Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   To all you military folks, past and present (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/422111-all-you-military-folks-past-present.html)

Dellphinus 05-25-08 06:19 AM

To all you military folks, past and present

Hey, all you vets and active duty folks,

From me and mine, know that all you are doing, and have done is appreciated, and you have our sincerest gratitude and support.

Our favorite sport here on 50+ is just one of the things we tend to take for granted that would not be possible without your sacrifices.

chipcom 05-25-08 07:08 AM

I, and I am sure every other vet here, appreciates the thought, but here's the thing, at least for me.
I feel very uncomfortable with folks thanking me and such - more so on Memorial Day. which is a day for remembering all those who didn't come home, unlike Veteran's day, which is for all vets. That is what makes me uncomfortable, I don't deserve to be thought of in the same company as all those who made the ultimate sacrifice. So thank you, but I hope you'll take a moment to remember and honor those brave folks.

Again, I appreciate it, and those are my own thoughts, not trying to speak for anyone else.

RockyMtnMerlin 05-25-08 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by chipcom (Post 6756806)
I, and I am sure every other vet here, appreciates the thought, but here's the thing, at least for me.
I feel very uncomfortable with folks thanking me and such - more so on Memorial Day. which is a day for remembering all those who didn't come home, unlike Veteran's day, which is for all vets. That is what makes me uncomfortable, I don't deserve to be thought of in the same company as all those who made the ultimate sacrifice. So thank you, but I hope you'll take a moment to remember and honor those brave folks.

Again, I appreciate it, and those are my own thoughts, not trying to speak for anyone else.

Chip - thanks for saying that. I wanted to but did not know exactly how to. You conveyed my sentiments precisely.

DnvrFox 05-25-08 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin (Post 6756943)
Chip - thanks for saying that. I wanted to but did not know exactly how to. You conveyed my sentiments precisely.

+1

KLW2 05-25-08 08:52 AM

Chipcom, Thanks.

Remembering my father... CMH recipient WWII, KIA Viet Nam.

swan652 05-25-08 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin (Post 6756943)

+1

Bob S 05-25-08 05:32 PM

+1

+1

JetWave 05-25-08 06:20 PM

Anyday & everday that we wake up & can live a life in freedom, enjoy every tiny little thing in life is a day that we should thank all the great guys & gals, past & present who put their lives on the line for us. We just can't thank you enough.

Dellphinus 05-26-08 11:02 AM

Sorry, it was not my intent to make anyone uncormfortable.
As to remebering those who gave it all, yes we do, every day, but especially today. We lost 6 uncles in WW2, and had 5 more come home. Two are still with us today.

And as to those of you currently serving feeling as if you "don't deserve to be thought of in the same company as all those who made the ultimate sacrifice", I respectfully beg to differ- you do, and will, at least by me and mine.

And if conflict is what it takes to ensure freedom and democracy, I thank God for you, and those like you, who are willing to risk it all for the rest of us.

Here's to long life, no wars, and tailwinds.

aqua4her 05-26-08 11:34 AM

Dellphinus, as the wife of an active duty Army guy I know he would appreciate your kind words.

Please let's also remember the families who have lost loved ones. These special days can be particularly difficult for them.

HAMMER MAN 05-26-08 06:01 PM

your post is appreciated,personally it is hard day remembering many friends who did not come.
But as each year goes by the remmeberance never fades in a sense it becomes more acute.

thank you

drew55 05-26-08 06:26 PM

Dellphinus / Chipcom / all add on and "+1s" Very well stated and quite timely. Although the holiday is officially to recognize those fallen, thankfully everyone uses it to thank those that are still surviving at it and their families sacrifices as well.

THANKS to ALL!!!

chipcom 05-26-08 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dellphinus (Post 6762248)

Nooo, again, I appreciate it and thank you...it was just your post that made me finally write what I had been thinking for years - that I actually feel guilty that I am here while others are not. Dude, you got more out of me than dozens of shrinks and do-gooders! ;)

CB HI 05-27-08 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dellphinus (Post 6762248)

Don't feel sorry. As Chip said, we appreciate the sentiment.
You almost have to be a living Vet to understand, without being told. It is something that living Vets just feel in our hearts.

Veterans day is in honor of all Vets.
Memorial day (in our hearts), is a much higher honor for those that gave their lives; not only for America’s freedom, but to save their buddies lives (that would be us living vets).

linux_author 05-27-08 05:54 AM

good to read this... just came in from the front to get the paper and retrieve the numerous flags i put out...

(i fly flags a number of times during the year: May 7-8 (V-E Day), third Saturday of May, Memorial Day, June 14th (Flag Day), July 4th, Aug. 15th (V-J Day), 9/11, Veterans (Armistice) Day, Dec. 7th, etc.)

the 20 years i put in certainly helped define my life and i will always treasure the comradeship of old friends...

tks to the OP for the good thoughts, and thank you from a retired vet...

HopedaleHills 05-27-08 07:57 AM

I echo Chipcom's sentiments exactly. Thanks

WalterMitty 05-27-08 09:48 AM

+1 Chip

Reflections