Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OT: AT&T or Cox for land phone?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-08, 12:33 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Currently i have a land line from AT&T, a cell phone through Verizon. I'm moving and wondering if it's better to bundle my land line with Cox Cable or leave it with AT&T. Visiting the websites and trying to understand the plans and determine which might be a good value for me is an exercise in frustration. Frankly, I can't stand the "service" i get from either vendor.

That said, anyone with any input on using a cable company for a land line phone number? I guess I'm asking which hell is worse: AT&T or Cox?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-30-08, 02:01 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I would dump the land line entirely. Land lines are obsolete.

As far as cable companies, they pretty much all stink.

Worst case scenario, if you are convinced you need a land line, I would go with Skype or similar, and still not have a land line. Not sure which one of the internet phone services are cheapest, it used to be Skype. But again, I would just stick with your Verizon phone, and say goodbye to the whole land line concept.
Old 05-30-08, 02:30 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
That said, anyone with any input on using a cable company for a land line phone number? I guess I'm asking which hell is worse: AT&T or Cox?
Well, Cox doesn't service Little Rock, so it would be no problem for me to decide. I guess you just have to figure out which service you despise less.

Have you thought about two tin cans and a string?

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-30-08, 02:41 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
This is only true if you are one of the 4 out of 5 who live in a metro area.
Old 05-30-08, 02:44 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Traditional phone service (AT&T) is more reliable. Cable phone is more susceptible to outages. If you have a cell as a backup that probably isn't a huge issue unless you happen to have life support/monitoring equipment that requires dialtone. Not sure about Cox but most cable phone rates include free long distance and no toll charges. Depending on your usage that can be significant. If you're already a Cox customer for TV and or internet the bundling rates can be even more advantageous.
Old 05-30-08, 04:57 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
I would just stick with your Verizon phone, and say goodbye to the whole land line concept.
+1
We did this about 2 years ago and haven't looked back.

FYI: We had a cable land line about 10 years ago. It was out for 3 days on one occasion. Calling the cable company on a pay phone to find out about service is not fun.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-30-08, 05:31 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Cable modem? Get Vonage VoIP. With tax and everything, mine is $20/mo.
Old 05-30-08, 06:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know if this is true everywhere with every system, but a year or so ago a co-worker changed her phone service to be bundled with their internet service. She found that anyone who called her was being charged with a long-distance call, even if they were just across the street. I'd check on that.

Personally I believe that I could bag my landline service and just go cellular, but I don't think I'd bundle with cable TV or Internet.
Old 05-30-08, 07:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Cable modem? Get Vonage VoIP. With tax and everything, mine is $20/mo.

i have a dryloop dsl from att $19/mo + Vonage at 39.99 with unlimimited talk to venezuela and other countries...
if no int'l calling is needed then it runs you about 24$ a month unlimited in the usa, canada and other parts
Old 05-30-08, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I use Vonage. I make quite a few long distance calls, so it pays off for me. Once in a while, the cable modem suffers a brain fart, and I lose service. I disconnect the power from the modem, connect it again, let the modem reboot, and it's good to go. I'm satisfied with it.
Old 05-31-08, 12:11 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Big thing over here is broadband. Plenty of providors and I use Tiscali. 8mg line- free phone calls and all for $50 a month. Move to the UK. On second thoughts- Stay where you are and sort your own problems.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-31-08, 01:34 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by ad6mj
Traditional phone service (AT&T) is more reliable. Cable phone is more susceptible to outages. If you have a cell as a backup that probably isn't a huge issue unless you happen to have life support/monitoring equipment that requires dialtone. Not sure about Cox but most cable phone rates include free long distance and no toll charges. Depending on your usage that can be significant. If you're already a Cox customer for TV and or internet the bundling rates can be even more advantageous.
Land line phone service is more reliable than either cable or cell phone. In a major emergency, it may be the last communication system running, outside of amateur radio or CB. However, land line's advantage is eroding through neglect -- I was without land line phone and DSL for a flabbergasting and unprecedented 6 days in December.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069