Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ride Food - What works?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ride Food - What works?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-08, 06:05 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ride Food - What works?

What do you eat and how often during a ride?

I have tried many things over the years - Fig Newtons were a staple for a long time. Dried fruits were used for a few seasons.
Power bars - look the same going in as coming out, taste the same too.
I tried a lot of stuff but I think I am narrowing in on what works for me.
Last year I discovered Soy Joy bars, they are light and tastey, easy to eat. I take a berry flavored one with a lemon lime gu after every hour in the saddle. Seems to work well for me. At the end of the ride I take a bar heavy in whey protein (Balance Bar).

What works for you?
Old 05-10-08, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
On the bike, I've been experimenting over the past few years and have settled on Clif Shot Bloks and Cytomax. Half a pkg of bloks every half hour or so, and drink often (what "often" is depends on the weather: more when it's hot, less when it's cool.)

At rest stops or convenience stores, I usually down some v-8 (carbs, fluids and electrolytes), strawberry Quik (LOADs of calories), chips (for calories and salt), a yogurt fruit smoothie, or if it's around meal time on a long ride (400k or more), a cheeseburger. Really - it goes down easy, settles my stomach (if it's bothering me), and gives me lots of time-release calories. If I'm feeling sleepy or sluggish, a Starbuck's Frappucino does the ticket. 300cal, and enough caffeine to wake the dead. It's the long distance cyclists' equivalent of nitrous. Oh, I almost forgot - PB&J sandwiches! Love 'em!

Scott P
Bend, OR
Old 05-10-08, 08:02 PM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Small bag of trail mix:
peanuts
raisins
sunflower seeds
almonds
banana chips
dried apricot

I also carry a Cliff Bar and a gel just in case.

If I need lunch, then I stuff in a peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole wheat bread.
Old 05-10-08, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I found a place to buy honey in packets of the same size used for ketchup at fast food joints. I take Wal-Mart Oats N Honey bars, two in a package, with me. When I stop I squeeze one packet of honey onto one bar and go down with it. I eat both bars at a stop. Also, I'll take along some beef jerky and dried apricots. A doctor told me that the protein in the jerky minimizes large swings in blood sugar. Also, I drink Gatorade mixed at home with the Gatorade powder. All of this seems to work. I have noticed that when I don't include the honey with the granola bar, I don't get the same boost. Perhaps honey is nature's original "gel shot."
Old 05-10-08, 09:04 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I have never tried gels or energy drinks; I figure if I need calories I would rather eat "real food."

On long rides, I try to have some kind of bland, hot breakfast (something like oatmeal, omlette, pancakes, or peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat toast) before the ride. Snacks are bagels, bananas, home-made trail mix. I will take an energy bar of some kind with me but only for emergencies. On really long rides I try to eat some protein too -- like some kind of blander flavored beef jerky.

If I stop at convenience store for food I'll get oreos or Fig Newtons.

Today I was on a long ride in the country and ran across an espresso stand at a crossroads -- it was chilly, and stopping for a double espresso was *perfect* and a nice pick-me-up.
Old 05-10-08, 10:10 PM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Comp w/FreeRadical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
I found a place to buy honey in packets of the same size used for ketchup at fast food joints. I take Wal-Mart Oats N Honey bars, two in a package, with me. When I stop I squeeze one packet of honey onto one bar and go down with it. I eat both bars at a stop. Also, I'll take along some beef jerky and dried apricots. A doctor told me that the protein in the jerky minimizes large swings in blood sugar. Also, I drink Gatorade mixed at home with the Gatorade powder. All of this seems to work. I have noticed that when I don't include the honey with the granola bar, I don't get the same boost. Perhaps honey is nature's original "gel shot."
I agree on the honey. I don't eat most of the stuff in energy bars (Dr. Esselstyn diet). But I get a big boost out of whole wheat pita filled with honey inside a ziplock bag. The pita gets saturated with the honey, which would be a mess to eat, but I just open the ziplock and sort of squeeze the honey saturated bread out and eat it. Seal the bag back up and everything stays neat.

Eric
Old 05-10-08, 10:54 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
less than 2 hrs, some gel and maybe a sports drink. if towns are around, i stop at a mini mart and usually get peanut butter crackers and a gatorade. on tour or long rides if towns are sparse, perpetuem
Old 05-11-08, 12:42 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Less than 2 hours and nothing- at 2 1/2 and I should eat something. I normally do an hour before stopping at a Cafe on the casual rides and normally carry an Oatmel Flapjack with me for later on. Longer rides up to 6 hours and it is ceral bars- dried fruit- Cake- small pack of cheese(For protein) and the bottles have energy carbo-hydrate drink in them. Longer than 6 hours and I have to find a shop or cafe to replenish with.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-11-08, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I can go a long way if I have a jersey pocket full of raisins, cookies, PBJ in any combination.

Tip: pick up those jelly packs at fast food joints, stuff a few in your seat pack for a quick energy boost in a pinch.
Old 05-11-08, 02:23 AM
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia

Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anything I can get my hands on.
at the moment its mainly fried rice, chicken, roti for breakfast or rice porridge.

I would love some fig rolls or jelly babies.

and mashed potato, I have been dreaming of mashed potato and gravy.

george
Old 05-11-08, 05:09 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just about any food works for me

bananas
oranges
apples
fig newtons
pb&j
pretzels
cookies
and so on.
Old 05-11-08, 05:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gummi candies work for me.
Old 05-11-08, 06:38 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I did the PMC last year, on the first day, 112 miles, the only thing I ate was fruit at the rest stops. Melon, bananas, grapes. I thought it was odd, (it was my choice, there were plenty of other options) but this seemed to be plenty. It was 95 degrees, so maybe that was a factor.
On short rides, I usually take along a banana or a small pack of fig newtons. Usually only drink water, tend to stay away from anything else.
Old 05-11-08, 07:03 AM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take a couple of PowerBars with me when I'm going to be more than 90 minutes and usually stop at about the one hour mark for one. If it's warm I'll take some Gatorade/Powerade for the break but just water if it's cooler. I've never ridden more than 50 miles using this combination but I plan on doing my first Metric in the next couple of weeks.
Old 05-11-08, 10:24 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Today was 50 miles - after yesterdays 40 miler in the hills. There was no attempt at a land speed record as I was still tired. Avg speed was just over 15. I used a gu and a soy joy at 25 miles, also a few dried apricots and another soy joy at 40 miles, carried a Hydration pack full of straight water and a single water bottle filled with Nuun at 1/2 strength. I finished them both by the very end - I could have used more Nuun. When I got home I downed a Balance Gold high protein bar (230 calories). The ride plus the food should have put me at a 2000 calorie defecit. So I can have a nice lunch and dinner.

So far since I have started riding again at the beginning of April I have lost 5 lbs, this summers goal is 12 more. The 5 lbs is half of the 10 I picked up over the winter. Not only am I trying for lower weight, I want to get to lower body fat and a better BMI. In the past I was never much for eating during a ride - what I was eating would make me sick to my stomach. Gatoraide, Poweraid or Cytomax would all make me gag on a hot day - even watered down. Most energy bars sat in my stomach like a ton of bricks. The Soy Joy is light and at 130 calories is just right and combined with the gel (100 cal) seems to be easy to hold down. That makes 230 calories which is about right for an hourly intake since the Nuun is just electrolites.

Next weekend when I ride the metric I will carry 4 bars as well as 4 gu gels and 3/2 Nuun tablets as well as one bottle premixed and the Hydration pack with straight water. My goal is to average at least 18 mph over the coarse and not fade at the end. There will be two rest stops and I can pick up more food if needed. I will be with 2 other riders and we can draft each other so this should not be much of a stretch.
Old 05-11-08, 10:30 AM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have come to the conclusion that I need to eat more often while on the bike. Did a pretty tough metric century--4400 feet of climbing--and felt a little bonkish for the last few miles. I really hadn't been paying much attention to my eating. I'm good with about anything. I like Clif's Mojo Bars (Hmmm. Wonder why). I am also going to start carrying GUs because they are easy to eat while you're moving.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 05-11-08, 10:46 AM
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't anyone ever just eat a sandwich?
Old 05-11-08, 11:09 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We buy Nature Valley Honey 'n Oat (or is it Oats 'n Honey? -- it's the one in the green package) bars in large boxes at Costco. They're a good, healthy source of carbs with a little protein.

On rides at least 2 hours I like to add O.J. to the bottom of the bottle with a squirt of honey and fill to the top with water. Or apple juice which also is a good source of potassium.

Bananas

Dried apple pieces

Homemade cookie bars with nuts, dried fruit, and chocolate chips

Oatmeal anything (cookie, bar, etc.)

Hubby recently read that you don't need to eat on a ride 2 hours or less. That might be the general rule, but everyone needs to find what works for him/herself, and I think it's a good idea to take along a snack on every ride because you never know if you might go much further than planned or get stuck somewhere with a flat and get hungry while you're fixing it.
Old 05-11-08, 11:25 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I am riding early morning I start off with PB on whole wheat toast or sometimes oatmeal. Lately I have been leaving the house about an hour before I would normally eat supper. I have PB on whole wheat (not toasted) before I leave and after about 1 1/2 hours of riding usually a kashi TLC bar. They come in 3 flavors to a box. I mostly drink water but if it is pretty hot I will start off with a home mixed slightly weak gatorade.
Old 05-11-08, 04:57 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forget peanut butter and jelly. Try peanut butter and honey, preferably with a banana.
Old 05-11-08, 05:10 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by megaman
Doesn't anyone ever just eat a sandwich?
I do.

I do better if I have a complete real breakfast - eggs, sausage or bacon, toast, maybe some potatoes in the morning. If I'm riding all day at lunch time I'll eat whatever they have wherever I happen to be. Deli sandwiches are a favorite but a hamburger is OK if that's all they've got. At the end of the day I tend to go for an electrolite replacement drink and maybe some fruit.
Old 05-11-08, 06:07 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I'm with RG. I like to start with eggs, bacon, home fries, toast, juice and coffee. (Although as a concession to hydration, the coffee is decaf.)

On the ride, I prefer fruit. My favorites are apples and oranges. They don't go bad on a hot day, do well on cold days, and are packed with good stuff. Tasty too. And I don't mind leaving an apple core or orange rind in the ditch.

On anything over 50 miles, I stop somewhere for lunch.

And pie.
Old 05-11-08, 06:46 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
For me it's almost the less the better. For long rides I eat a good breakfast of eggs and pancakes and go easy on the syrup.

Bananas and Lance Toastee Peanut Butter crackers are usually all I need. I'll also throw in some Cliff shot bloxs for electrolytes as well-and to break the monotony.

Yesterday I rode for 4+ hours and just had 1 banana, 1 pack of crackers 3 shot bloxs and 2 bottles of fluids.
Old 05-11-08, 06:47 PM

Bikes: Litespeed, Intense, Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PB and H on CR

That stands for peanut butter (or almond butter) and honey on cinnamon raisin bread.
In the bottle it is usually a gatoraid-ish concoction, maybe add a little protein or vitamin mix.
And, if stopping midride at a store, it is coke and chocolate chip cookies (indulgences!).
Old 05-12-08, 06:38 AM
Question Authority

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ride Food

Twinkies work for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.