Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   65-85+ Thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/418043-65-85-thread.html)

Len S 09-13-16 06:17 PM

Oh, I forgot this over 65 thread existed!!

JanMM 09-13-16 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Len S (Post 19053736)

Have you remembered yet? :)

McBTC 09-13-16 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 19053855)
Have you remembered yet? :)

I got carded the other day... over 65 is the new 20!

Jaxjag 09-13-16 07:46 PM

65 coming in January. I feel like maybe I have found a home.

Just bought a Specialized Sirrus fitness bike after years without cycling. The discomfort in my neck tells me I have not cycled in years and that I am almost 65. Hope it gets better!

RonH 09-14-16 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Len S (Post 19053736)

Alzheimer's?? ;)

RonH 09-14-16 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jaxjag (Post 19053916)
65 coming in January. I feel like maybe I have found a home.

Just bought a Specialized Sirrus fitness bike after years without cycling. The discomfort in my neck tells me I have not cycled in years and that I am almost 65. Hope it gets better!

Welcome to the "old timers" section from west central Florida. :beer:
Why haven't you posted anything (introduction, bike pics, etc) in the Southeast Regional subforum? Lots of friendly folks there. We even have a few Jax folks.

Jaxjag 09-14-16 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 19054775)
Welcome to the "old timers" section from west central Florida. :beer:
Why haven't you posted anything (introduction, bike pics, etc) in the Southeast Regional subforum? Lots of friendly folks there. We even have a few Jax folks.

Good question! My only excuse, and its a good one, is I had no idea that subforum existed! :p :lol:

I will introduce myself there tonight. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! :thumb:

Wildwood 09-18-16 07:13 PM

Dang, I gotta lose the gut

1 Attachment(s)
Put a quick one hour ride on the freshly refurbed '81/82 AD.

JanMM 09-18-16 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 19065316)
Put a quick one hour ride on the freshly refurbed '81/82 AD.

Just get a recumbent and you'll match the stereotypical 'bent rider. Wish I could have downtube shifters on my bikes.

Wildwood 09-18-16 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 19065434)
Just get a recumbent and you'll match the stereotypical 'bent rider. Wish I could have downtube shifters on my bikes.

Not there yet brother, not there yet. But will be ready for a low-racer some day. Waaay too many vintage thrills to give up friction on the tube shifting.

rawly old 09-21-16 01:14 PM

At 67, having had serious traumatic injuries to both legs, I have discovered leverage,(eureka!)
I can go just as fast with 24/11 as I could with 39/18 using a good deal less effort. I do
however keep a motorized bike in reserve for when I hit 80....90?

tsurr 09-22-16 11:15 AM

in Tennessee you have to show your ID whenever you buy alcohol , even at 72

McBTC 09-22-16 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by tsurr (Post 19074413)
in Tennessee you have to show your ID whenever you buy alcohol , even at 72

Maybe your new teeth make you look >20 years younger :)

Googled this (the exception that was passed effective May 15, 2015):

SECTION 3. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 57-3-406(d)(1), is amended by deleting the language “the adult consumer” in the second sentence of the subdivision and substituting instead the language “the adult consumer whose physical appearance does not reasonably demonstrate an age of fifty (50) years or older”.

Bike Tourist 09-24-16 01:20 PM

First post. I'm new to Bike Forums. Looks like a lot of categories. I recognized this as one I fall naturally into — I'm 80 — so I'll start here. I ride about 3000 miles/year, down substantially from the 8000 I used to ride in my prime (60s). I no longer use carbon fiber road bikes, although sometimes I wish I had one. My main horse is an ER Gold Rush. This week I've also purchased a Catrike Expedition so my rolling stock is pretty well set to take me into my 90s. I notice this thread seems to exclude riders over 85 (all 17 of them) so what happens on my 85th birthday?

Start a new thread, I suppose.

10 Wheels 09-24-16 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bike Tourist (Post 19078890)
First post. I'm new to Bike Forums. Looks like a lot of categories. I recognized this as one I fall naturally into — I'm 80 — so I'll start here. I ride about 3000 miles/year, down substantially from the 8000 I used to ride in my prime (60s). I no longer use carbon fiber road bikes, although sometimes I wish I had one. My main horse is an ER Gold Rush. This week I've also purchased a Catrike Expedition so my rolling stock is pretty well set to take me into my 90s. I notice this thread seems to exclude riders over 85 (all 17 of them) so what happens on my 85th birthday?

Likes my Expedition.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...tles%20004.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...6.16%20010.jpg

10 Wheels 09-24-16 01:26 PM

New Home for you....74 y/o here

Recumbent - Bike Forums

peterws 09-24-16 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by rawly old (Post 19072097)
I can go just as fast with 24/11 as I could with 39/18 using a good deal less effort.

That`s pretty much an identical gear . . .so the effort would be the same. Am I being too bloody clever? heh heh

rawly old 09-24-16 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by peterws (Post 19078970)
That`s pretty much an identical gear . . .so the effort would be the same. Am I being too bloody clever? heh heh

Yes, the ratio is about the same. That's the point! The difference is the amount of leverage
one can apply to the smaller chainring is considerably greater.
Try it if you don't believe me.
Think of the crank arm as a lever & the outside edge of the chainring as the fulcrum. The larger
the chainring, the less leverage the crank has against it. It's basic physics.

DougG 09-25-16 06:27 AM

Well, the official name of the thread is 60-85+, so you'll just become a "plus" member! ;)

As for your comment on the bikes, I'm 70 and just ordered a new carbon road bike -- a just-released Felt VR5 -- and I commented at the time that it would probably be my last bike of that type. I'm still a ways from any radical changes, but I'll admit that some of the new e-bikes are looking intriguing. I could probably ride quite a few more years with a bit of power assist on the tough sections.

DougG 09-25-16 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 19065434)

You do know that riding a recumbent requires you to have a beard, don't you?;)

DougG 09-25-16 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by rawly old (Post 19079197)
Yes, the ratio is about the same. That's the point! The difference is the amount of leverage
Think of the crank arm as a lever & the outside edge of the chainring as the fulcrum. The larger

Hmm... I'd have to refresh myself on my old mechanical engineering classes, but I think that the increased leverage at the crank is offset by the decreased leverage that the smaller-diameter 11-tooth cog applies to the rear wheel vs. the 18-tooth cog (i.e., the leverage that the chain exerts on the gear). In the end, all that matters is the overall gear ratio.

JanMM 09-25-16 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by DougG (Post 19079840)
You do know that riding a recumbent requires you to have a beard, don't you?;)

A grey/silver beard, of course.

badger1 09-25-16 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Guess I'm in ... sigh. 65 this month (9/11, sadly). Been in 50+ since joining BF.

Still riding my flat-bar road bike. I refuse to use the term 'hybrid'. Pic below; it's served me very well since '10. However, I'm contemplating a change next spring to the new geezer tech (Roubaix or similar), mainly because test rides confirm that my main problem with drop bars -- smallish/weak/arthritic hands having trouble with applying the brakes -- is resolved with the advent of road hydro discs.

peterws 09-25-16 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by rawly old (Post 19079197)

It still won`t alter the force from your propelling legs but might well shorten the life o` the chain . . . but extend the life of your chainwheel (large one)

Carbonfiberboy 09-25-16 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by peterws (Post 19080077)
It still won`t alter the force from your propelling legs but might well shorten the life o` the chain . . . but extend the life of your chainwheel (large one)

Yes. I got better drive chain life on our tandem when I started keeping it in the big ring (52) for everything over 54 gear-inches.