Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 04-26-08, 11:03 PM   #1
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Keeping the water COLD...

As the weather heats up, so does the water in my water bottles. I'm going to start keeping a bottle in the freezer half full of water so it becomes ice and then topping it off before the ride, and I'm wondering if there is a better alternative. I think I remember some talk about a water bottle with a lining, but then it would hold less, no?

Any suggestions?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 11:05 PM   #2
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why worry about liners and stuff when a 1/2 bottle in the freezer will do the job just fine. And as you say you'll get the max volume that way. Unless it's an all day outing the 1/2 or 1/3 bottle of ice should do the trick for as long as you need it.
BCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 11:18 PM   #3
Velo Dog

Bikes:
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Freezing half is the best method I've found. I bought two allegedly insulated water bottles (Polar brand, i think) from REI last year, for about twice what an ordinary bottle costs, but they were disappointing. After half an hour to 40 minutes, the difference in temp between them and a regular bottle was barely discernible.
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 11:24 PM   #4
Louis

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did that freezer/bottle trick for quite some time, it works about as well as anything else out there for $$. Finally I just got used to drinking warm water. Plain and simple, no hassle, and the water still hydrates you the same as if it were cold. I know a mouthfull of cold water on a hot day is very refreshing, but the feeling is so fleeting, it's hardly worth the hassle of trying to keep it cold. It works for me,YMMV.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 11:42 PM   #5
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have two plastic water boxes that I fill from the tap with a Brita filter. I stick one in the refrigerator while the other one dries out, so I always have cold water for my water bottles.

The water boxes have a spigot and hold about 2 gallons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 12:04 AM   #6
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I did that freezer/bottle trick for quite some time, it works about as well as anything else out there for $$. Finally I just got used to drinking warm water. Plain and simple, no hassle, and the water still hydrates you the same as if it were cold. I know a mouthfull of cold water on a hot day is very refreshing, but the feeling is so fleeting, it's hardly worth the hassle of trying to keep it cold. It works for me,YMMV.
That doesn't work at temperatures over 98 degrees. When it's hot out and your water is at over 98 degrees, each drink you take heats you up further. At temps above 107, you could kill yourself that way. For real heat, it pays to have at least cool water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 01:16 AM   #7
Rowan

Bikes:
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Put the bottle into a kid's cotton sock (new) and soak the sock in water. Ride. The wind over the water will evaporate it and cool it. Better if the contents are cold (as in half frozen and topped off). You should have finished the bottle by the time the water has evaporated and the sock is dry.

I ride with 900ml Zefal wide-mouth bottles and have used this method for a long time. It works.

If after 40 minutes to an hour, the contents of an insulated bottle are "warm", then you aren't drinking enough anyway for the ambient temps.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 01:41 AM   #8
dahoss2002

Bikes: 70's Motobecane, 89 Centurion Ironman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
That doesn't work at temperatures over 98 degrees. When it's hot out and your water is at over 98 degrees, each drink you take heats you up further. At temps above 107, you could kill yourself that way. For real heat, it pays to have at least cool water.
Actually your body spends more energy heating cold water although I'll agree cold water seems to be more refreshing and taste better. The coffee I drink is always way hotter than 107 even in the summer and it hasnt killed anyone that Ive heard of.
dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 04:26 AM   #9
jibi
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
cold water slows down digestion,

do like the orientals, they have hot tea with meals, and drink it warm.

http://tastyresearch.wordpress.com/2...-on-hydration/

The effect of cold water is just a perception.

In the temperatures here in South East Asia liquids from the chiller cabinet are warm after 30 mins.

Drinking 10, or should that be 20, bottles during a 10 hour ride would only make me go to the toilet more.

george

ps I still love to have a cool drink now and then.
jibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 06:00 AM   #10
dendawg

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
For a long ride on a warm or hot day I mix 2 bottles of an electrolyte / energy drink, and carry a small hydration pack. I fill the pack half with ice and half with water.
dendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 06:16 AM   #11
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 6032 Post(s)
Bicycle Butler.........in SAG wagon.........with lunch............
Old 04-27-08, 06:25 AM   #12
dendawg

Bikes:
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Another option is planning routes with rest stops. There are outdoor cafes on the greenway along the Hudson here in NYC. There are also convenience stores and deli's along many of the roads out in the suburbs.
dendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 06:28 AM   #13
staehpj1 

Bikes:
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
After many 100+ degree days on a cross country tour last summer, I am used to drinking warm water as long as it is decent tasting water. Some of the water in Wyoming was hard to choke down even when ice cold and we were reduced to buying bottled water when passing through there.

I do fill bottles with ice at convenience stores when on tour if it is hot out, but the water is usually pretty warm by the time I am halfway through the first bottle anyway.

Around home I just fill the bottles with tap water and usually don't bother with ice.
staehpj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 06:44 AM   #14
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
I tried putting the bladder of my hydration pack in the freezer (1/2 full) but the lid was frozen shut and I had a devil of a time getting it open so I could fill it the rest of the way. This was for a century. I had cold water up to the first rest stop (about 2 hrs). Next time I will make sure the top is elevated.

The wet sock idea sounds like a great idea particularly if you are in a dry climate. Great thing about this community, you get clever little ideas like that all the time.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 06:51 AM   #15
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Bicycle Butler.........in SAG wagon.........with lunch............
Usually Houseboy follows me in the limo, handing out snacks and drinks as needed, and his picnic lunches are simply heaven. They have an elegant simplicity that adds to the rustic charm of the local countryside.

On his day off, I carry one or two of these:

http://www.polarbottle.com/
Old 04-27-08, 07:05 AM   #16
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
When I saw the title I thought it was going to be more info on DG's new flame..........how disappointing to find out it's about water bottles.
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 07:50 AM   #17
jibi
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
The wet sock idea sounds like a great idea particularly if you are in a dry climate. Great thing about this community, you get clever little ideas like that all the time.
It all depends on how dry. In deserts all the water I carry is for drinking or cooking.

I suppose I could pee on a sock, if I had more than 2 socks!!

There are no rest stops or sag wagons.

Quote:
Another option is planning routes with rest stops. There are outdoor cafes on the greenway along the Hudson here in NYC. There are also convenience stores and deli's along many of the roads out in the suburbs.
I would love to find a convenience store, and a deli. Now I will dream of hams and cheese for days!!!!

Water is water, if you are thirsty just drink it.

george
jibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 08:05 AM   #18
Kurt Erlenbach

Bikes:
What's with this freezing only half a bottle? For any ride from March to November, around here you freeze the whole thing, and you have a nice cold drink for about an hour.
Kurt Erlenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 08:07 AM   #19
late

Bikes:
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 4804 Post(s)
Use panniers, do the freezer thing, wrap the bottle in a towel and throw it in the pannier. It'll stay cool for hours.
late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 08:33 AM   #20
Rumblejohn

Bikes: Raleigh Passage 3.5
I used to use the insulated bottles until I noticed a crack in the inner lining. The contents (water gatorade mix) leaked into the insulation, If I were to drink after that I would be drinking liquid that had soaked in the foam padding for days or weeks. Yes, you can take it apart and clean it, but who does, I usually just throw them in the dishwasher. I just freeze two bottles, that holds up for the hour or so that I get to ride.

John
Rumblejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 08:37 AM   #21
t-star

Bikes:
that's the trick we used to do in nam- soak the canteen cover in the river, -the flannel inside keeps the canteen cool- made for a lot of weight initally, though
t-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 09:26 AM   #22
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
Sounds like a good idea, DG. Filling to the top with cool water would give you something to drink until the ice melts.

I've also heard that cold water doesn't hydrate the body any more efficiently than cold water, that water is water. I don't know about that, but cold water sure does make me feel cooler.

For rides on hot days, I'm planning to use a bandana soaked in water then folded into a small size and placed in a small ziploc bag in the freezer..... when I start to get hot, take it out and wrap it around my neck. I've done that while gardening and it keeps me much cooler for a couple of hours.
Old 04-27-08, 10:19 AM   #23
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Come on- You ride in San Diego. If you can't find a bar on every corner to sell you a "coldie"- then you are not looking hard enough.

That freezing of half a bottleworks- and so does the wet sock round the bottle. But I am afraid that I am Not too bothered about drinking warmish water. Now Warm beer is another matter.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 10:20 AM   #24
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Come on- You ride in San Diego. If you can't find a bar on every corner to sell you a "coldie"- then you are not looking hard enough.

That freezing of half a bottleworks- and so does the wet sock round the bottle. But I am afraid that I am Not too bothered about drinking warmish water. Now Warm beer is another matter.
Yeah, but stopping at the bar or convenience store means walking around like a duck. Or it would, if I had clipless pedals!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 10:53 AM   #25
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
Hey, how hot does it really get in SD anyway?