Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

missed the target.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

missed the target.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 09:30 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
missed the target.

There is a local 40 mile charity ride that I do each year and it is for all sorts of riders. Right from top club racers down to 12 year old kids on BMx's and family groups. The families and young kids do a 25 miler that is incorporated into the ride. I have done it for the last 3 years on the Tandem so I have a time of 2 hours 30 minutes for the ride from the Tandem. The course is fairly flat- which suits the Tandem perfectly- with just one hill for about mile 15 to 20 with the worst gradient being about 10%. That is where the Tandem does not excell so Hence my thought that I could match the time.

There was a threat of rain so I took the TCR as that is the bike I am more familiar with at present- and it was fully checked over after last weeks ride. Started at 9pm just behind a bunch of 6 roadies. Caught them as they warmed up and realised that there is a lot to this drafting lark. I had to work hard to catch them but once in the pace line- I was hardly pedalling. I did warn them I was in for the ride and they let me stay. First check point at 6 miles and I shot off as they fuelled up. They caught me before the 2nd checkpoint and that is when I realised the advantage of drafting again. They came past me at 2 mph faster than me but once in the line again- I was taking a few coasting spots. 2nd checkpoint and I was off immediately again and off up that hill to the third checkpoint at Herstmoncieux Castle. Made the Castle on time for the target and the next bit was across the Marshes. Very flat- very exposed- very twisty and what I realised was going to be my downfall- very windy. That wind took me well below the average I wanted to set up and I could not wait to get back to the coast and just get a sidewind. Got in with another older rider on a very nice Cervello and we just pushed the best out of each other. Got back to the finish and I had finished in 2 hours 35 minutes- 5 minutes over my target time. Bummer.

The ride was fantastic. Lots of riders of all types out there And if I had not concentrated on the ride- There would have been lots of good scenery to look at it. No camera taken on the ride but I have a few from last year for you to look at. Just face it- Castles don't change much from year to year. What I am more pleased about though is that this is the first serious ride of the year- and I did manage to push myself for the whole of the ride. No slacking- and although the average of just just under 16mph may not seem fast- It is for this ride. My time was the 11th fastest of the day- But I am very happy on one thing. That group of roadies I was with at the start. Two of them did pass me but The other 4 were a good 20 minutes later than me. And you should have seen the condition they were in. They did not look as though they had done a comfortable ride.

Edit- and worth noting--Lost 3.5 lbs in the day- and That is after a bacon Sarnie after the ride and a late lunch when I got home
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hastings1.jpg (45.1 KB, 7 views)
hastings4.jpg (15.2 KB, 4 views)
hastings6.jpg (39.7 KB, 6 views)

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 04-27-08 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-27-08, 10:03 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That castle looks just like it did last year.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay