Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   65-85+ Thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/418043-65-85-thread.html)

McBTC 11-14-16 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ronno6 (Post 19191734)
It didn'
t even have a CV joint in the driveline....if it had, it probably would have won..............

But, did it have epicyclic gearing...?

Ronno6 11-14-16 07:37 PM

From : https://www.tititudorancea.net/z/four_wheel_drive.htm

Comes this:
Jensen applied the Formula Ferguson full-time all-wheel drive system to 318 units of their Jensen FF built from 1966 to 1971, marking the first time 4WD was used in a production GT sports car. While most 4WD systems split torque evenly, the Jensen split torque roughly 40% front, 60% rear by gearing the front and rear at different ratios.

So, how do you use different gear ratios to drive the same size tires at the same speed at the same time, with power being transmitted to the front and rear in different quantities??

I'm SO glad that the bicycle has only 2 wheels, USUALLY having only one driven......

McBTC 11-14-16 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ronno6 (Post 19192188)

So, how do you use different gear ratios to drive the same size tires at the same speed at the same time, with power being transmitted to the front and rear in different quantities??

The power is distributed via planetary (or, epicyclic) gearing.

Ronno6 11-15-16 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by McBTC (Post 19192409)
The power is distributed via planetary (or, epicyclic) gearing.

Makes sense.

RonH 12-15-16 03:31 PM

Ok, it's been a month since someone posted in this thread. Are all you folks up north buried in a snow drift. ;)

Had a nice ride today. My vest kept me comfortable for most of the ride. Had to remove it about 11 miles from the end of my ride. Did 30.8 miles on the Cannondale. :thumb:

linberl 12-15-16 03:57 PM

Just turned 67. It is absolutely pouring today so I'm reading bike forum postings instead of riding :-(. Not getting out to ride makes me cranky. I'm really astounded at how much a daily ride impacts my mood. It's not just the physical benefits - it's mental. Fortunately I live in California so my non-ride days are not frequent. Otherwise I'd be a ***** to live with ;-).

seedsbelize 12-15-16 05:50 PM

I'm in the same boat with the physical and mental stuff. Where I live it's my own fault if I don't get out, and I usually do, 6 or 7 days a week. Usually 15 - 20 miles, except a longer one on Sunday.

tsurr 12-18-16 06:22 AM

Me Too

Originally Posted by linberl (Post 19253602)
Just turned 67. It is absolutely pouring today so I'm reading bike forum postings instead of riding :-(. Not getting out to ride makes me cranky. I'm really astounded at how much a daily ride impacts my mood. It's not just the physical benefits - it's mental. Fortunately I live in California so my non-ride days are not frequent. Otherwise I'd be a ***** to live with ;-).

Same here, pouring the rain and cold wind the last two week, I get my fix here and spin classes

Wildwood 12-18-16 08:04 AM

Luckily here in the PNW, ski season is in full swing. Vastly more enjoyable than a gym, for me.

Wildwood 12-29-16 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jersey from a group ride this Fall arrived.
a persistent group of folks overcame some logistic problems for the last order of jerseys.
anyway this color combo may be unique as the original orange stripe sold out and could not be replicated.

dang, gotta clean a mirror some day. toothpaste&shavingcreamnosnotrocketsyaknoweh

Wildwood 12-30-16 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some days are 'Show Off' Days. This was a great day with son, who refuses to be photographed.

revchuck 12-31-16 04:26 AM

Just turned 65 a couple of weeks ago, so I figured I'd say "Hi!" to my fellow uber-geezers. I usually post over in the Master's Racing sub-forum but will keep an eye on y'all too now. :)

Wildwood 12-31-16 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by revchuck (Post 19281079)
Just turned 65 a couple of weeks ago, so I figured I'd say "Hi!" to my fellow uber-geezers. I usually post over in the Master's Racing sub-forum but will keep an eye on y'all too now. :)

So save the uber-geese the trouble of x-checking, post up a 65+ Master's Racing bike or two. :lol::lol:

revchuck 12-31-16 06:23 PM

Since you asked...

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...psel6z3lhv.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...psmplksyv8.jpg

1saxman 01-04-17 03:54 PM

I've been eligible for this thread for almost seven years but have not been cycling or checking in on this forum for longer than that. But 1/1 marked a new beginning as I got on the bike for the first time in years. I had a follow-up ride today and will try to get out twice a week or more from now on. So far I'm only riding 45 min to an hour at a time - the old body does not want to do this at all. But, I have gotten up on the big chainring and small cog a few times which surprised me. My legs are fine - I could ride much longer, but my bottom end does not like it at all. I know its just going to take time to get myself acclimated to it. Also, I don't do road bikes so I'm on an old 1992 Trek 930 (in perfect condition) with smoother/narrower tires. When I got this bike around 2000, I kept it because it fit me so well. Now, thirty pounds heavier, I keep telling myself 'It'll come to you in time'. I think it will but its tough now.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...psoupeypza.jpg

1989Pre 01-04-17 04:07 PM

If you hang tough now, 1s, things will be a lot different come spring. All your sinews and (whatever else is in our bodies) will loosen up. Wait and see. You'll be surprised. Don't expect too much performance in winter.

Originally Posted by 1saxman (Post 19291314)
I keep telling myself 'It'll come to you in time'. I think it will but its tough now.

1saxman 01-04-17 04:22 PM

Yes, I know. I expect to be out there twice a week if its 40F or above. Years ago when I rode to work that was my cutoff point. I didn't want to have to wear cold-weather cycling gear and then change clothes. I don't mind wearing the gear now though since I'm not going to the office anymore :) - maybe I can extend my envelope down to 32F.

1989Pre 01-04-17 08:05 PM

Yeah, bring an extra set of clothes in case your sweat freezes. That's what I like to do. I'll throw on a new shirt when I stop for food.

smoore 01-05-17 04:35 PM

Hey Saxman,
Since it's been a while and you've put on a few pounds, consider getting a brief fitting at your local bike shop or at least...ask them to give you a quick once over in the parking lot as far as saddle height and reach to the bars is concerned. Also, don't be afraid to play with the saddle a bit, especially since you mentioned your "bottom end". Or, you may find that you need a different saddle entirely if you are still in pain a month from now. I have ten saddles on m wall from 35 years of riding but my current saddle hit the bulls eye and I now have NO discomfort regardless of miles. NONE...a darn Christmas miracle if you ask me. It's a Selle Anatomica leather and you can find plenty of threads about it elsewhere on this forum. Good Luck!

Wildwood 01-05-17 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by smoore (Post 19294062)
Hey Saxman,
I have ten saddles on m wall from 35 years of riding but my current saddle hit the bulls eye and I now have NO discomfort regardless of miles. NONE...a darn Christmas miracle if you ask me. It's a Selle Anatomica leather and you can find plenty of threads about it elsewhere on this forum. Good Luck!

+1^^^
Saddles have evolved some in the last few years. Some people find a split rail design can ease pressure on soft areas. Selle SMP is one style like this, many manufacturers offer a version of the split saddle concept.

CrankyFranky 01-05-17 09:42 PM

Cracked a rib 4 weeks ago, so today was my first commuting ride in for the new year. 31°F and a bit windy. Can't go up stairs at hardly, but I can still roll! I'm happy to be one of the younger members here, at 67.

Darn it, they're going to grit the roads after tonight's snow. I hate grit!

Biking is much better than thinking about biking, any day. Here's to many safe miles (or kilometers) to all in the coming year.

Ride on, comrades!

1saxman 01-06-17 05:10 PM

Congrats, Jim! I guess everyone saw the news report about the 105 yr old Frenchman who set a record in the 105 age class (he's the only member :)) for over 19 miles in one hour on a closed course. Well, he has sort of thrown down the gauntlet for us who are A QUARTER CENTURY YOUNGER THAN HIM! I can guarantee that I cannot equal that at this time, but I will one day.

John_V 01-06-17 06:48 PM

Great weather for a great 40 mile ride. It looks as if tomorrow is going to get rained out. :(

Wildwood 01-07-17 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by 1saxman (Post 19296590)
Congrats, Jim! I guess everyone saw the news report about the 105 yr old Frenchman who set a record in the 105 age class (he's the only member :)) for over 19 miles in one hour on a closed course. Well, he has sort of thrown down the gauntlet for us who are A QUARTER CENTURY YOUNGER THAN HIM! I can guarantee that I cannot equal that at this time, but I will one day.

The reports i read indicated his distance for an hour = 22.547km. 14 miles versus 19.
Certainly not disparaging his distance/speed; just setting the record straight.

RonH 01-07-17 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by John_V (Post 19296749)
Great weather for a great 40 mile ride. It looks as if tomorrow is going to get rained out. :(

Not only did it get rained out but it's COLD and WINDY this morning. :o That's why I decided to ride yesterday when the weather was awesome. :beer: