Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 04-26-08, 07:05 AM   #1
jmel7771

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sizing question regarding seat post

Is it common practice to turn the seat post 180 degrees so that you can move the seat forward and still keep the seat rails in the correct position in the clamp? If this is done to get the rider in the correct position over the crank, does this mean that the frame is possibly one size to large? Or is this an acceptable practice?
jmel7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 07:31 AM   #2
big john

Bikes:
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
I've not seen this done, and I think most seatposts wouldn't allow the seat to be in the right position once turned around because of the seat tube angle. But if it works for you?? You can buy a zero offset post, which brings the saddle forward. What do you mean "the correct position over the crank"?
big john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 08:34 AM   #3
jmel7771

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by big john View Post
I've not seen this done, and I think most seatposts wouldn't allow the seat to be in the right position once turned around because of the seat tube angle. But if it works for you?? You can buy a zero offset post, which brings the saddle forward. What do you mean "the correct position over the crank"?
When my LBS did a correct fitting of the bike, they said that my seat needed to come forward. To accomplish this, they rotated the seat post (it was a 25mm offset) so the seat was clamped correctly (not to far back in the clamp). Otherwise, the seat would have to be clamped at the very back of the rail and it is beyond the "stop" mark on the rail
jmel7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 09:19 AM   #4
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2
I've done this on mine and the results were a greatly improved riding comfort and increased performance...YMMV, but it works for me. I believe I may be on a size too big for me as well. When I bought it from my LBS and it being mt first road bike all seemed well until I really started looking at other bikes and positions. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam riding a 56cm. I think I will look more closely at a 54cm when I go CF.
Metric Man is offline   Reply With Quote