Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OT: A bit of a challenge for me

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 04:51 AM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts

I figure you all were as good a group to whine to as any. I have a problem. Our company has grown so much over the last year or so (47 people at last payroll) that it is now time to quasi retire the president so that those under him can do their job.

That would be me. It used to be my job to tell the entrepreneur he need to enjoy the fruits of his labor and stop working all the time. Now I am having to take my own advice.

This really hit since we just hired a full-time forestry engineer to do what I used to do in the plantations in quality control. My son is learning the software development (thankfully I can do something in helping teach him!) and all other positions are filled, we have accountant, office manager, and heads of departments.

Sigh, I am now a consultant in my own company.

So, having told more than a few people it is time to start relaxing, any clues how to do it?!

Having worked 70+ hours for since I was 18 years old, I am going through withdrawl I fear.
Old 05-13-08, 06:35 AM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you are writing to a bicycle forum the easy answer is...get out and ride. My other answer is learn to forget about work. If you have been a "workaholic", that might not be easy. That is where the biking can help. Go out and get with it.
Old 05-13-08, 06:51 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by crtreedude
So, having told more than a few people it is time to start relaxing, any clues how to do it?!
This is one area in which I'm an expert (see my sig--courtesy of Ferris Bueller's Day Off). As with all things, practice makes perfect.

Seriously--I recommend finding some substitute passions: Volunteering; art/photography; travel; teaching your wife how to stack the cans of soup in the cupboard; lavishly hosting your BikeForum friends.
Old 05-13-08, 08:00 AM
Third World Layabout

I have been working toward this day. I do ride, and I am cranking it up now. I love riding at night and I have a light for riding the dirt roads - or very early in the morning. We have lots of horses (14 at last count), 500 acres of tropical paradise, a full fledge furniture factory, a pond stocked with guapote and pinto.

I think I can manage to find something to do, that is not a problem. The problem is not feeling I should be working. Perhaps Tom Stormcrow will come down and put me on the coach... and rearrange 30 years and more of self brainwashing.
Old 05-13-08, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Travel. It's a great big wonderful world out there. Go and see it.
Old 05-13-08, 08:02 AM
Third World Layabout

And I don't mind hosting some visitors if anyone is in country. Joe and Heather are going to be neighbors (as in Joe Gardner, ex-owner of BF), I can go over there and bother them some times...
Old 05-13-08, 08:03 AM
Third World Layabout

Originally Posted by Terrierman
Travel. It's a great big wonderful world out there. Go and see it.
Not yet, but it is in the plans. I really want to cycle Scotland. We have a tandem and I would love to take it traveling with us. But, I might get a recumbent tandem.

Since I spent 25 years plus developing, I might do some work in Open Source. Give back some if you know what I mean.
Old 05-13-08, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
How long has it been since you last started a company? Why not start a new one?

Paul
Old 05-13-08, 08:26 AM

Bikes: '07 Trek Pilot 5.0, ~'92 Trek Navigator 400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obviously, given the venue, spending more time on your bike is recommended. Then cast around a bit for another game of some sort that you enjoy. The fishing is reported to be fantastic in Costa Rica. Not sure about the options for golf, tennis, etc. Sailing perhaps? It all depends on personality and what you like, but you might give serious thought to trying out some computer games, they can be fun and quite adictive. If you have a LOT of time on your hands I would recommend Everquest, you can fiddle with that 24/7 for five years and still have stuff that needs doing.

If not of that works you may have to break down and start up a new "retirement" business.
Old 05-13-08, 08:47 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could always move to Costa Rica. Oh wait... never mind.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-13-08, 09:11 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Disengage. Get out of the country for thirty/sixty/ninety days providing your staff with a phone number to be used only in case of emergency. Let them know you will not be answering the phone, will check for messages only every day or two, and will provide unpleasant sanctions for any non-emergency messages.

Once you have disengaged, find some good work.
Old 05-13-08, 09:13 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
How long has it been since you last started a company? Why not start a new one?

Paul
A bike touring company

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-13-08, 10:07 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
You sound like a perfect candidate for opening a bike shop.

It'll keep you working 70 hours per week and it won't put you into a higher income bracket.
Old 05-13-08, 10:16 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Having worked 70+ hours for since I was 18 years old, I am going through withdrawl I fear.
I'd say that it's time to build a Velodrome, start training some bicyclists and start planning a trip to London in 2012 as the official Costa Rican bicycling team.

London 2012 Olympics - bicycling events

That ought to keep you busy.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-13-08, 10:30 AM
Third World Layabout

Sounds like a few good ideas. I have no desire to start a major project, but there are some others that are interesting.

I used to fly fish a little in the states, I wouldn't mind taking that up and tying my own streamers and such for guapote in the pond. Might be fun. Costa Rica is one of the top places in the world for ecotourism - I might start touring with the bike a few days at a time.

I think the key is disengage and run away.
Old 05-13-08, 02:43 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Within my own little division of my company- I have been downsizing my job for about 5 years now. Finished up with the same salary but no responsiblity. Great.

It has left me more time at home but I have another hobby besides Bike riding- and that is gardening. Keep showing pics of my 1/4 acre that is too small- but Take up some other interest that will allow you time away from thinking about work. As soon as you can do that (The thinking about work bit) Then you will be on the road to a normal life with holidays abroad- planning trips up Ventoux and seeing if the trip to California can co-incide with an organised metric.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-13-08, 02:56 PM
Third World Layabout

I have a pretty sizable garden, let's say a half an acre, with a person to help care for it, and about about a 2 acre lawn, with same person to care for it.

I also have a very nice aquaponics system that I am having lots of fun with, I just need to spend more time with it.

The key is I just need to stop focusing on work so much, and spend more time focusing on other stuff.
Old 05-13-08, 03:03 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=crtreedude;6688301]I have a pretty sizable garden, let's say a half an acre, with a person to help care for it, and about about a 2 acre lawn, with same person to care for it.

I also have a very nice aquaponics system that I am having lots of fun with, I just need to spend more time with it.

The key is I just need to stop focusing on work so much, and spend more time focusing on other stuff.[/QUOTE]

You know the answer then--But it took me at least 3 years to get it done.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-13-08, 09:17 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I might get a recumbent tandem. <snip> I might do some work in Open Source.
These generally go hand-in-glove. Start one and the other is sure to follow.
Old 05-13-08, 09:57 PM

Bikes: '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem is not feeling I should be working.
As the doctor told the young lad that swallowed the peach pit, "This too shall pass".
Old 05-14-08, 04:22 AM
Third World Layabout

In other words, merely a transition time. Cool, I can live with that.

I am cranking up the miles on the bike, it seems to help.
Old 05-14-08, 05:59 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
retirement is a major life change, and like other changes, it will take time (anywhere from 6 months to two years or so, to get used to it). It is a blow to the ego after having people listen to your input and value your opinions. Take it slow and you will adjust. I am facing retirement at the end of this year, my choice, on my own terms etc, but still have moments of fear and trepidation, but I am confident that in the end I will be asking "what took me so long?"
Old 05-14-08, 06:32 AM
Third World Layabout

Originally Posted by Timtruro
retirement is a major life change, and like other changes, it will take time (anywhere from 6 months to two years or so, to get used to it). It is a blow to the ego after having people listen to your input and value your opinions. Take it slow and you will adjust. I am facing retirement at the end of this year, my choice, on my own terms etc, but still have moments of fear and trepidation, but I am confident that in the end I will be asking "what took me so long?"
I will still be a business owner indefinitely and having 40+ people at your beck and call means I won't ever feel neglected.

And, most of them are what you would consider able-bodied, i.e. their biggest claim to fame is they are strong and work hard. We are about to close our temporary office / home and move up to the finca where all is ready. It is hard to believe how nice it is to know I won't do anything more than set up the computer systems when they arrive.

Life is so very, very good. Not only do we have a lot of workers, we have a large truck too that we use for moving seedlings and wood. About the size of a 20 foot container.

Hmmm, there is a local kid around I use for cleaning computers, I bet he would even pack and unpack the computers for me...

I think I can get into this working about being lazy...
Old 05-14-08, 06:41 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
This is one area in which I'm an expert (see my sig--courtesy of Ferris Bueller's Day Off). As with all things, practice makes perfect.

Seriously--I recommend finding some substitute passions: Volunteering; art/photography; travel; teaching your wife how to stack the cans of soup in the cupboard; lavishly hosting your BikeForum friends.
Thank goodness I won't have anyone around to screw up my soup stacking system when I retire later this year

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-14-08, 06:44 AM
Third World Layabout

Originally Posted by Beverly
Thank goodness I won't have anyone around to screw up my soup stacking system when I retire later this year
There is no danger to me showing anyone how to organize anything other than businesses and software.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.