Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A good floor pump.

Old 05-28-08, 10:51 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A good floor pump.

I just spent over an hour patching a flat on my recumbent. No problems with the tube or patch, unless you consider that the tube is attached to a presta valve. I honestly don't understand how they get away with selling those troublesome valves.

I have a Bontrager pump. I couldn't seem to get it to pump up the tire to over 50 lbs before the air leaking out exceeded what I could pump in. Strangely, I also added air to the rear tire and that seemed to work. But I finally had to finish pumping up the front tire with my Road Morph.

I'm ready to go back to Schraeder, but I don't know if can get a front tire in Schraeder.

Or is Bontrager just that bad? Its supposed to work with Presta and Schraeder, but I can't even guess how it adapts for Schraeder. Are there better pumps out there.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-28-08, 10:56 AM
SaiKaiTai

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Topeak Joe Blow Pro. What a GREAT pump.
It does automatically switch between Presta and Schraeder.
Honestly, I've never had any real problems with Presta and especially not with that pump.

Last edited by SaiKaiTai; 05-28-08 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-28-08, 10:59 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best pump I have used is the Specialized Air Comp. The head on this pump is very good and I go between regular presta and presta extenders which are wider and it never has a problem sealing. I also had a Bontrager Power Wrench and it was a piece of junk the head would never seal right.

2013 Noah RS
Old 05-28-08, 11:02 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Specialized pump and have sold many others on it as well.

Checked on the website: This is the one I have. It costs $65: The cheaper one ($30) works as well, it's just not as "shiny" .

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=25946

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 05-28-08, 11:28 AM
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased a Team Hurricane floor pump at Performance Bikes. Same features as the Topeak Joe Blow and 20 bucks less. It features a top mounted easy to read gauge,extra long hose with a smart head,padded handle and extra large foot base. Hits 140psi easily and is rated to 160psi. $39.00 worth of solid floor pump. Lp
Old 05-28-08, 11:34 AM
ajk03

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When #3 son left for college in Minnesota, he took along his bike and my old Blackburn floor pump. It was a flimsy excuse to buy one of these: Topeak Joe Blow Pro

It's an excellent pump. The Smarthead locks onto either Presta or Schraeder valves with no difficulties. I like it!

Al
Old 05-28-08, 11:50 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
The Topeak Smart Head works great with both Presta and Schraeder valves. I replaced the damaged hose on my Zefal Husky with a Smart Head upgrade kit and I love it. Be sure to get a pump with a metal tube, not plastic. My old Husky with a steel tube and wooden handle feels like it should last until the next ice age.

P.S. Anyone who can't master something as simple as a Presta valve probably shouldn't try to ride a bike.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 05-28-08 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-28-08, 11:58 AM
mistertwo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a
Filzer Zephyr Pro Team Floor Pump!
from MEC awhile back and have been most impressed. It accommodates both Presta and Schrader. We'll see how the seals hold up over time though...
Old 05-28-08, 03:10 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
The Topeak Smart Head works great with both Presta and Schraeder valves. I replaced the damaged hose on my Zefal Husky with a Smart Head upgrade kit and I love it. Be sure to get a pump with a metal tube, not plastic. My old Husky with a steel tube and wooden handle feels like it should last until the next ice age.
I have a couple of floor pumps and the problem with both of them was the connector onto the tube. One of them just does not work and the other has a limit of around 90psi before no more air can get into the tyre. So down to the LBS and I bought a floor pump- one they recommended and to prove how good it was- they got me pumping up tyres in the shop. One of them was a racing tub- and as I started on it- they said "200 psi in that one" Well my new pump got to it- with only a bit of struggling. The head worked OK but was a bit fiddly.

So I had just spent a fortune on a Pump that worked- and they now wanted me to buy a better connector. I lasted 3 weeks with the fiddly connector and back to the LBS to buy that Topeak smart head connector. It is fantastic. Works on schraeder and presta and can get to 140 with ease.

A Good upgrade that is worth the money on any cheap pump. Then if the pump is still at fault- you already have the upgrade for your next pump.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-28-08, 03:21 PM
MNBikeguy

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
P.S. Anyone who can't master something as simple as a Presta valve probably shouldn't try to ride a bike.
OOOHH!! Ouch! lol....
I've found a couple drops of lubricant (such as white lightning) makes the seal a bit tighter and less finicky.
Old 05-28-08, 04:39 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have a Blackburn floor pump down at the residence in Louisiana. It has a dual head and does a great job. Up here in northwest AR, I have a Pyramid floor pump, and it does a good job, too. The Pyramid is a cheap pump with a plastic tube, but it will get my road bike tires to 135 psi, no problem. Once in a while the little pin that holds the lever in place wants to slide out, but I know to watch for it, so no problem. Both the Blackburn and the Pyramid have gauges.
Old 05-28-08, 05:03 PM
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can sure tell you which one to stay away from.

This thing only works half the time...on some valve stems it's like pulling teeth to get it to work. Sometimes you have to hold the head just so to get it to pump. Junk in my opinion.
Old 05-28-08, 05:08 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 11004 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts

P.S. Anyone who can't master something as simple as a Presta vale probably shouldn't try to ride a bike.
Like BluesDawg, I find Presta Valves very simple to use. Many many many of the posts I read about Presta difficulty lead me to believe that some of you are pushing the pump nozzel too far onto the valve in the mistaken impression that it opens mechanically.

Do not push in on that stem (other than a quick tap to unstick it) It opens automatically when air pressure in the pump exceeds air pressure in the tube. It closes automatically when air pressure in the tube is greater than air pressure outside. If you are not pushing on the stem...........................it will NOT leak air back out while you are disconnecting the pump.
Old 05-28-08, 05:18 PM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why just the other day a beautiful blond came in and asked if I would show her how to inflate a tire. Using a JoeBlow I was able to show her how easy it really is. She wasn't sure if she had Presta or Schrader. Whatever she had was inflated properly. Oh, sorry. Back to the bike. So as not to minimize the opportunity for a teaching moment I also showed her how to remove a front wheel, adjust her brakes - front and back, adjust the FD and RD and .....................

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 05-28-08, 05:21 PM
tpelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a cheap Nashbar floor pump with a gage (actually I have two of 'em - one set up for Schraeder for my Trek mtb and the other set up for Presta for my Surly LHT), and I have no trouble at all pumping my LHT tires up to 105 PSI.
Old 05-28-08, 05:45 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Joe Blow (either model - I have the cheaper sport) with dual heads works for me.

And, no problem with prestas, once I learned not to bend the top of the stem so it doesn't break off!!
Old 05-28-08, 06:16 PM
CACycling

Bikes: '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being lazy (and having 16 tires that like to be topped off, some several times a week), I bought a small 12V compressor at Walmart for $10. It has a built-in guage (that is actually pretty accurate) and works fine on shraeder or presta using a screw-on adapter. All of my family's bikes (except my commuter) are hung in the garage so I can just start at one end and work my way down the row.
Old 05-28-08, 06:42 PM
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Joe Blow Sport that I go off of ebay and it works great. I never go over 120 psi but it probably does. I got mine on ebay, here is one listed now. http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Topeak-Joe-B...2em118Q2el1247
Old 05-28-08, 07:21 PM
Paniolo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Joe Blow Sport that I got 4+ years ago. It has been great, but after thousands of uses the seal in the valve has started leaking. I will probably get that smart grade upgrade kit ... $15 at performance. IIRC I paid under $20 for the whole pump at REI.
Old 05-28-08, 08:05 PM
Old Hammer Boy

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ajk03 View Post
When #3 son left for college in Minnesota, he took along his bike and my old Blackburn floor pump. It was a flimsy excuse to buy one of these: Topeak Joe Blow Pro

It's an excellent pump. The Smarthead locks onto either Presta or Schraeder valves with no difficulties. I like it!

Al
The Joe Blow Pro is outstanding. I also like that the handle locks so it can be carried by the handle without it extending up. It's a wonderful pump.
Old 05-28-08, 08:16 PM
Steverino

Bikes: Orbea Avant M20i Team-D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Joe Blow (either model - I have the cheaper sport) with dual heads works for me.
+1
And, because it is bright yellow, its easier to find in the back of the car...
Old 05-28-08, 08:17 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been using Presta valves for years - never a problem except with hand pumps. My floor pump is a Joe Blow Ace - best pump I have ever used hands down. My old pump blackburn struggled to get up to 120 psi and when I pulled off the head it blew off too much air - the Joe Blow hardly lets any out on release and with the multi-pressure settings makes that last bit of pressure easy.
Old 05-28-08, 08:18 PM
stevesurf
another cat...FAB!

Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Park Tools...metal pump head...wish I bought two!
Old 05-28-08, 10:03 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paniolo View Post
I have a Joe Blow Sport that I got 4+ years ago. It has been great, but after thousands of uses the seal in the valve has started leaking. I will probably get that smart grade upgrade kit ... $15 at performance. IIRC I paid under $20 for the whole pump at REI.
Contact the company - I bet they will give you a new pump. I got a n ew valve end free, no questions asked.

Then, I got the old one working again, and put it on my OTHER floor pump, which did not have dual valves.
Old 05-29-08, 06:17 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I have the $30.00 Park Tool pump. It works great.
These Michelin Airstop tubes are threadless, and work better for me. The pump head pushes on easier, and seals tightly.

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-29-08 at 06:20 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.