Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OT: Iron Man great fun!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-08, 05:54 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We just got back from Iron Man. It's very exciting, some violence, but best of all, it's got some humor. I give it a thumbs-up for a fun ride. Even the critics like it.

And for those of you who are really tired of Hollywood raking America through the coals as I am, it's a bit more nuanced than it first appears. Enough for me not to want to walk out, anyway.
Old 05-04-08, 05:58 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by TruF
We just got back from Iron Man. It's very exciting, some violence, but best of all, it's got some humor. I give it a thumbs-up for a fun ride. Even the critics like it.

And for those of you who are really tired of Hollywood raking America through the coals as I am, it's a bit more nuanced than it first appears. Enough for me not to want to walk out, anyway.
I didn't expect that!
Old 05-04-08, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
It was a lot of fun, wasn't it? I'd never have imagined Robert Downey Jr as a superhero.. but it works. Disagree with the politics, but we can save that for another day. I am hoping we get a sequel, and soon.
Old 05-04-08, 06:06 PM
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by late
It was a lot of fun, wasn't it? I'd never have imagined Robert Downey Jr as a superhero.. but it works. Disagree with the politics, but we can save that for another day. I am hoping we get a sequel, and soon.
Ditto about the politics, but worth it IMHO. Definitely a sequel! Robert Downey Jr is wonderful, and there's lots to work with. Which gorgeous woman will he choose? Who is that government official who intervenes on his behalf? Who's the next bad guy?
Old 05-04-08, 06:14 PM

Ditto about the politics, but worth it IMHO. Definitely a sequel! Robert Downey Jr is wonderful, and there's lots to work with. Which gorgeous woman will he choose? Who is that government official who intervenes on his behalf? Who's the next bad guy?
I thought picking Afghanistan was too easy and in bad taste. But I am a sucker for a good popcorn movie, and this one had already won me over. They are obviously going to play the platonic relationship out, expect romance in the 3rd or 4th.

I expect the terrorist, the guy with the hawk nose that should have died three times... will be back. I would just bet he cuts a deal with the Russians to make several
copies of the first Iron suit which Iron Man then has to fight. In the process of dealing with that, there will be the inevitable love interest which will complicate matters with MoneyPenny, I mean Tess Goodheart, I mean....

SHIELD will prob play a larger role in the sequel.
Old 05-04-08, 06:26 PM
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crap! One of the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes says:

Something that everyone needs to know before they set foot in the theater: STAY AFTER THE CLOSING CREDITS. BEST BONUS SCENE EVER.
Did you stay for the entire closing credits? We didn't. Guess we'll have to see it again!
Old 05-04-08, 06:27 PM

That is wonderfully sneaky.
Old 05-04-08, 06:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to see it. I will see it but as a 50-plusser who grew up a HUGE Marvel fan -my best friend and I used to play super heroes. Well, he did; I was always the villain- I'm always at least a little disappointed with the liberties Hollywood seems to feel it needs to take. I usually enjoy the movies but come away just remembering all the things they get wrong. I mean, Afghanistan? It was Viet Nam and he created the iron suit to keep his heart beating after he took shrapnel from a booby trap. I guess they felt the need to modernize and all but what's wrong with doing it as a period piece and be true to the character? I'll have to see it alone, though; Mrs S just ain't interested
Old 05-04-08, 07:22 PM
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does Mrs S know it's Robert Downey Jr in the starring role?
Old 05-04-08, 11:10 PM
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Crap! One of the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes says:

Did you stay for the entire closing credits? We didn't. Guess we'll have to see it again!
Nick Fury, (director of SHIELD, played by Samuel L Jackson,) talks to Tony about developing a team called "The Avengers." ^^^Spoiler for closing credits posted in white.
Old 05-04-08, 11:13 PM
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
I want to see it. I will see it but as a 50-plusser who grew up a HUGE Marvel fan -my best friend and I used to play super heroes. Well, he did; I was always the villain- I'm always at least a little disappointed with the liberties Hollywood seems to feel it needs to take. I usually enjoy the movies but come away just remembering all the things they get wrong. I mean, Afghanistan? It was Viet Nam and he created the iron suit to keep his heart beating after he took shrapnel from a booby trap. I guess they felt the need to modernize and all but what's wrong with doing it as a period piece and be true to the character? I'll have to see it alone, though; Mrs S just ain't interested
Blame Marvel Comics, they have updated which war it was supposed to be several times, for continuity's sake. No one wants to see a hero take a break from fighting Doctor Doom for a bran muffin and some Geritol.