.

How soon will you be doing the next one:)

I think that the most improved biker of this tour is a women.

My wife will not let me go again until some grass has grown over the issues encountered. She was scared for me and I do not blame her. There is lots of opportunity for accidents. We older bikers should realize that our reaction time may not be a swift as the younger ones. That is OK if you slow a bit but not so good if you try to compete as I did. And my wife knows me.

George 05-20-08 04:50 PM

Hey Will, did you check your vitals out before the trip and after?

will dehne 05-20-08 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by George (Post 6730697)
Hey Will, did you check your vitals out before the trip and after?

Yeah, 190# as I was leaving and 189# arriving.
Lost some inches around the belt line and upper body but must have put on muscle weight in the legs.:(

Yen 05-20-08 10:36 PM

Iron Will, Hubby read this report in its entirety for the first time today and is just amazed. Have you considered copying/pasting your entries into your own journal? Or do you do this sort of thing often enough that you don't care to keep a personal journal of it other than the public on-line record?

George 05-21-08 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by will dehne (Post 6731384)
Yeah, 190# as I was leaving and 189# arriving.
Lost some inches around the belt line and upper body but must have put on muscle weight in the legs.:(

Thanks Will, I remember you said you got down to 183 or something like that and I was wondering how skinny to go. I'm 6'2" and I'm down to 192 with a resting HR of 60. Someone told me to stay around 200, but that put me in the out of shape category.:D I'm thinking I should level off somewhere. Is that what happened to you?

will dehne 05-21-08 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by George (Post 6733575)
Thanks Will, I remember you said you got down to 183 or something like that and I was wondering how skinny to go. I'm 6'2" and I'm down to 192 with a resting HR of 60. Someone told me to stay around 200, but that put me in the out of shape category.:D I'm thinking I should level off somewhere. Is that what happened to you?

George,
I think this is an important dialog for us older guys. At 190# and 6'1" bare, you can see my ribcage and there is no belly to speak of. Size 34 pants fit nicely. Upper body could be more muscular but I cannot get going to exercise for that enough. My legs are very muscular of course.

This all means that 190# is a good weight for me. I look healthy and feel health and eat healthy plus indulge in some fun things like wine and cheese.

If I were to go down to 180#, and I have done so about a year ago, I look emaciated and my wife takes offence. She thinks her job is to feed me well. I am not motivated to go there because I am not into racing. If I were, I would have to consider loosing more weight.
All the top bikers on this tour were 140# to at most 160#. Guys with my size/weight ratio were the slow pokes. I did better but in the hills I suffer the consequences.

Life is more than a CC Tour. The most important thing is find balance to be happy.

will dehne 05-21-08 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 6732688)
Iron Will, Hubby read this report in its entirety for the first time today and is just amazed. Have you considered copying/pasting your entries into your own journal? Or do you do this sort of thing often enough that you don't care to keep a personal journal of it other than the public on-line record?

Yen,
I like this public on line record. It keeps me straight with facts. There is feedback I would not have otherwise. This record is open to anyone who wishes to read it and I share this web address with all my friends and contacts. I also use my name for that reason.

This CC tour is important to me but there are other events much more important.
My wife and I were born and raised in WW2 Germany. From those terrible beginnings we landed on our feet in these USA. A journal of that journey would make a very interesting reading and it has been suggested that we do that. That was an endurance race also. Just much more difficult.

Perhaps, if you and others understand that background, you will also understand the desire to do this CC tour?

George 05-21-08 11:15 AM

Thanks again Will. I've been reading a lot about body fat and I start working on some of the charts they make up, for where you should be. They are saying my body weight should be about 183, my God if I got that low I think I would look like a skeleton. When I got out of service I was 183, 45 years ago, but I think when your that young you could carry it better.

By the way, I don't know what kind of computer you use, but I just got back from a ride and every time I got over 30 down hill the Cat Eye Strada would go blank. I don't know if you had that problem or not. Anyway, I just called Cat Eye up and they are sending a new head.

Well it's all done now and you'll have something to look back on for the rest of your life. A job well done. Thanks again.