Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 04-27-08, 01:02 AM   #1
SmackDab
Omaha Area Trails

Bikes: Cannondale Tandem,Trek Navigator
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
6 Miles and 3 Pictures

Last week's three mile ride left us a bit bushed. Irregardless, we decided to try to improve our distance this time, and trail selection really did make a difference. We opted for something fairly flat and straight, and tried a section of the Bellevue Loop, near Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska.

Bellevue Loop

Nothing fancy about the scenery along this trail, but it was almost perfect for our second bike ride together. I suppose it was an old railroad track at one time. It was elevated and about the right width. Not too crowded, but there were a few people out biking and walking. Comforting to know they are there, just in case.

We really had no goal when we began our ride other than to equal or beat last weekend's 3 mile ride. We sort of thought 4 miles would be fine, but that became 5 miles, and that became 6 miles (3 miles each way). I suppose that was about right for us this time. The distance was enough to give our muscles a workout, tire us out, but not enough to make us doubt our sanity at riding a bike at 50 plus years of age.

Bellevue Loop Trail Break

We stopped every now and then for pictures, it's nice to have some sort of record of the places we've been and the things we've done. That's me at the Missouri River Road crossing. My wife wanted to bring her camera, but decided to just borrow mine when she took pictures this time.

Trail's End (and beginning)

Another photo, this one taken after our ride was completed, and a short coast downhill to the parking lot. Vicky did quite well, though she tended to want to go faster than I hoped she would, after all she is pretty much a beginning biker and her 3 wheeler feels a little weird at faster speeds (to me at least).

If you want to read even more about this ride, I got a little carried away writing about it on our Bike Rider's Journal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bellevue_loop_trail_straight_and_simple.jpg (36.7 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg bellevue_loop_trail_heading_back.jpg (43.4 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg bellevue_loop_trail_end.jpg (46.3 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by SmackDab; 04-27-08 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Spelling Error in Title
SmackDab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 05:19 AM   #2
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 5921 Post(s)
It is amazing how much there is to see during a ride. Even relatively "plain" scenery changes with the seasons. My more or less regular ride is haunted by a photographer who does books on the trail. His opinion is that he can find something new every single day that he walks the trail.

Your going to enjoy this biking thing....
Old 04-27-08, 09:20 AM   #3
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Sounds like a great second time out. Like maddmaxx said, you're going to love
biking. The best part is you're doing it together

Happy Trails
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 02:10 PM   #4
Jim J

Bikes: Trek 730 & Trek 5200
SmackDab,

Congrats on your new-found form of exercise. Fun...ain't it?

Been down that trail many many times. I know the exact places you showed us with your pixs. Kinda neat seeing something on here that's so familiar! Thanks for sharring!

I get on the trail at Grover Street and head south. If I go to the trailhead at Hayworth Park and back it's a 40 mile trip....all with no cars or crossings to have to be concerned with. Love that Keystone Trail!

Keep us posted!

Jim J
Omaha
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 02:25 PM   #5
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2 newbies out on new bikes and enjoying it. Great . Even better is the fact you are wearing helmets and eye protection. Before you know it - it will cycling fingerless gloves- and Lycra.

Watch out- this cycling will damage your wallet.

So how was the doubling of milage? Any more tiring than last week? And have you found the muscles you never knew you had yet?

Well done.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 08:45 PM   #6
SmackDab
Omaha Area Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim J View Post
SmackDab,

Congrats on your new-found form of exercise. Fun...ain't it?

Been down that trail many many times. I know the exact places you showed us with your pixs. Kinda neat seeing something on here that's so familiar! Thanks for sharring!

I get on the trail at Grover Street and head south. If I go to the trailhead at Hayworth Park and back it's a 40 mile trip....all with no cars or crossings to have to be concerned with. Love that Keystone Trail!

Keep us posted!

Jim J
Omaha
Yes, it is great. One of the best parts is getting the bikes unloaded at the trail, looking at what lies ahead of us, and then taking off down a brand new trail.

Omaha, so many trails! We'll have to check out the Keystone Trail, but my wife wants our next trip to be back to the Bellevue Loop. We both liked it.
Old 04-27-08, 09:00 PM   #7
SmackDab
Omaha Area Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
2 newbies out on new bikes and enjoying it. Great . Even better is the fact you are wearing helmets and eye protection. Before you know it - it will cycling fingerless gloves- and Lycra.

Watch out- this cycling will damage your wallet.

So how was the doubling of milage? Any more tiring than last week? And have you found the muscles you never knew you had yet?

Well done.
How was the doubling of mileage for us? That 6 miler required less effort than the three miler, but more stamina. The first (3 mile ride) involved more hills than we were ready for. The 6 miler was almost flat! That made a big difference. The two rides were pretty much alike in how wore out we were afterwards.

We've reawakened muscles that haven't been used much for years. They were so peacefully sleeping, and tend to complain about being used for about a day after our rides.

I mentioned to my wife that we need to double our mileage every time we go out, and next time do 12, then 24, then 48, then 96 miles...

Perhaps we should try to think of yesterday's ride as exceeding our previous ride by three miles, then we would try for 9 next time, then 12, etc.

Thanks
Old 04-27-08, 09:08 PM   #8
SmackDab
Omaha Area Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
Sounds like a great second time out. Like maddmaxx said, you're going to love
biking. The best part is you're doing it together

Happy Trails
Yes, we are not only married, but we are best friends, and enjoy getting out and doing things together.
Old 04-27-08, 09:15 PM   #9
SmackDab
Omaha Area Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
It is amazing how much there is to see during a ride. Even relatively "plain" scenery changes with the seasons. My more or less regular ride is haunted by a photographer who does books on the trail. His opinion is that he can find something new every single day that he walks the trail.

Your going to enjoy this biking thing....
Yes, and we are looking forward to a ride on the trail when the corn is growing.

If only the trails included a bench every couple miles to sit down and admire the scenery. I must remember the trails are made for walking and riding, not for sitting and looking.
Old 04-27-08, 09:22 PM   #10
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Throw a foldable chair in the back of the 3 wheeler.

It won't be long until that 25 miler.

Isn't it fun?

My wife (70 years old) and I just hopped on our bikes after church today, and rode 3.5 miles to McD's for lunch and 3.5 miles back.

Not a very long trip, but a couple of hills and a lot of fun. We live right on 40 miles of trail, and our trails go right by a lot of places like McD.

Tomorrow, a friend and I will likely do 25-30 miles. He is 72 years old.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 08:43 AM   #11
Jim J

Bikes: Trek 730 & Trek 5200
(QUOTE)If only the trails included a bench every couple miles to sit down and admire the scenery. I must remember the trails are made for walking and riding, not for sitting and looking.[/QUOTE]

Lots of benches on the Keystone portion of the trail. It is kinda funny to sometimes see people sitting on the benches, bikes on the kickstands, smoking cigarettes! Makes a lot of sense!!!

Jim J
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote