Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

brifters, how to?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

brifters, how to?

Old 05-26-08, 03:37 PM

Bikes: Old Fuji

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
brifters, how to?

After returning to riding after a bunch of years away doing running and such I have this day purchased a very nice Bianchi Eros with brifters. It's a used bike in good shape and it's well adjusted. The problem is this ole dude does not really understand the brifter sequencing. I do understand the "when I push down a shifter I get a change of gears" but I'm really unsure of the changing of chain rings to match the changing of rear cogs. Then again how on earth do you take the gears back up? Now mind you so far I have spent a few hours cleaning and waxing and only a few minutes astride the Bianchi but a bit of "theory" insight would really help tomorrow morning when I go out.

Please forgive me for questions asked too often but a bit of understanding would help greatly

Last edited by Kap142; 05-26-08 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-26-08, 03:50 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Kap142
but I'm really unsure of the changing of chain rings to match the changing of rear cogs.

Then again how on earth do you take the gears back up?
Think of your bike as having 2 or 3 gear ranges corresponding to riding uphill or on the flats. Use whichever front chainring matches the terrain and use the rear shifter for fine tuneing.

To shift the gears back up push the big brake lever toward the middle.
Old 05-26-08, 05:47 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think what he is asking is how the Campy Mirage brifters work. Does anyone have them on their bike?
Old 05-26-08, 06:07 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,227 Posts
I don't have Mirage, but Veloce and higher groups work like this:
your right hand controls the rear cogs - push on the thumb shifter for smaller cogs, for larger cogs push the lever inside the brake lever to the left.
your left hand controls the front deraileur/chainrings - push the thumb shifter for a smaller chainring, for the larger rings push the lever inside the brake lever to the right.
Old 05-26-08, 07:16 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Actually, Kap142,

Just go out and ride for a few hours and try them out. They're a lot easier to understand by using them then they are to understand by reading about them.

Plus, since it's a used bike, it may not have the original brifters. Campagnolo, Shimano and SRAM have a different procedure, but the end results are exactly the same. In other words, don't be afraid, just do it.

After you've ridden them for a couple of hours it all becomes intuitive anyway. No worries!

Rick / OCRR