Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 09-22-22, 09:19 AM
rvman

Bikes: Jamis commuter 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I'm 65, been riding forever. I come from bicycle riding stock. My late Grandpa rode bikes until he was in his 70's. He built us bikes when we were kids. He was a true utility type rider. He took his bike fishing not far from his house, and of course errands.. I'm trying to keep the bicycling thing going. My oldest boy (40) is into downhill mountain biking. His 2 bikes cost more than a lot of cars do. lol. I carried my mountain bikes on the ships with me during my 20 years of USCG Service. I've ridden in 29 countries. There was always someone to go riding with when we pulled into Port. I sure miss that. Even with 2 total knee replacements, fused ankle, fractured back and all kinds of other structural problems duw to being a heavy equipment mechanic I still enjoy my seat time, and love working on, maintaining, and customizing my bikes to my needs.
Likes For rvman:
Old 09-22-22, 06:46 PM
Wildwood
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Quoted: 3299 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,515 Posts
I had a 'senior moment' followed by a 'moment of clarity'. And a decent, normal ride.

Spent an hour getting ready to ride: dressed, all the tools, pump tires, water bottle, etc. Left cell phone on charger and reading glasses next to it.

A few miles in = Moment of mild Senior Panic. (actually more, 'awww, shat')

Then I remembered -

Before cell phones we did this risky sport every time with no communications or safety net.

Haha?

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-22-22 at 06:56 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 09-23-22, 06:33 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 328 Posts
Riding without a cell phone?! Almost as frightening as riding without: electronic shifting, hydraulic brakes, v-brakes, GPS, carbon frame/components, clipless pedals, 1x systems with pie plate sized low cog, etc. (feel free to add). Just a bunch of good ole riders on good ole bikes havin" a good ole time!
Likes For freeranger:
Old 09-23-22, 07:13 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 445 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger View Post
Just a bunch of good ole riders on good ole bikes havin" a good ole time!
Old guy, old bike(s). Makes perfect sense to me.

Likes For smontanaro:
Old 09-23-22, 10:24 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts
need a cell phone or, how would I get on the guest network at the local brewhouse after a ride...?
Old 09-23-22, 10:48 AM
Charles Lathe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I rode to the West Coast from my home in North Carolina this summer — 68 years old — without a cell phone because my wife and I just resisted them all these years. But after that trip, I decided to throw in the towel and get us both iPhones. Yesterday, I returned from a ten day rambling trip from home to the Atlantic coast and back to make it a two coast summer. The iPhone made the trip much easier. I was able to find grocery stores. I made a reservation for a campsite after I arrived at the state park and found that you can only get a site with a reservation. And, instead of making sure to make a Visa purchase every day so that wifey could track me, I just sent a text saying, “I’ll be camped at Howell Woods” or wherever.

On top of all that, I used an app called MapOut and it found some wonderful roads that I wouldn’t have found on my own. In fact, I came upon some hunters exercising their dogs on a quiet gravel road. They asked where I was coming from and where I was going. When I told them, they said, “How in the world did you find this road?” They were tracking their dogs with GPS collars and cell phones, but they were dumbfounded when I pointed to my phone and said, “The phone found it.”

I sure liked the pre-phone days, but I think they are behind me now.