Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Iowa Riverfront Trail 3 Pictures (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/414680-iowa-riverfront-trail-3-pictures.html)

SmackDab 05-04-08 09:51 PM

Iowa Riverfront Trail 3 Pictures

3 Attachment(s)
My wife and I did our 3rd ride today. We beat last weekends ride by 1/2 mile or so, that means we did 6 1/2 miles today.

We were undecided as to which trail to try, and didn't make up our mind whether to try a Nebraska or Iowa trail till about 1/8th mile ahead of the turnoff that determined what state we would ride in, and at that time we decided the Iowa Riverfront Trail would be our choice. We'd walked a bit of it one day last year till it began to rain, and we wanted to see more of it.

I suppose it would qualify as an easy trail, it had a few slopes, but nothing my wife couldn't conquer on her single speed 20" three wheeler. She does wish now that she had a lower gear for the hills, but does well anyhow.

We planned on turning around at a place called Roberts Park, but were disappointed to discover the trail ended and became a part of the road for the final portion of the ride to the park, so turned back. After today's ride my wife only has a bit over 15 miles bike riding experience, and isn't ready to share the road with cars yet.

Part of our ride on the Iowa Riverfront Trail was near the interstate, that's the Omaha skyline in the distance, and my Schwinn Jaguar parked along the right.

Here is another picture of the trail. The Missouri River is off to the right, unseen in either of the two pictures above.

We discovered the pedestrian bridge between Omaha and Council Bluffs is further along than expected, and had to stop for a picture of it. This bridge will be 3,000 feet long, and 52 feet above the Missouri River. The bridge is supposed to cost $22 million, and there is a bit of controversy of the need for such a bridge at that price, and it is tax dollars at work.

The new pedestrain bridge is visible in this picture, including the main part across the Missouri River. It isn't supposed to open till November of this year, and imagine we will get some use out of it in 2009 once it warms up again.

Today's ride was nice, weather was good, in the 70s most of the time we were riding. It wasn't too crowded. Too many of the rider's that passed us up today seemed unaware of the "On your left" courtesy warning.

We were a bit worn out and had muscle aches after this ride, but guess we can expect that. After returning home I asked my wife whether she preferred to walk or ride the trails, and was pleased to hear her say she like riding better.

stapfam 05-05-08 12:45 AM

Still enjoying riding after 3 rides? Time to get out and look for that 20 speed racer you have always wanted:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Your rides may not be long at present but have to agree that they sound and look enjoyable-

Great ride.

Beverly 05-05-08 06:13 AM

You have some nice trails to ride in your area.

Don't be in a hurry to ride on the road. I've been cycling for quite a few years and some of those drivers still scare me:o They can be very intimidating to a new cyclist.

BSLeVan 05-05-08 06:55 AM

One of the great things about riding is that the more you do it the longer the distances get. And the longer the distances get, the more you get to see. And the more you get to see, the more you want to ride.

swan652 05-05-08 03:17 PM

Nice ride and nice pics. Keep at it.

Pamestique 05-05-08 03:21 PM

WOW what a lovely trail! Thanks for posting the pics!

LynnH 05-05-08 03:53 PM

Wow, if Nebraska's trails are as nice as Iowa's, you have some very good choices, enjoy them!

SabreMan 05-06-08 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by LynnH (Post 6641359)
Wow, if Nebraska's trails are as nice as Iowa's, you have some very good choices, enjoy them!

But Iowa has MANY more miles of trails than Nebraska.:(

Glenn in Omaha