Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-10, 07:08 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doing good Rat, keep turning the cranks.

Wish I was riding with you.
Old 06-01-10, 07:10 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ron, how old are you?
You still riding something?
Old 06-02-10, 01:41 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm 65 and ride this several times a week (old picture).

Speaking of "old" --- We got back from a 3 week cross country trip (by car) last week. My wife had never been west of the Mississippi and wanted to see the other half of the country. Three weeks off the bike is awful. My speed is WAY down, my climbing is bad, and my breathing is still not right. I guess another week or two and maybe I'll be back to "normal". I HOPE!!!!!

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-02-10, 04:22 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, nice ride.

That's a nice picture.

Keep Cranking
Old 06-03-10, 03:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I belong here, I'm so old that I automatically get senior discounts even though I ask them to card me.
Bob
Old 06-04-10, 06:14 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by talucah
I belong here, I'm so old that I automatically get senior discounts even though I ask them to card me.
Bob
Have they start getting up and giving your their seats on the subway/train/bus??
Old 06-04-10, 06:45 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
Have they start getting up and giving your their seats on the subway/train/bus??
I hate to tell you this, but "they" don't do that any more.
Old 06-04-10, 12:34 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Good one!!!!, Very good one!!!
Old 06-07-10, 09:40 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Burr’s great return to the Peddles.

Temps have been close to a hundreds and the humidity the 70’s but today I got my but on the bike again.

NO MORE EXCUSES.

2 mile course, flat a little wind and lots of room. Temp 95 humidity 68 and pure sun shine.

Music PodRunner, long sleeve white pullover shirt (Mandatory per doc and wife)
5 laps and a break for Gatorade then 5 more lap

About a 70 cadence 15 mph. I’ll get batteries for computer today and fix Heart Rate Monitor.
Old 06-08-10, 10:47 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to post this today but I just found I have a ride thread so I'll post my rides over there from now on. want to see my rides, go there.

Off Day Ride,

After doing my weight lifting routine I did a 14 mile city ride between trucks and cars, people cussing throwing cigarettes butts out of windows and baby dippers.

Great ride but I was a tired when I got home and my arms were falling off.
Used my city bike, mountain bike with 1” slicks. Made five stops alone the way and spent three hours all together.

Ready and primed for tomorrow real ride.

Schwinn GS721840 City Bike
REI Randonee 99E423 Touring Bike
Diamondback Expert T6T 04517 Road Bike
Old 06-09-10, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My hamstrings usually are very tight about three quarters into my rides(usually 40 to 58 miles). My feet would get hot, numb after about 3 hours. I would unclip and wiggle my feet around with only minimum relief. Once, out of frustration, i extended my whole leg straight back while moving, it seem to work very well. I forgot about it and just put up with the pain. I did this on my Birthday ride towards the last miles and it helped. Now i thought what if i do this as part of my warm up and during my rides, would it work? Since i want to do a Century would this help keep me from getting tight? The answer is yes. I tried it on my 57 mile ride on Monday and was not tight at all. What i do is while doing about 18 to 20 mph i unclip on foot, extend it straight back, rotate my hip a little which lifts me off the saddle, balance on the opposite leg then do a scorpion from my knee to my foot and flex about 10 times as i glide. I can also rotate my foot and find relief. I just switch sides after regaining speed. I tried this into a 15 to 20 mph head wind and did not get very tired. I kind of feel like an ice skater gliding on one foot. Tried it again today and did 52 miles and my hammies are not tight.
Old 06-10-10, 02:34 AM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad that works for you Rat.
I haven't get had that problem and over here don't guess I will just going around a loop.

Our bodies are wonderful if we just take care of them.
Old 06-10-10, 08:20 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Burr, i feel for you. I was in Manilla for a couple of weeks in 1966, felt like the Sun was closer than anywhere else. Was in the Orient for 3 years and the humidity was just oppressive. Throw in those crazy drivers, Good luck. Stay safe.
Old 06-10-10, 11:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
I live in a rual area so I don't ride buses, but young ladies carrying babies open doors for me before I can open for them.
Bob
Old 06-11-10, 09:01 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by talucah
I live in a rual area so I don't ride buses, but young ladies carrying babies open doors for me before I can open for them.
Bob
Great, now all they gotta do is give 65+ some better tax breaks. After all, we have paid, paid, and still paying!!
Old 06-11-10, 05:57 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LAriverRat
My hamstrings usually are very tight about three quarters into my rides(usually 40 to 58 miles). My feet would get hot, numb after about 3 hours. I would unclip and wiggle my feet around with only minimum relief. Once, out of frustration, i extended my whole leg straight back while moving, it seem to work very well. I forgot about it and just put up with the pain. I did this on my Birthday ride towards the last miles and it helped. Now i thought what if i do this as part of my warm up and during my rides, would it work? Since i want to do a Century would this help keep me from getting tight? The answer is yes. I tried it on my 57 mile ride on Monday and was not tight at all. What i do is while doing about 18 to 20 mph i unclip on foot, extend it straight back, rotate my hip a little which lifts me off the saddle, balance on the opposite leg then do a scorpion from my knee to my foot and flex about 10 times as i glide. I can also rotate my foot and find relief. I just switch sides after regaining speed. I tried this into a 15 to 20 mph head wind and did not get very tired. I kind of feel like an ice skater gliding on one foot. Tried it again today and did 52 miles and my hammies are not tight.
Well, found out what my problem was. My seat stem was slowly going down the seat tube. I had taken the bike out and started getting ready for my ride when i noticed that the seat and handle bars were almost even. Whats up with that? i thought. Got my tape measure out and wouldn't you know it, 2 inches off! Put the seat back where its supposed to be. What a difference on my ride. Had power in my stroke and hammies were happy. Felt strong all day. Just one more thing to check before heading out.
Old 06-15-10, 11:26 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Anybody been to any good funerals lately?
Old 06-16-10, 02:07 AM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had three in two days last month and hope that's it for a while.

Rode on my city bike the last two days, about 15 miles a day around town. I'm doing a brake job on the pickup so I can't get my bike the the grave yard where I ride. If I try to ride to there I may end up in a grave. Temp's are in the hi 90's so I'll try to finish the brakes tonight when it's a little cooler.
Old 06-17-10, 02:39 AM
LerpwllWelsh

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2003. Bike Friday World Tourer. Trek 1.2Alpha

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, Fellow Fogies:

Rode my folder (a DownTube) from Gatwick airport to Wimbledon yesterday in beautiful weather but horrendous traffic: since I have no map yet I had to use the main roads. Mostly rode on the sidewalks, much interrupted by low-hanging branches, encroaching stinging nettles, and hundreds of kerbstones. And I found out it is illegal in this country. Stopped at a beautiful picnic ground at the top of Reigate Hill, which crosses the North Downs. Don't know how far the ride was - the computer is still set to kilometres and I didn't look at it anyway. I was about tuckered by the time I found a hotel - the laptop and camping gear stowed on the rear rack with three precarious bungees didn't help. Now to do some business in London, and then off to tour the west coasts of Britain and Ireland.

I've been lurking here for a while envying others their adventures. I'm 68, have a heart condition (who doesn't, these days!) and this is my fourth big tour. The first was from the Rio Grande to Labrador, Canada, at age 62. The next was from Alaska to my home in Austin, TX, at age 66. Last year I rode from Amsterdam to Poland across the North Gereman Plain, stopping in all the ancient Hansa cities, and this year it's Britain. So much to do and so little time to do it!!
Old 06-17-10, 02:50 AM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boy, you got a hard life!

I read and still have a book about that walked around the edge of England and I loved every word.
Maybe someday I could ride it, I can't walk all that well with Diabetics but I can ride like a fool.

Please keep us posted on your trip.
Old 06-17-10, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You just don't have that pathetic, just a frail old person look down yet. My wife and I have even had it happen in Denver!
Old 06-27-10, 04:46 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn, isn't anyone doing anything/

I promise, I'll ride tomorrow if I have to use pontoons on the sides.
Old 06-27-10, 04:52 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Burr
Damn, isn't anyone doing anything/

I promise, I'll ride tomorrow if I have to use pontoons on the sides.
I'm riding about 125 miles per week. Is that doing something?
Old 06-27-10, 08:36 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm riding about 125 miles per week. Is that doing something?
Yes,
Old 06-27-10, 11:10 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, now get your buddies to ride also

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.