Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

sad admission...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

sad admission...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-08, 09:28 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
The good news is: Nobody cares.

Case in point: Yesterday a tire blew on my road bike as I was about to head out on a big group ride. So I grabbed by my 25-year-old fat-tired touring bike. Ended up riding 50 miles with a charming and rather attractive young woman who had a purple bike with purple pedals and purple socks, purple shoes, purple shorts and a purple jersey, oh, and purple gloves and a purple helmet. She was so busy being purple and I was so busy being charmed that no one seemed to notice my rust bucket with a quill stem.
You sure about that?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-26-08, 09:42 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl

Wasn't this lass I encountered last summer, was it?
What a beautiful woman!
Old 05-26-08, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Hey, for me, a LWB recumbent brought back feeling marvelous. So much comfort, so little pain. bk
Old 05-26-08, 12:14 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Hey, for me, a LWB recumbent brought back feeling marvelous. So much comfort, so little pain. bk
I'm rattled enough about changing the angle of my stem. I don't think I'm ready for a recumbent yet.
Old 05-26-08, 12:17 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Was her hair purple too?

PS-if you happen to sign up for the class with the 19yr olds let us know so we can have EMS on standby......

And remember to bring pics!
Old 05-26-08, 04:46 PM
Old Fogy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I'm on the drops, there is either a heck of a headwind, or I just got passed by another old coot.
Old 05-26-08, 05:25 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by capejohn
I can't remember ever being in my drops.
Goodness! Does this mean it's been so long since you've used drop bars you can't remember !

Or just that you've never ridden a bike with drop bars ?

East Hill
Old 05-26-08, 05:47 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I think maybe you should have gotten a Specialized Roubaix, no problem in the drops at all.
Old 05-26-08, 05:52 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How interesting...I just ditched my 100mm tall stem bought a 75mm stem with 7° angle. I wonder what the future has in store for me.
Old 05-26-08, 06:06 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

When I put my Delta Stem Riser on it looked pretty bad to me so I put one of these on too and now it looks a lot better and it is a great place for a granola bar, small camera etc. I was gonna take a picture of my bike with it on it but I would have had to get up off the couch and go all the way out to the garage to do it.
Old 05-26-08, 07:15 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
I'm rattled enough about changing the angle of my stem. I don't think I'm ready for a recumbent yet.
I'll be polite and not suggest that maybe you should start doing some preliminary research on bents.
Haven't bought a bike with drop bars since 1979 - mountain bike, hybrids, tandem (with an adjustable stem for the Cap'n) and now riding the Older Person's Recumbent Bicycle.
Old 05-26-08, 07:23 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Don't worry about how it looks! If it feels good, do it.

I went to a slightly larger frame on my last bike (per Rivendell sizing, though it's a Calfee and not a Rivendell) and I'm much for comfortable overall, plus . . . I ride in the drops a lot now, as to almost never on my smaller framed bike.

So don't become too focused on one part (like the stem, or the drop depth of the bars), but look at the whole picture (which you probably knew anyway . . . ).

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-26-08, 08:25 PM
flying on 2 wheels

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7100 - modified. 2008 Orbea Onix Dama - Campy Centaur

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
Drops?
Wait... is that the hookey sort of thing on the bottom of the handlebars? Isn't that where you're supposed to hang your helmet when you're not riding?
Old 05-26-08, 10:34 PM
whl
MrBill54

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Marrakesh, 2016 Trek Crossrip Elite, 1986 Schwnn Tempo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... lurking newbie about to post...

After my recent substantial weight loss, I've convince myself that I'm 25 years younger and so yesterday I re-subscribed to BICYCLING magazine and I bought a new Road bike. For the last 10 years, I thought that I was destined to only ride a bike path bike.
I've missed the road bike feel though I think too that I'll be on the hoods more than I was with my old Schwinn Tempo.
CCCorlew, your posts are interesting and funny to read. I too, have a similar pretzel girl experience...
Old 05-27-08, 02:36 AM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
You need to watch more races and see how little time the pros spent in the drops.
Old 05-27-08, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
You need to watch more races and see how little time the pros spent in the drops.
Not sure what you're trying to say here, but if they're trying to get away, they're in the drops.(pic-umd)

Old 05-27-08, 08:31 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
A few years back I went to a shallower drop bar and a higher stem to bring my bars up from 3.5" below saddle height to 1" below and it was a great move. I am much more comfortable when on the hoods and much less hesitant to go into the drops for a headwind, a downhill or a fast stretch of flat road. Fortunately I have a threaded fork steerer and quill stem, so I could go with a Nitto Technomic Deluxe stem and keep the traditional level stem extension.

Recognizing the benefits of a higher bar doesn't indicate you are over the hill. But recognizing any reason to leave a room full of 19y/o girls stretching and contorting is a pretty sure sign that it's all over.
Old 05-27-08, 08:34 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Not sure what you're trying to say here, but if they're trying to get away, they're in the drops.
True enough, but that represents a small part of the time in a road stage for most riders. The bulk of the time they are on the hoods.
Old 05-27-08, 10:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm.....I'm going through the exact opposite experience. My LBS-built LHT was set up with a "geezer stem" - angled very much upwards so that the bars were about 2" above the saddle. I recently discovered that I was very comfortable riding in the drops, to the extent that when I got down into the drops the hand-numbness and butt-pain were relieved. I just lowered my stem about 1/2" and raised my saddle about 3/4". Much better, and I'm thinking about lowering the stem another spacer-worth.

Stretching exercises? I just got seriously back into Service Rifle shooting, and I think that the 200 yard sitting position requires one to get into a very stretched-out position with the elbows hooked in front of the knees. The first several times in this position, I could really feel my back stretching - to the point that it was painful! Now, since I'm stretched out, it's quite comfortable.

It's curious how the two sports complement each other. The sitting and prone positions in Service Rifle require one to get really stretched and flexible, which helps the riding. The cardio workout of riding helps with the respiratory pause and steadiness of position, which helps in shooting.
Old 05-27-08, 10:27 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by conurejade
Wait... is that the hookey sort of thing on the bottom of the handlebars? Isn't that where you're supposed to hang your helmet when you're not riding?
That's about all I use it for I have been known to use them in strong headwinds.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-27-08, 11:16 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting...I'm no Gumby, but I guess I must be an exception to the "old guy with a bad back" rule.

I'm 55 years old, and my Surly LHT commuter is set up with the bars about 2.5" below the saddle.

My Trek Madone race bike is set up with the bars around 3.5" below the saddle.

And my Cervelo P3C TT/tri bike is set up with the bars about 5.5" below the saddle.

So far, no back issues for me.

However, I do ride nearly every day, and I've been doing more stretching and low back exercises recently to prepare for some upcoming time trial races. Here's hoping I never have to join the "flipped stem club".
Old 05-27-08, 11:22 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I found a photo of the part I bought....
Needless to say it is not pointed in the same direction shown here...

Ad copy: "This unique Specialized stem is adjustable in 2-degree increments from +/- 8-degrees to +/- 16-degrees ensuring dialed ergonomics. This forged beauty also features an oversize 31.8mm clamp and a 4-bolt face plate for exceptional strength."
Hey, that's MY stem.
Old 05-27-08, 11:27 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
Interesting...I'm no Gumby, but I guess I must be an exception to the "old guy with a bad back" rule.

I'm 55 years old, and my Surly LHT commuter is set up with the bars about 2.5" below the saddle.

My Trek Madone race bike is set up with the bars around 3.5" below the saddle.

And my Cervelo P3C TT/tri bike is set up with the bars about 5.5" below the saddle.

So far, no back issues for me.

However, I do ride nearly every day, and I've been doing more stretching and low back exercises recently to prepare for some upcoming time trial races. Here's hoping I never have to join the "flipped stem club".
Now I have two reasons to hate you. No Mac version of CycleStats and now this flexible over 50 stuff.
I'm not dead in the water here, My new stem brings my bars up to just ever so slightly below my seat.

I'm also thinking of (well, shopping for) shallow drop bars. Then I can put that stem a bit lower.

But I've never been really flexible and now I'm even less so.

I guess I need to work on that
Old 05-27-08, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, some of us ride bikes with 19"stems.
Old 05-27-08, 09:14 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now I have two reasons to hate you. No Mac version of CycleStats and now this flexible over 50 stuff.
I'm not dead in the water here, My new stem brings my bars up to just ever so slightly below my seat.

I'm also thinking of (well, shopping for) shallow drop bars. Then I can put that stem a bit lower.

But I've never been really flexible and now I'm even less so.

I guess I need to work on that
LOL - well, now you'll hate me even more. I measured my 3 bikes and the drop from saddle to top of bars (or, aero bar pads) is:
  • For the Surly LHT - 3 inches
  • For the Trek Madone - 4.5 inches
  • For the Cervelo P3C - 8.5 inches

Just call me Gumby, I guess.

As for recumbents....I'll ride one when they pry my cold dead fingers off of my carbon fiber drop bars.

As for no Mac version of CycliStats - thankfully, newer Macs are based on Intel chips and can now run most of the fine Windows programs that have been unavailable to Mac users for so many years. This includes CycliStats - I have quite a few users of the program who are running it on their Macs using the Windows emulator options that are now available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.