Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Always something to learn...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-08, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Recently I've been struggling with pain in the perneous tendon and muscle on my right ankle. It's been bad enough to keep me from rides longer than 50 miles for some time. Well, about three weeks ago the Speedplay pedals gave out (bearings shot and pedal body cracked and chipped) and it was time to replace them. A friend suggested that I try Look Keo pedals with limited float, because it might reduce the tendon and muscle pain I was experiencing. Upon checking prices I found I could get a pair of the Keo Sprint pedals for about half of what the Speedplays would cost. Well, 340 miles later and I can report that the pain is almost non-existent. And much to my surprise my knees are dealing with the limited float just fine. When I asked my friend how he knew that too much float might be causing my pain, he replied that he learned it from Sheldon Brown's (rest his soul) web site. Sure enough Sheldon was on to a cause of ankle pain that could easily be transfered to my own experience. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/pain.html#ankles

So, I thought I needed the free float to help with my knees, only to learn that the free float was causing problems elsewhere. There is always something to learn.