Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 12-13-12, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not have the bike until January but it's going to be painted a dark grey metallic with a touch of purple when it's in the light (modern steel metallic). I have been buying components since the beginning of September and it's going to be a 3x10, shimano/ritchie. I built the wheels myself and they are Mavic Open Pro, 14/15 butted spokes. I put 700x25's on it to start off with.
Old 12-13-12, 06:54 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Good choice on the Open Pros. I'm on my second set on my Litespeed (wore out the first set).
I switched from 700x23 to 700x25 last spring. Haven't noticed any change in my speed and the handling seems a bit better in tricky situations.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-13-12, 09:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the 25's look good on the rims. I went for a quick ride after work today on my Surly LHT and towards the end a guy in a 4x4 ran me off the road. So you never know as one minute your on the asphalt and the next your doing the cyclo cross thing. I have 700x28's on my Surly so riding in the gravel and dirt was not really a problem and I was not really in danger of falling.. I am not much worried about speed being 65y/o and all so 25's and the extra bit of weight will make no difference to me.. The roads around here are in poor repair so a bit more tire helps to soften up the rough roads. Once I get the lightouse I am going to give the Surly to my youngest son. He is a college student and wants a commuter transportation bike and the Surly will do him just right. It will probably fit him a bit better then it does me as it is just a bit to large for me and he is taller than I am. The Lighthouse is a fitted frame and will fit like a glove.
Old 12-19-12, 11:43 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Burr's Great Ride,
Great Ride on my city bike (Mountain Bike with slicks and folding baskets), 30 miles across a dirt/cement road in the rice fields. Nice wind, temp was 87f and got a little spot of rain.
Had to climb two freeway over passes in low gear but a great ride
Old 12-24-12, 02:23 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Got a bit wet yesterday on the ride. Kept warm but not dry and the only problem was de watering the bike afterwards. WD works wonders.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-24-12, 05:37 AM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Merry Christmas from tomorrow.

Tell me why??

We had my birthday party at Shakeys and we bought home enough food to feed a small Army and yet MY WIFE has been in the kitchen cooking all afternoon, Why?
Old 12-24-12, 09:03 AM
Life is good

Happy Birthday Burr.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-25-12, 04:26 AM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank You Ron!
Old 01-04-13, 06:13 PM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I just saw this thread and can only say "it's about time." I don't come here that often, but I do recall that right when I first discovered BF at all was just when the 50+ forum was added, so does that make me a "charter member?" And how many years ago was that, anyway? (The previous question gives me my 65+ bona fides, as I obviously have the CRS condition that so many of us suffer from!)

But in any case, like some similar forums I belong to (such as runners' forums for "Masters", defined as 40+), at 65+ there's almost a generation's worth of gap to the youngest members of the forum. So sometimes we don't all have as much in common as we do within a narrower age range. I was even chastised in a runners' forum for always going on about how great it is to be able to run (and bike) any time I like on weekdays, forgetting that most of the others in the forum are not retired. Probably no danger of that in this thread.

So, short of having a forum to ourselves, I will probably return to visit this thread more often!
Old 01-05-13, 09:01 AM
Life is good

Welcome Doug. Yes, you should stop by often.

Old 01-05-13, 08:15 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hang out Doug.

We ain't getting older, we are getting better
Old 01-06-13, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hope everyone had a great holiday season. They seem sneak up, and come faster and faster at our age, but I'm looking forward to some quality time in the saddle this year, which to me, is any time I can spend on my bike is quality time, and to ride away some of those extra pounds I put on during the holidays, as in my case were pretty much unavoidable. At least that is my excuse. LOL!
Old 01-18-13, 08:02 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
....... are not retired. Probably no danger of that in this thread.

Hold your horses! Some of us are still working. I could retire, but the lure of a good income, some excitement at work and an increased ability to help my son, DIL and grandson move to California is keeping me going. The biggest challenge is the travel which I really don't enjoy, but you can't have everything (well, maybe you can after you retire).
Old 01-27-13, 11:25 AM

Bikes: 2013 Trek Superfly AL 29er hardtail, 2005 LeMond Tourmalet, 2004 Cannondale Road Tandem

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Yesterday was a beautiful winter day in the suburbs southwest of Chicago. We live only a mile from Green Valley Forest Preserve, so I rode my new mountain bike over and enjoyed the sunshine, blue skies, 24 degrees, and no wind at all. There were a few sets of foot prints on the 8 miles of crushed limestone paths; but mine was the first set of mountain bike tire tracks in the one and a half inch snow we received Thursday morning. What a treat!

Last edited by 3bluebikes; 01-28-13 at 08:20 AM. Reason: verb tense
Old 01-27-13, 06:52 PM
Life is good

Welcome to the 65+ club.
Originally Posted by 3bluebikes
Yesterday was a beautiful winter day ..... 24 degrees ..... one and a half inch snow we received Thursday morning.
I'll be thinking about you tomorrow while I'm out riding. Supposed to be in the low 80s(F) and sunny. That's precisely why we moved to FL -- no more cold temps.

Old 01-28-13, 09:04 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
One of the advantages of being over 65 is the opportunity to score a KOM on Strava Why, I hold KOMs on two segments of a local climb in both 65+ and 200 lb+ categories Of course I'm the only senior and the only 200+ to have done this climb on Strava, but I'm not going to tell anyone.
Old 01-28-13, 05:24 PM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
I know the rules say you have to be 65 to post here. Well, I'm going to cheat, and post right here, right now, a day before my 65th birthday. I'm doing so ust because I can, and because I'm worried that after midnight, whatever is left of my rebellious spirit might fade entirely away.
Old 01-29-13, 05:32 PM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Welcome to the 65+ club.

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow while I'm out riding. Supposed to be in the low 80s(F) and sunny. That's precisely why we moved to FL -- no more cold temps.
Group ride today - 23miles, 16 mph. 83F. Phew!
Old 02-03-13, 11:07 AM

Bikes: 2013 Trek Superfly AL 29er hardtail, 2005 LeMond Tourmalet, 2004 Cannondale Road Tandem

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Rode my new mountain bike over to Green Valley Forest Preserve again yesterday. Love the way those big 29" tires roll through the snow. Wonderful Winter Ride!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
02022013002.jpg (37.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-03-13, 05:10 PM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Same spot, 24 hours later, 24 degrees F. Just love my new Superfly AL!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
02032013001.jpg (49.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-03-13, 05:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting spot I just found on the internet. I was intrigued by your 65+ thread and joined. I haven't biked in years since I was in my 30's and this week I did a 26 mile ride with three friends. I turn 72 in April so think I qualify for the thread. After I finished I couldn't figure out my thighs so called my daughter who bikes in the mountains. She mentioned lactic acid and stretching and massaging. So I did a few stretches and sat in front of the TV watching Phil Mickelson chew up the competition and massaged my thighs. What a surprise when the ache disappeared. Now I am off to tune up my FujI as I found it didn't perform like when it was new 3 years ago. This Saturday we are aiming for 30 miles.
Old 02-03-13, 05:47 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I'm 67, today, and can't remember if I posted when I was 65............. It's hell to get old...................
Old 02-05-13, 01:54 AM

Bikes: two old bikes, one new one on order

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 65, 66 in May, so I qualify for this thread. I ride everyday, either on my bike or in a spin class. SoCal can be conducive to year round cycling, though I'm not much for the cold. The bicycle has made me dream of doing things like traveling and riding. My wife and I went to a Trek Travel presentation the other night at my local bike shop. It was pretty cool, nice girl giving the rap. I couldn't figure out why she didn't have a video of the places they traveled. She just talked it out and had a lame slide show. The buffet table and the wine was good though.
Old 02-05-13, 10:35 AM
Life is good

We're in Atl today for a final visit with our old docs. It's flippin cold.
Can't wait to get back to warm FL.

Welcome stew.

Old 02-07-13, 02:25 PM
Coppista

Bikes: Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love an optimist... (lol) good stuff... 61 myself. reckon that's close enough...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.