Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My job abolished

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My job abolished

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 03:10 AM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My job abolished

Well, just got word yesterday that my job was abolished as part of a RIF/huge re-org. There were four others in my department also RIF-ed, all of them wonderful people and excellent performers, so at least I've got no reason to take it personally. But "ouch" anyway. And thank goodness it happened before my husband retired. (And after I got my Ruby!)

I've been assigned a talent acquisition person to help me find another job at my company within the next two weeks, if I can. I'm meeting with him today. Not sure that as a 50+ I want to stay in the software industry. Most of the people with whom I work are 30 and early 40-somethings, and I've felt a bit like an oddity over the last couple of years. Got a decent severance package and had a bit of vacation saved up, so I don't have to panic just yet. And the only retirement this company was ever going to give me was my 401K.

So now begins another great adventure! Wish me luck.
Old 04-29-08, 04:39 AM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TruF
Well, just got word yesterday that my job was abolished as part of a RIF/huge re-org. There were four others in my department also RIF-ed, all of them wonderful people and excellent performers, so at least I've got no reason to take it personally. But "ouch" anyway. And thank goodness it happened before my husband retired. (And after I got my Ruby!)

I've been assigned a talent acquisition person to help me find another job at my company within the next two weeks, if I can. I'm meeting with him today. Not sure that as a 50+ I want to stay in the software industry. Most of the people with whom I work are 30 and early 40-somethings, and I've felt a bit like an oddity over the last couple of years. Got a decent severance package and had a bit of vacation saved up, so I don't have to panic just yet. And the only retirement this company was ever going to give me was my 401K.

It always sucks when this happens (at least it did to me 3 years ago when it happened to me), but it did not take long for me to realize that it was a real opportunity. Don't worry about those bad feelings you have now, I promise they will pass very quickly. My wife is a 60+ geek and has the same isues of working with people a generation (or more) younger than she is. They think of her as sort of the Earth Mother and she gets an amazing amount of respect (although never to her face). Clients often ask for her by name to help with projects because of her people skills--something often lacking in your business, as you know.

My revelation was how much more time I had to ride and enjoy stuff. I got in lots more biking (5000 the first year and 8,000+ annually since.

I'm writing all this just to tell you that you ought to think of what has happened as a lucky break and start a whole new plan for life.

Godspeed on your journey and keep us posted on life with Ruby

Tim

Last edited by tlc20010; 04-29-08 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-29-08, 04:55 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, that sucks. As one who has been through it many times, due to the industry I was in, you really have to look at it as an opportunity. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 04-29-08, 05:10 AM

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Congratulations!
Old 04-29-08, 05:11 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Damn, that's too bad. I hope what I'm about to say doesn't sound too polyanna-ish, but you may end up in a much better place than you could have dreamed of. I've seen it happen more than once. Good luck, and keep that adventurous spirit!
Old 04-29-08, 05:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch! Here's wishing you lots of luck in finding employment that is meaningful to you while meeting your financial needs.... and that gives you time to ride.
Old 04-29-08, 06:33 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
This is a good time to evaluate you circumstances and future plans. Many an early retiree was catapulted into that status only to find that it works well. That may depend on how long your husband wants to keep working.
Old 04-29-08, 06:37 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry to hear this, TruF. Often an event like this ends with acquiring a position much better than the one you're leaving.

I'm going through the same thing with my current employer. Fortunately it came at a good time for me as I'm able to take the severance package and retire. Many of the people in my department who will be looking for another job say it won't be in Information Technology. Most of us who have been in this field for 35+ years have serious job burnout.

Maybe this is the time to consider entering another field that interest you. Hope the new job hunt goes well.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-29-08, 06:51 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
Sorry to hear this, TruF. Often an event like this ends with acquiring a position much better than the one you're leaving.

I'm going through the same thing with my current employer. Fortunately it came at a good time for me as I'm able to take the severance package and retire. Many of the people in my department who will be looking for another job say it won't be in Information Technology. Most of us who have been in this field for 35+ years have serious job burnout.

Maybe this is the time to consider entering another field that interest you. Hope the new job hunt goes well.
Opportunity to re-evaluate, and examine all options. Maybe retirement is in order, if not, good luck with the search. Think about it while riding the Ruby, it will put things in perspective.
Old 04-29-08, 07:11 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Good luck in your job search, TruF. At least I would expect that there are a lot of high-tech opportunities in your area vs. where I am here in the Rust Belt, with vehicle sales not exactly booming. You still have some productive years ahead of you, so don't give up hope just yet!

I'm 61 and have been a full-time software developer for 40 years now. I sometimes go back and forth between just being tired of the "same old stuff" all the time, while still enjoying the development process when I can be left alone long enough to do it. But I'm retiring in a few months, so will also have a whole new set of decisions to make as I figure out what I'll be doing for the rest of my life...
Old 04-29-08, 07:39 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Experience in an industry often opens up opportunities to work as a consultant or as a temp. These positions often pay more than the original full time job.

When one door closes..............another opens up.
Old 04-29-08, 07:44 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
There are times I almost wish for a RIF, but I know from the last time the rumors circulated that it is different to actually deal with it.

Good luck in dealing with whatever the future holds for you.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-29-08, 08:31 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
TruF, hang in there, take the summer off and enjoy. I'm 58 and also in the software game, it's pretty scary right now with the economy taking a nose dive. I've already told my wife that if I lose this job, my chances of getting hired somewhere else are slim to none.

I was out of work from 2001 until 2005 and I can't tell you how many places I interviewed hired someone younger with less experience.
Old 04-29-08, 09:31 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
TruF,

Sorry to hear that. It will turn out OK, but I know it will feel pretty disruptive to your plans right now.

I think the fact that you just got your Ruby is just good karma coming through -- if you don't find another job in your current company, your time on the new bike will be the best place to sort out your next steps.

If you're not already on LinkedIn, by the way, give it a try -- at my company we've been using LinkedIn for hiring a fair amount...especially in the IT world it's a good way to network.

BB
Old 04-29-08, 09:41 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Good luck, TruF, this economy is getting a lot of people in a bind right now. I hope something turns up for you. I'm retired and still have to worry about what's going to happen, from one day to the next.
Old 04-29-08, 09:46 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bummer! Very sorry to hear this.

Two weeks? They are giving you only 2 weeks to deal with the loss of your job, the potential change to your life, and to find something else in the company. That is not enough time. Not saying you can't do it in two weeks, or even in two days, but the company should have doubled that time.

Did you have any clue that this was coming?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 04-29-08, 10:41 AM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5465 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
I just got rif'ed and they hired someone younger with much less experience to replace me. They can get away with that in education. I wasn't tenured. Luckily I have found another position, but still I've got to go through the hassle of starting over again.
Old 04-29-08, 10:48 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck, TruF! I'm betting you'll land on your feet.
Old 04-29-08, 11:22 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Good luck. Four years ago I was in a similar situation in CA. A major reduction in force and I discovered that it was hard to be 50 getting hired by 30 year old bosses. Not that I objected, but rather that it didn't happen. I spent 10 months looking.

That's why I now go by Artkansas.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-29-08, 11:54 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
That is a short period to adjust but I guess those that have been told this is your last day felt worse. I hope you find the job of your dreams in whatever environment you choose. You will remain in my prayers during your search.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-29-08, 01:55 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, everyone! Got a couple of leads, but feel really pressured to hurry up and make a decision if a job comes my way. I was thinking last night about taking some time to take a step back and think about what I want to do. But then the practical side of me kicks in and says, no time to dilly-dally! You need a paycheck and health insurance, woman!

Agreed that two weeks isn't enough time. But I'm certainly focused and motivated! And everyone at work is giving me leads and offers for recommendations. It's a good company, and I understand why it needs to make these changes. Challenging times, indeed. For people and the companies for whom they work.
Old 04-29-08, 01:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry to hear of this. hang in there!
Old 04-29-08, 04:55 PM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Virtually everyone I know who has had this happen has ended up better off. That includes me. This may be a great opportunity, perhaps not financially, but for your wellbeing.
Old 04-29-08, 05:49 PM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need a paycheck and health insurance, woman!
- that COBRA is expensive for interim care from what i understand...

- good luck on the transition...
Old 04-29-08, 06:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, now... that just sucks.

Having been unemployed myself about 4 or 5 or 6 times (once for a whole year) I can appreciate it, for sure. Seems I can never enjoy the time off -don't want to- cause I have no income and the uncertainty is hard to take. Besides, I feel guilty when Mrs S has to bring home the bacon. I have pretty good savings stored up and I think I could find something to do with my time (if Mrs S would allow) so I might be OK with it. One more RIF, though, and I'm rethinking my "career".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.