Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

another 60 mile ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

another 60 mile ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 09:31 PM

Bikes: Raleigh SC30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
another 60 mile ride

Well it shows being a 61 mile ride on mapmyride...
If that is the case then it was my longest ride by one mile.

Yesterday the weather was awful but today it turned out nice so I called my buddy to see if he wanted to go. We decided on about the same route we did 2 weeks ago with our first group ride. I have to say it was a little harder today, not sure if it was because we didn't have the extra people or because of the wind.

I hate it when you have to pedal downhill because of the wind specially after just doing a long hill climb.

It ended up being a good day, we are both sore, but I figure I need to keep riding to get ready for the century in one month.

I hope this works, here is the elevation map of our trip today.

Old 04-27-08, 09:38 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Good on ya. Keep it up and the century will be no prob.
I meant to go about 30 miles today, but the rain held off and I got 45.
Old 04-27-08, 09:45 PM

Bikes: Raleigh SC30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Good on ya. Keep it up and the century will be no prob.
I meant to go about 30 miles today, but the rain held off and I got 45.
It's always good to put in more miles then what you were expecting to do, makes you feel good.
Old 04-27-08, 09:52 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by w2brdbkr
It's always good to put in more miles then what you were expecting to do, makes you feel good.
Actually it made me feel sore, as new job and long ski season have reduced my spring mileage. But it was the good kind of sore.
Old 04-28-08, 01:56 PM
I'm no newbie!

Bikes: Trek 5500, Fixie(1986 Gitane), 3Rensho campy(1982), Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 720(trainer), Trek 530(cross)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm working toward a century in May and put in 62 yesterday. Only I did it on my touring bike which weighs considerably more than the roadie. The wind beat me up but it was mostly a tailwind home. Keep at it.
Old 04-28-08, 02:15 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I rode the Wildflower Century on Sat., 107 miles and we didn't get lunch until mile 71.5. No worries though, since they had food-and-drink equipped checkpoints at mile 27 and mile 55.

Only 6,500 feet of climbing, with no really long climbs but up and down all day. Some we spin up, some we attack, but it's all good fun!

Your 60 mile rides should be excellent training for your century; much like my centuries are good training for doubles!

Rick / OCRR
Old 04-28-08, 02:25 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
I rode the Wildflower Century on Sat., 107 miles and we didn't get lunch until mile 71.5. No worries though, since they had food-and-drink equipped checkpoints at mile 27 and mile 55.

Only 6,500 feet of climbing, with no really long climbs but up and down all day. Some we spin up, some we attack, but it's all good fun!

Your 60 mile rides should be excellent training for your century; much like my centuries are good training for doubles!

Rick / OCRR
Sorry to butt in Rick- But I was going to say the same. A 100 mile ride is an achievement and in my mind- it is pointless doing a 100 mile ride to train for a 100 mile ride. If you do that- you have done it.

60 miles but with some stiff hills- or 60 miles at your 30 mile pace will be enough training. When I was training for the 100 miler that I used to do- we did 30 miles taking in two of the stiffest hills we have in the area- a long drag that always gets us and some technical trails to get concentration going. When we could do that 30 miles in 2 1/2 hours- we were ready. That put us at 12mph average--3 mph faster than we would do the ride in.

Spike Milligan