Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Commute home (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/412808-commute-home.html)

w2brdbkr 04-29-08 06:07 PM

Commute home

I've been trying to ride my bike as often as I can the 25 miles home from work. The few times (3-4 times) I have ridden home I've averaged 18.3 to 18.7 but today I decided since the weather isn't going to be very nice the next couple of days & I won't ride my bike I pushed myself a little harder.

I was feeling good & I felt like I was doing better then the other times. When I got home I checked it out & my average speed today was 20.6 I am very happy. If there was any wind it was at my back so that helped some, but my legs are telling me it wasn't just the wind. :D

I have no idea what is good or bad, there are a few hills & uphills but nothing really hard. Now my legs have a couple of days to rest.

I also turned over 700 miles on the ride to work this morning. I car pool with the wife then ride the 7 miles to my work.

conurejade 04-29-08 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by w2brdbkr (Post 6607487)
I have no idea what is good or bad, there are a few hills & uphills but nothing really hard. Now my legs have a couple of days to rest.

Congrats!!!

'Good' is a very relative term. I remember (not so long ago, as a matter of fact) when just being able to complete my 6.5 mile commute was 'good' - never mind at what speed. :p

CB HI 04-29-08 07:10 PM

Is that 20.6 mph rolling time only or does it include the stopped time at lights and stop signs?

Still a good time if rolling time only; very very good average if it is total time.

Kurt Erlenbach 04-29-08 07:25 PM

Top notch time. I get that average only if I've got a good tailwind.

w2brdbkr 04-29-08 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by CB HI (Post 6607893)
Is that 20.6 mph rolling time only or does it include the stopped time at lights and stop signs?

Still a good time if rolling time only; very very good average if it is total time.

stop times? I just slow down at the stop signs & try VERY HARD not to have to stop at a light. :D
The route I take is kind of in the country so there is only a few stop signs (that I just slow down at except one in a small town or should I say gas station & grocery store) & there is only one light that I really try not stopping at. I have been lucky enough to time it so I am at the light when it changes or it has changed.

I am new at bike riding, in fact this is my first year so I have no idea what is good or bad. I have noticed in the two months that I've been riding that I don't have to use my smallest front ring much anymore, just on the nasty hills, so something is happening. ;)

Wildwood 04-29-08 08:29 PM

I'd say 20+ mph for a 25 mile commute is WAAAY good. If you've only been riding for a year, you probably can train-up to achieve much more if that's a goal. Be sure you have your computer set for the right tire size/roll-out.

CB HI 04-30-08 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by w2brdbkr (Post 6608349)
stop times?

Many new cycle computers do not average in the time that you are at a complete stop. So if you ride 20 miles in an hour by your wrist watch, then your overall average speed is 20 mph. But if your cycle computer does not average in the time you are stopped and you have several stops, then it may read 25 mph as your average speed for the same ride.