Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   65-85+ Thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/418043-65-85-thread.html)

RonH 11-30-15 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This looks even better. My spine doc says leaning over the handlebars is great for my spinal stenosis. It stretches out the lower spine. :beer: Sitting upright is a killer for me.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=491020

elmore leonard 12-03-15 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
turned 75 last month and ride every day weather permitting. in the winter I ride this bike below. it has the same position as a exercise bike but travels much better and is a blast to ride. really works the upper leg muscles. http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=491558here's a pic.

RonH 12-20-15 03:12 PM

Did my last ride for a while on Thursday. My surgery is tomorrow. I have to be at the hospital at 5:45AM. :eek: I'm guessing the surgeon will say no riding for 2-4 weeks so my bikes will be getting some much needed TLC. :o

OldTryGuy 12-21-15 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 18403244)
Did my last ride for a while on Thursday. My surgery is tomorrow. I have to be at the hospital at 5:45AM. :eek: I'm guessing the surgeon will say no riding for 2-4 weeks so my bikes will be getting some much needed TLC. :o

Hoping everything went well for you today. :thumb: :thumb:

I had my focal cryoablation and immunotherapy injection on Thursday, 12/10. Doctor came in to recovery and declared I was cancer free and said he wanted me on testosterone ASAP. Bicycled 5 miles to LBS 2 days later with catheter in to say HI to the group before they left on the ride. Took catheter out the following Monday before dinner and had a more comfortable ride Tuesday morning. Bicycled to the LBS this past Saturday riding the Giant and biked 109 miles. Got my first Testosterone injection yesterday and seemingly having fewer overall weaknesses already. Could just be a mental wish but plan on getting out tomorrow for another 100 miler.

Keep us posted.

RonH 12-24-15 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 18405444)
Hoping everything went well for you today. :thumb: :thumb:

I had my focal cryoablation and immunotherapy injection on Thursday, 12/10. Doctor came in to recovery and declared I was cancer free and said he wanted me on testosterone ASAP. Bicycled 5 miles to LBS 2 days later with catheter in to say HI to the group before they left on the ride. Took catheter out the following Monday before dinner and had a more comfortable ride Tuesday morning. Bicycled to the LBS this past Saturday riding the Giant and biked 109 miles. Got my first Testosterone injection yesterday and seemingly having fewer overall weaknesses already. Could just be a mental wish but plan on getting out tomorrow for another 100 miler.

Keep us posted.

Glad to hear the good news. I'll find out next week if they got all the cancer. Freezing wasn't a good option for me. It was surgery or radiation and/or chemo. Not a fan of radiation or chemo.
After the surgeon removes the catheter next week I'll have to learn how to pee without a prostate to control the flow and stop the leaking. I guess I'll be wearing a diaper for a few weeks until I get my abdominal muscles trained to do that. :o

OldTryGuy 12-24-15 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 18412224)
Glad to hear the good news. I'll find out next week if they got all the cancer. Freezing wasn't a good option for me. It was surgery or radiation and/or chemo. Not a fan of radiation or chemo.
After the surgeon removes the catheter next week I'll have to learn how to pee without a prostate to control the flow and stop the leaking. I guess I'll be wearing a diaper for a few weeks until I get my abdominal muscles trained to do that. :o

Hoping for the best for you and your wife. :thumb: :thumb:

My doctor is a unique individual. He takes on cases where no further options were available according to experts and performs cryo when others say it is not an option. "AKA, Dr. Hope" an interesting read.

smoore 12-24-15 02:48 PM

Ron and Old Try, best of luck to the both of you. God bless 2016.

OldTryGuy 12-26-15 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by smoore (Post 18412682)
Ron and Old Try, best of luck to the both of you. God bless 2016.

Thanks much. Happy and safe New Year to you.

RonH 12-30-15 03:22 PM

Went to see the surgeon for my post-op follow-up and prostate lab test results. He removed the 30 staples in my abdomen. :eek: He said the cancer had grown from a 7 to an 8 in the 1-1/2 months since the biopsy in one area but there was no cancer present in the lymph nodes or surrounding tissue. That means I'm CANCER FREE. :)
I go for a cystogram tomorrow morning to check for any leakage. If all looks well they'll remove the catheter. I'm hoping that I'll be back on the bike in another 1-2 weeks. :thumb:

OldTryGuy 12-30-15 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 18424318)
Went to see the surgeon for my post-op follow-up and prostate lab test results. He removed the 30 staples in my abdomen. :eek: He said the cancer had grown from a 7 to an 8 in the 1-1/2 months since the biopsy in one area but there was no cancer present in the lymph nodes or surrounding tissue. That means I'm CANCER FREE. :)
I go for a cystogram tomorrow morning to check for any leakage. If all looks well they'll remove the catheter. I'm hoping that I'll be back on the bike in another 1-2 weeks. :thumb:

:thumb: :thumb:

Carbonfiberboy 12-30-15 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 18355906)
This looks even better. My spine doc says leaning over the handlebars is great for my spinal stenosis. It stretches out the lower spine. :beer: Sitting upright is a killer for me.

This is true. I have a bad case of it. I run my bars ~3" below my saddle. Glad things are turning out well for you.

RonH 12-31-15 04:20 PM

Got the catheter out today. :) Now I'll be wearing a diaper or pad for the next few day or weeks until I get my bladder function under control. Then I'm out the door. Guess I'll be taking the Litespeed for my first few rides. :thumb:

JanMM 12-31-15 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 18426875)
Got the catheter out today. :) Now I'll be wearing a diaper or pad for the next few day or weeks until I get my bladder function under control. Then I'm out the door. Guess I'll be taking the Litespeed for my first few rides. :thumb:

Happy tubeless New Year!

OldTryGuy 12-31-15 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 18426875)

Excellent way to begin a NEW YEAR!

Good Luck.

RonH 01-06-16 02:46 PM

Saw the surgeon again today. He said I could start driving again. He said I can start riding again in about a week so depending on the weather I'll be heading out on a warm no-wind day. Not sure how many miles I'll be doing but I know I won't be setting any speed records. ;) He said I could start hanging on my inversion table in another week. That will be a slow start. Hanging stretches the abdomen and that sounds scary. :o That too will be slow going. I'll probably start at about 15 degrees down max. :twitchy:

He said I'll be having a PSA blood test every 3 months for the next year. Then It will be every 6 months forever.

zonatandem 01-08-16 06:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
"Old" is 10 years older than what we are today!
Rudy and Kay at ages 83/80 still ridig TWOgether!

RonH 01-09-16 08:37 AM

^^^
Congrats and keep on riding. :thumb:

Burr 01-21-16 05:46 AM

That is great, just great.
If you didn't know how old you are, how old would you be??
I would be 52.3

RonH 01-21-16 07:05 AM

I was planning on doing my first post-surgery ride today. Supposed to be ~70F. I still don't have complete bladder control so I guess it'll be a few more weeks. :cry:

OldTryGuy 01-21-16 11:41 AM

Hang in there Ron, be it inverted or vertically compliant, things will improve and the biking miles will build again.

Wildwood 02-02-16 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 18355906)
This looks even better. My spine doc says leaning over the handlebars is great for my spinal stenosis. It stretches out the lower spine. :beer:

Hope you are better and will soon be stretched out on this beauty.
I like a bike with TT length + bars/shifters that allow a laid out lower back.
I should get a new pic to post. Later.

ctpres 02-04-16 09:28 AM

Looking for ideas on a special ride to celebrate my 77th year in a couple of months. Almost anywhere west of the Mississippi in May or June will be good. Not much of a climber - really struggled on the "Ride the Hurricane" last year.

Wildwood 02-04-16 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=ctpres;18511219]Looking for ideas on a special ride to celebrate my 77th year in a couple of months. Almost anywhere west of the Mississippi in May or June will be good.

This is maybe too far west of the Mississippi. Monterey Bay from Santa Cruz south to Carmel. Stay close to the coast and it's flat. So much to see and do.

West St Louis county has some excellent roads without traffic, and the Katy Trail for gravel fun around St. Charles.

Our Pacific NorthWest doesn't dry out til July in a typical year, at least the western portion.

These are the places i have lived, when i travel it is usually to the mts of Colorado. Inlaws in Grand Junction.

edit: Reread your post, you are looking for a larger organized ride. Sorry, no recommendations.

Outback Cayucan 02-06-16 12:08 AM

Consider San Luis Obispo Bike Club Wildflower Century last Saturday in April, a very well regarded event.

http://slobc.org/wildflower/index.html

Ron Harry 02-06-16 06:13 PM

ah...does me well to see this. Hope you guys have many more years with one another. Riding tandem with that special partner...something santa clause never brought a lot of us [me,ha]. Always just a dream I had. Glad to see others who have lived that dream...