Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Utility Bike for the Ex.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Utility Bike for the Ex.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 11:55 AM
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Utility Bike for the Ex.

My ex has been feeling the squeeze at the pumps. I was trying to figure out how much it would cost for her to get on the road in a better manner.

She has not really been on a bike since I've known her. She says she would prefer a pedal forward design so that she can put her feet down at stops. I'm not sure if a Giant Suede or Electra Townie are within the budget.

I imagine that most of her riding would be utility riding. Shopping and errands and a minor possibility of carrying her JRT and toy poodle to the nearby park. She lives in the desert, most of her riding would be on flat, wide roads with the biggest hill being a freeway overpass. There are many shops within two miles.

I assume that she will have to learn to fix a flat, but that most other repairs will be done at her local LBS.

I've been trying to think of everything she would need to get started and get a estimate on it.

Women's Giant Simple Seven $330.00

Bell Vela Helmet $45.00

Blackburn Trail Rack $30.00 and Avenir Metro Panniers $40.00 or Avenir Metro Shopping Pannier $40.00
or
Wald 215 rack $25.00 with 2 Wald 582 Folding Rear Baskets $46.00

Lock $40.00

Front/Rear Light Planet Bike Beamer 1 Lightset $30.00

Bungee

Pump Floor and Bike $60.00

Tubes $7.00

Park Tool Bicycle Tire & Tube Repair Kit - TR-1 $5.00

Craftsman Wrench Set $60.00

LCI Road 1 course $50.00

The accessories cost more than the bike!

Have I forgotten anything? Any ideas or comments? Is this the best bang for the buck?

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-14-08, 12:41 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
My ex has been feeling the squeeze at the pumps. I was trying to figure out how much it would cost for her to get on the road in a better manner.

Have I forgotten anything? Any ideas or comments? Is this the best bang for the buck?
one important accessory you have forgotten is the tow rope. Give her a couple of months and she will be disapearing into the distance so something to get a tow with would be a definite must.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-14-08, 12:44 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For my ex I would buy the heaviest, ill-fitting, Wally-World POS bike I could find. I'd probably also soak the chain in an acid bath for a day or two, after cleaning off every trace of lube. And for good measure, I'd adjust the brakes so they drag just a little bit.

Question: why are you spending time thinking about/helping your ex? That's unnatural.
Old 05-14-08, 01:08 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
For my ex I would buy the heaviest, ill-fitting, Wally-World POS bike I could find. I'd probably also soak the chain in an acid bath for a day or two, after cleaning off every trace of lube. And for good measure, I'd adjust the brakes so they drag just a little bit.

Question: why are you spending time thinking about/helping your ex? That's unnatural.
+10,000 except I wouldn't be this nice.
Old 05-14-08, 01:09 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP

Not to everyone After all, in many cases that ex is still your kid's parent.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-14-08, 01:43 PM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
So get a more expensive bike.
Old 05-14-08, 02:34 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know a woman whose ex-husband and current boyfriend (unconnected to the divorce) together helped her move. I thought that was rather civilized. The ex-husband then moved closer to her new house to be closer to the children. They all seem to get along rather well.
Old 05-14-08, 02:51 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Awwwww...

Old 05-16-08, 12:08 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yeah, just because you can't live together, doesn't mean you can't be friends. Sometimes a little distance is the key to successful relationships.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-16-08, 07:49 AM
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SSP
+1
Old 05-16-08, 03:58 PM

Bikes: Giant Simple 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Giant Suede (7 speed) I bought last year was about the same price as the cruiser (Giant Simple 7). both are great bikes as far as I'm concerned. Love the stylishness of the Simple 7. I ended up with the Suede because of the pedals/crank forward and the fact that I have to ride on washboard dirt roads to get to the pavement. Love being able to get my foot down fast - has saved me from some falls. If I lived where everything was paved, I might have picked the cruiser because it's got that classic look.