Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First goal of the year

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

First goal of the year

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-08, 07:45 PM

Bikes: Raleigh SC30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First goal of the year

Today was my first goal for this year, I hit 1,000 miles on my new bike!!!

If someone would have told me two years ago I would be riding 1,000 miles on a bike I would have told them they were crazy.

Last weekend I went with a group that took us from 4,982 ft. to 7,522 ft. in 70 miles round trip & this weekend I'm planning a trip with my co-worker that will be 80 miles & go from 4,982 ft. to 6,929 ft. but it is steeper then the other ride, most of the miles on this trip is getting to the climb.

This will be my last big ride for two weeks then I do my first century ride. Everyone has told me that I needed 1,000 miles under my belt & that would be a good base for a century so now I have it so I feel like I'll be ready.

I've had good friend that have helped me train & learn how to ride better on the hills.
Old 05-16-08, 08:30 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nice going.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 05-16-08, 08:48 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Great progress; sounds like you're more than ready.
Old 05-17-08, 07:19 AM

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed, Citizen folding bike, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A century is as much a mind game as training. Just ride. You'll do fine with what you've done already. Good going BTW.
Old 05-17-08, 12:01 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Terrific! Keeping logging those new milestones. A few years from now you'll look back and think how in the world did I accumulate __________ miles on a bike. And more importantly all the great memories.

Enjoy the upcoming climbing as well. Doing a climb is so much better than riding in a headwind......just something to help with the mind game as your climbing!!
Old 05-17-08, 03:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got back from the ride with my buddy & it ended up being 76.33 miles.
The hills sucked, there were two of them. The main 8 miles up to Jamestown wasn't to bad, just a couple little steep places, but it was the little extra loop he added that killed me.

Doesn't count our stopping, but time 4:57:32, miles 76.33, average speed 15.3 (that is because of going 48 mph downhill) and parts of it was only at 3-4mph.

I think I did o.k. not sure if I drank enough water, ended up drinking 4-24oz bottles of water, gatoraide mixed. Ate two clif bars & a few shots & that was it. Might need to add a little more food as well, specially on the century ride.

Now my buddy called & said they are doing Estes Park tomorrow & asked if I wanted to go with? It supposes to be beautiful tomorrow so I'm thinking about it.

So would it be pushing my body to much to ride another 70 miles tomorrow with half of it coming down hill? The difference tomorrow is from 4982 ft to 7522 ft. so I'm not sure if I should do it, I really don't want to burn myself out.
Old 05-18-08, 03:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so here is how the "Recovery" ride went up to Estes Park today.
3:46:29 actual riding time. Around 5 hours total time from start to finish.
56.14 miles
14.8 average speed
52.9 Max speed (just past the switchbacks on Devils Gulch) My highest speed so far.

I'll know next time this group isn't the one to do a recovery ride with . My legs were shot by the time we got out of the narrows. Pretty cool being able to keep up with traffic & I passed one car.(it slowed down for construction & bumps so I went around them) I do have to say this weekend weather was SO MUCH better then last weekend. Last weekend I went with another group & we got snowed on.